RF7 II vs. Cornwall

jdmccall

I owned cornwalls from '85 to '93.  They were, in hindsight, one of the most enjoyable speakers I've ever owned.  Now, I have a pair of RF-82 II's and I think that maybe they are superior to my old cornwalls...but less enjoyable.  By superior, I mean they sound smoother and more extended.  But by less enjoyable, I don't know for sure what I mean.  Less dynamic?  Less...emotive, maybe?  Anyway, regarding my thread title, when thinking of an eventual upgrade, when or if my finances allow, should I be thinking RF7 II or cornwall...again?  If I really like the RF82II, will I love the RF7 II?  Or would the cornwall bring more audio joy than the RF7?

That's a loaded question.  Audio memory is poor and there may have been something differenent with the setup of the Cornwalls vs the RF 82's.  The only way to tell is to try and hear a set of Cornwalls and RF 7's.  The Heritage speakers do sound different than the Reference line but, is it necessarily better?  Only your ears and tast in music can determine that.

There will be plenty of fans in both camps.  The RF 7 II's are a well balanced speaker that doing many things very well from top to bottom.  The bass is the most noticeable difference on first listening to the two speakers and next would be the presentation of the Hi's and midrange.  I am not commenting more on the Cornwall's simply because I have not spent enough time with them.

Just thinking that there may be a consensus as to which is best, or at least what the relative strengths and weaknesses are.  My old cornwalls were grin inducers.  The RF82 II's also have this ability, but to a lesser degree.  It seems to me to be something Klipsch has a near lock on -grin inducing loudspeakers!  To be honest though, my Bose 901's can also produce this magical effect.  Seems to have something to do with prodigious, clean bass and effortless macro and micro dynamics.  But I digress a bit.  Cornwalls versus RF7 II's!  That's the question!  Which is best...which has the most "G.I.A."? (grin inducing ability)

I am of the camp that they all sound great but just a little different.

I get more enjoyment(sometimes) listening to my Heresy I rig in my guest bedroom as I get with my RB-75/RSW-10d rig in my living room.  Sometimes it is just the opposite.  Other times I most enjoy the RF-63's in my family room.  Other times my Heresy II's in my master bedroom.

I like them all really about the same.  Each pair of speakers has great synergy with each room and each rig.

Bill

• Like 2

I don't think the RF-82s are a fair comparison to either the CW or 7s. The 7s at Derrick's house were GREAT speakers. For HT most people would pick the 7s provided the center and surrounds were of equal quality I like the CWs for 2 channel, the Verticals to me are even more dynamic. If you can do Khorns up front with a Belle  center and CWs for rears, that is IMO the way to go LOL

Mark.

• Like 1

After getting my Heresy 2s, I'm much convinced of the superiority of the Heritage line. There was nothing wrong with the way my RP-280Fs sounded, but I'd just never heard Heritage before and didn't think it could be that much better.

There's an extra edge of dynamic that the Heresy has that the RP-280Fs don't, and the Reference line doesn't touch the richness of the Heresy's midrange. I definitely noticed at first that they don't have as much 'air' or as clear a top-end as the Reference line, but any time I set them back up I end up plugging the Heresies back in. At least the RP-280F looks good!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Audio memory is poor and there may have been something differenent with the setup

+1 

AB is the only as to AB

The power source is more importanter than one might first think. 

8 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Only your ears and tast in music can determine that.

Yes, and to prove that, Bose is still selling speakers. 

It would be nice to A/B them nut I doubt I'll ever have the chance, so I guess it may come down to availability and quality.  Whichever I can find first, when the time comes, that is in primo condition and offered at a fair price.  Driving distance will be a factor too as I'd rather pick them up myself than have UPS abuse them. 

I have the 7's and Cornwall's and they are both fine speakers and I would not suggest that there's a clear winner.  You just have to listen and choose what you like or maybe build some Cornscala's which IMPO takes it up a notch over both in the mids and upper end.  There's just no right or wrong, only a decision. 

Glad I could help!  :P