April Madness 2017

DizRotus

10 hours ago, Tarheel said:

That was one hell of a game last night Neil.  Duke's Grayson Allen threw another cheap elbow but it was not called.  But hey we won!

Yeah, but at least he didn't trip anyone.  Coach didn't say anything about throwing elbows.  :rolleyes:

+++

I know it was a couple of days ago, but I watched it live.  Great college basketball game, decided only at the end when NC flexed its muscles.  They proved themselves the best team in a great conference.

• Like 2

What I like about March Madness is the unpredictability.

While I still believe the Tarheels are the team to beat, the parity throughout college basketball is undeniable.  Exhibit one is Indiana, a free falling 10 seed in the B1G tournament, which beat Kansas and UNC this year.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

While I still believe the Tarheels are the team to beat, the parity throughout college basketball is undeniable.  Exhibit one is Indiana, a free falling 10 seed in the B1G tournament, which beat Kansas and UNC this year.

Yea IU is suffering badly. The did lose 3 starters. It's hard to believe how well they played against NC earlier in the year.

I never knew Purdue won 22 Big 10 titles before this year, they were tied with IU.

I love this time of year also. The effort these kids put out is amazing. I would like to see someone who has never won an NCAA championship win it all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I had to look to see if WVU ever won a title. Yes they have, but it's been 75 years. Maybe this year.....Dave:D

WVU was in their only finals in the 1959 Championship game against California which they lost, 71-70.  The tournament's Most Valuable Player?

The NBA logo, WVU's Jerry West. 

jerry-west-nba-logo.jpgnba-logo.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

WVU was in their only finals in the 1959 Championship game against California which they lost, 71-70.  The tournament's Most Valuable Player?

The NBA logo, WVU's Jerry West. 

jerry-west-nba-logo.jpgnba-logo.jpg

Sorry Dave, Wiki didn't explain. Maybe this IS their year.

From Wikipedia

Other national team championships[edit]

Below are 5 national team titles that were not bestowed by the NCAA:

Men's basketball (1): 1942

Rifle (4): 1913, 1961, 1964, 1966

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Sorry Dave, Wiki didn't explain. Maybe this IS their year.

From Wikipedia

Other national team championships[edit]

Below are 5 national team titles that were not bestowed by the NCAA:

Men's basketball (1): 1942

WVU national champ in 1942?  I've never ever heard it talked about at WVU.  :huh:  Maybe they don't claim it because it wasn't "official."  Dunno.

But yes, this is our year!  :D

+++

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

WVU knocked off current #1 and then #2 Kansas by 16, and beat then undefeated #1 Baylor by 21.  :)

The Mountaineers also lost to Temple (RPI 118) Texas Tech (RPI 104) and to Oklahoma which has an RPI of 149!  :blink:

Press Virginia is #1 in the nation at producing turnovers because they press the entire game, almost every possession.  The problem is that style really leaves them tired at the end of games.  They miss a lot of free throws late due to tired legs, and that inability to hold leads in the last 5 minutes and close out opponents will be their undoing.

+++

The best players make up the best teams, and Kansas has TWO players up for the Wooden Award as the best player in America.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211514236

I'm going to go with Kansas to win it all.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Maybe they don't claim it because it wasn't "official."

Or, maybe because the bottoms were still in the peach baskets. :-)

I'll root for the Mountaineers this year, except against the Spartans, of course.

• Like 3

WVU won the NIT in 1942, in the days when the NIT was viewed as superior, by most experts, to the fledgling NCAA tournament.  Prior to the 70s, before the NCAA got rid of the rule that only one team per conference could be in the NCAA tournament, the NIT was frequently the better tournament.  Unfortunately, with the clear superiority of the NCAA tournament now, and the stigma now associated with a bid to the NIT, most former NIT champs are reluctant to brag about it.

• Like 3

Don't forget that right about the time the Hoosiers surprised KU and UNC, they were themselves surprised by IPFW (sounds like something that calls for a urologist), whose mascot,  Mastodons, sounds like something treated by an oncologist.

• Like 2

This Spartan is glad no one was seriously injured when high winds blew the Wolverines' plane off the runway.  Events such as this bring a much needed perspective to the difference between sports/entertainment and life.

Now, go Illini, beat Michigan.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Exhale Chuck.  UNC won by 25, but the Tarheels weren't on the NCAA bubble.

Th Spartans, on the other hand, would have been bubblers had they lost to Penn State.  The 28 point victory should cement a spot in the NCAA tournament for the 20th consecutive year.

Tomorrow Sparty plays Minnesota.  They beat the Gophers twice this year.  Beating the same team three times in a season can be a problem.

• Like 1

MARCH MADNESS

-Conference Tournys-

Did you see where TCU knocked off the overall #1 seed Kansas 85-83 in the first round?  March madness has begun.

+++

ACC #5 seed Duke will take on #1 seed NC tomorrow.  What a great conference game that will be.  Duke #5?  :o  Isn't that a team you don't want to meet in the NCAA tourney.

+++

And agree, glad Michigan team was OK.  They played in their practice uniforms, they were lucky to get to their first round game at all, and they still beat Illinois.  Good for them.

• Like 1

Being just down the road from KU we naturally follow them. Although this cannot be used as an excuse Bill Self sat out his one and done freshman Josh Freeman for an on campus altercation with a car. Hit another car and left the scene, this is his second such incident in close succession. Self stuck to his guns and never brought him in and this kids good for 20 pts and 8-10 rebounds. Self never used this as an excuse in any interview that I heard either. KU usually has a pretty clean image in general but there have been several un-KU like incidents this year. College athletics is what it is and no can worms I care to open but these kids need to be taught to grow up and being the BMOC ain't the real world. A good teaching moment I suppose as now he and his teammates get to watch just like the rest of us. Lets see if they remain one of the top 4 seeds.

• Like 1