RF3 vs RF82

i96rcr

I believe there are several people here who have had/heard both.  I'm sure someone with experience will weigh in.

I am a fan of judging speakers in your living room, with your amp, with your ears.  By your first post it sounds like you have decided what sounds best to you.

Welcome to the forum.  Good luck with your speakers.

• Like 1

Yes..I guess that really wasn't a question... I just happen to be Johnny on the spot with both pairs and got them really cheap.. the 82's were new and the 3's not played much  I guess I was wondering  .. after reading some .the 3's are the predecessor to the 82's ?  and that the 82's were improved.?..maybe they just need to be played more... the grills are nicer on the new ones, which means nothing..  thought I would just ask for some opinions. I'm sure its been covered ..like everything on the web.. so much info. I could just keep them ..but I'm o.c.d.  Mr. clean  and if something sits to long and isn't being used I get rid of it. 

Yes, the 3's were the earlier version of the 82's so basically they are very similar. If you like the sound of the 3's better anyway I'd sell the 82's as you'd likely get a higher price for them on the used market, possibly make enough profit to pay for the 3's and keep the better sounding speakers (to you) for free? Just an idea.

If you want to "best" the sound of the 3's look for a pair of RF-5's, basically the same size speaker but higher quality in every way.

I don't see anything wrong with keeping the RF-3s over the RF-82s. They are on the same level of performance, and while the RF-82 is newer and more refined, that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

I like that the RF-3 has a more pronounced midrange, a leaner balance, and a more dynamic and powerful personality.

The RF-82 is taller and looks better, deeper reaching bass, and a more relaxed, refined sound with a more high+low balance(recessed midrange).

They're practically even in my book.

Actually my father in law has some La Scalas about 1975 ish vintage I'm guessing, but I don't like the guy.. maybe when he croaks I'll try to snag those, but way to big for my house and I did sell some RF 7's for a friend.  I tried them .again way too big,  I am using a Nikko alpha 220 to run these...I love this amp..super quiet.. How I scored that system .. unreal ..some people where buying a house but lost it after several years I was helping them move..it was a Doctors home previously and had this built in cabinet thing on the wall with some speaker material covering two areas I pushed one in and discovered a secret room behind a wall. I asked the owners about it and they said they never knew it was there. How could they not know this I have no idea. So I climbed through the speaker hole and there it was a mint Nikko rack system. Well I decided the bank wasn't getting that and the house was already empty and trashed.  Maybe I just love cheap and free stuff.   

• Like 1

Good work Indiana Jones-ing that secret back room!

I've owned both the RF-3 and RF-82 but not at the same time.  Sound memory is hard to trust for me but I remember thinking the RF-82 had better bass performance.  I like what most have said here: Keep the model you like best.  My RF-3s were replaced with 7s, otherwise I'd probably still have them for HT.

You won't hear me arguing against keeping the 3's.  I'm a fanboy.

I own two pairs now.  They're really underappreciated.  I would say that if you like the 3's, sell the 82's.  You can use that either to pay off the 3's or to use towards some other goodies.

I have only been running the 3's or the 82's by themselves, so last night I decided to maybe get a better comparison I set up both in the front . The amp is a two channel 120w per. Switching from A to B they definitely sound different. Together ..to me the sound is unreal  so good.. maybe my  ears are off  maybe this is not the way to run them?  but it seems what each are lacking they make up for each other.. listening to some Dire Staits on vinyl and with both A and B on the blends are so  noticeable as opposed to running just A or just B.  maybe I'm just goofy  but I love the sound... not selling either....well my wife hasn't woke up yet to see what I moved to fit it all in... hope when I go home for lunch ..she isn't in psycho mode.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, i96rcr said:

I have only been running the 3's or the 82's by themselves, so last night I decided to maybe get a better comparison I set up both in the front . The amp is a two channel 120w per. Switching from A to B they definitely sound different. Together ..to me the sound is unreal  so good.. maybe my  ears are off  maybe this is not the way to run them?  but it seems what each are lacking they make up for each other.. listening to some Dire Staits on vinyl and with both A and B on the blends are so  noticeable as opposed to running just A or just B.  maybe I'm just goofy  but I love the sound... not selling either....well my wife hasn't woke up yet to see what I moved to fit it all in... hope when I go home for lunch ..she isn't in psycho mode.

Good luck

5 hours ago, i96rcr said:

maybe I'm just goofy  but I love the sound... not selling either....well my wife hasn't woke up yet to see what I moved to fit it all in... hope when I go home for lunch ..she isn't in psycho mode.

Nice ;-)  You're definitely one of us. 

Be careful with that amp tho. Running both pairs together is going to put a lot more strain on it. Impedance is probably dropping below 2 ohms at some point and asking the amp to crank out a lot more than it's used to, so just be careful at higher volumes and check for overheating. 

5 hours ago, i96rcr said:

No your not goofy.....well were all a bit...

There are some here (me included) that will run two sets of speakers as a a front sound stage....I'll run my LaScala's and my Chorus to gether. Two amps driving each set of speakers....The sound is awesome....jimjimbo posted about it a few days ago.

I agree with mattSER be carefull running the two together with just that one amp....when it smokes it's too late:(

MKP :-)