New Klipsch cloth from Mr.Crites

ZEUS121996

11 hours ago, ricktate said:

Well what I meant was build just the wooden frame for the cloth.....you would cover it your self. I wish I had taken measurements of mine before I covered them. That way I could build another set of motor boards with different cloth. 

And then you would have to pull them apart to put in the new grill. Not something I want to do with Belles or Khorns. Russ idea's right on CWs and other pop off grills. Make a couple pair

Mark

On 12/25/2016 at 5:30 PM, ZEUS121996 said:

Here you go. It's a 3/4 inch (5/8) piece of plywood with 2x4s attached.

Mark

khorn grill.jpg

I will make this easy

It's  5/8" piece of plywood with 2x4s attached

It's easy enough to measure once you know what size wood they used. It is 31" long, 9 3/4" tall

Take your tape measure and measure from the bottom of your grill to the bottom of the horn and then the tweeter

Mark

So, I started pulling cloth off the grills of my Khorns. Since they are made with 5/8" ply with 2x4s for the top hat and the side grills are 5"8" ply, why am I trying to pull thousands of staples from the old ones? I'm just going to buy a sheet of ply and a 2x4, cut to size and cover them.

Make sense to anyone besides me?

Mark

2 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

So, I started pulling cloth off the grills of my Khorns. Since they are made with 5/8" ply with 2x4s for the top hat and the side grills are 5"8" ply, why am I trying to pull thousands of staples from the old ones? I'm just going to but a sheet of ply and a 2x4, cut to size and cover them.

Mark

might not be a klipsch anymore :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

So, I started pulling cloth off the grills of my Khorns. Since they are made with 5/8" ply with 2x4s for the top hat and the side grills are 5"8" ply, why am I trying to pull thousands of staples from the old ones? I'm just going to but a sheet of ply and a 2x4, cut to size and cover them.

Mark

Yep. To heck with pulling all those old staples. Just make a new frame.

1 hour ago, Budman said:

as i said in an early post, make more than one set

are you doing the base bin grills also

Yea, the original owners dyed them black from the bronze? they originally came in. They're 73s, they slapped an oak veneer over the walnut, swapped out all the drivers. Everything is back to original except for the grills. Whoever did the veneer work stuck an assortment of screws in to hold everything in place. Sheet metal, wood screws, whatever was handy. So it's in pieces while I try to figure out what holds everything together.

IDK, maybe I will have a couple sets made, but I can't see changing the grills out. I know on the CWs, I should have had my neighbor make a couple sets. I have a black pair now and really like the looks of this new material. I'll see what he wants for a couple sets, he really isn't much on MDF, he hates the stuff

Mark

I have no idea what my neighbor is going to charge me to cut new grills, he's a trim carpenter and the guys in his shop all have different specialties. One of the guys is going to veneer the CWs when he has time, that's all he does is veneer. As I have said BEFORE and will say again, the previous owners were not very good to these Khorns. At least 2 of the bass bin grills are cracked and one of the top hat grills looks like it was split and glued. I'm in 60021 if you want to figure out shipping.

Mark

On 12/25/2016 at 9:17 AM, ricktate said:

Looks good.....I was wondering is there a blue print or drawing of dimensions of the top motor board section for k-horns. I'm thinking I want to try a different color such as the white cloth on mine. But I don't want to tear mine off to do it cause I spent a lot of time and money on the current ones.

There was a guy who was selling the wood section on e-bay but he wanted 400 bucks for them....crazy .... I'm not sure how I would cut out the holes just yet just bouncing idea around in my head.

Maybe someone could start a business doing this or am I the only one thinking about trying different color grill cloth?

@ricktate

I'm still curious why you hijacked my thread in your pursuit of a cloth that isn't available. How much time and money is a 5/8 inch half sheet of plywood cost? Oh, and a 2 foot piece of 2x4? Bounce the idea of measuring your grills on the top hats around. It's really not that difficult, it might take 10 minutes. Or you prefer that someone else do the work?

Mark