Walnut khorns in Utah

dtr20

Splendid example of the vintage 1973 Khorn.  Great shape, Type AA crossovers, I'm not sure if those are stock capacitors.  Having the original full documentation is cool. The ad is wrong about  being able to bi-wire, but that's a minor listing error.  Worth every bit of the asking price IMO.

Apparently the "dealer" who wrote the original invoice had almost no idea what they were selling regarding finish, no matter the tags on each unit.....odd.

Obviously the veneer on the fronts is attractive and uncommon, but I wouldn't exactly say they are in "great" shape.  Several areas of veneer damage, highly outdated crossovers, and no indication of driver functionality.  Don't mean to play the devil's advocate here, but, several hundred dollars in updates and work required seems to be a given.

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Obviously the veneer on the fronts is attractive and uncommon, but I wouldn't exactly say they are in "great" shape.  Several areas of veneer damage, highly outdated crossovers, and no indication of driver functionality.  Don't mean to play the devil's advocate here, but, several hundred dollars in updates and work required seems to be a given.

You are right of course, all good points.  Maybe I should have said good shape instead of great shape, as the seller listed the problems with the veneer.

A 36 year-old Khorn will have the usual veneer problems, but I built that into my thinking as it is a given.  I didn't think about the drivers not working, but again, good observation on your part that the drivers working is unverified.

I know a lot of us experienced guys know and appreciate high quality XO updates, but a lot of people want them unmolested to do the XO upgrades themselves, so that is kind of a wash IMO.

What a great find. $2K would sound better to me, but a  little veneer banding, a couple of pieces to place here and there and those would look good at 2 feet, let alone at 12 to 15 feet. Decent caps are reasonably priced  or just pick up a set of pre-builts from one of the locals here.  What else can you buy for that price that will live another 40+ years and deliver ?