AL crossovers

CECAA850

37 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

How much trouble can you get in when my friend is called Don Wilo? You can look it up in Huatulco, it's one of the establishments he owns.

He makes sure everything is SMOOTH BABY  LOL

Mark

I'd certainly make you a tequila martini 

I'd make myself something else however.

Ok back to the ALs.  I've labeled the parts in the woofer and squawker circuits as to what stays and what goes.  Can someone look this over and see if it's correct before I start cutting things loose?  Thanks. 

In the tweeter circuit, there are only 2 components to remove? The 2uf and .5 mH?  They're really not the last items before the driver.  The zener diodes, air core inductor and 2uf cap stay? 

@Deang  or @wdecho

20170107_110433.jpg

1 hour ago, wdecho said:

From the input going to the tweeter the first component is going to be a 2 uf and then another 2uf tied together with it. In between them you should find the .125 uh inductor. Both 2uf caps should be coming from the positive side of the input in series. The .125 uh inductor in between the two 2 uf caps going to the negative input stays. Remove the .5 uh inductor and 2 uf cap tied together with the .5uh going to positive then the 2 uf cap going to ground. 

I will help to have a meter to check values of caps and inductors but it can be done without meter. Without having the Xover in front of me it is hard to follow the hookups of components from picture. 

So basically 4 components removed from the tweeter circuit?  Two .5 uh and two 2 uf caps? 

How I would do it:

1) You only need the autoformers and a pair of 2.5mH inductors off of those networks - which are easily found in the woofer circuit. However, there are four total in a those networks, and I would pick the best looking two of the four. 

2) Remove ALL of the screws from the barrier strip. Gently remove the tinned buss wire from the strip. Wire for the tweeter is also soldered to the autoformer. Clip those off as close to the original cap as possible. Remove the screws from the autoformer, and set the autoformer, along with the attached tinned buss wire (and squawker and tweeter wires) off to the side.

2) Again, for emphasis - the autoformers and 2.5mH coils are the only large parts you will be reusing. 

3) Remove the zener bracket along with the zeners. You will be reusing these. 

4) Everything else comes off of the board - you won't be using any of them except the terminal strip. Shove the parts into a box so you don't confuse yourself. 

5) To make an AA tweeter circuit, you will need a pair of 245uH inductors - call Bob. 

6) Clean the terminal strips. Use a small brash brush, and hot soapy water. Dry, and set off to the side. 

7) The board should be bare. Lightly sand and repaint. Or, just wipe down with a sponge to get the grime off. 

8) At this point you should have:

(2) Boards

(2)) Terminal Strips

(2) Autoformers 

(2) 2.5mH coils for the woofer circuit

(2) .245mH coils I asked you to order from Bob

(4) 2uF Dayton capacitors

(2) 8.2uF Dayton capacitors

9) Start by reinstalling the terminal strips

10) Gently wipe down the buss wire with denatured alcohol. 

11) Reinstall the autoformers and terminal strips. Lay the preformed busswire back into the terminal strips. Make sure the busswire is on the negative connection points. 

12) Connect 8.2uF Dayton between input positive on the barrier strip and the input tap of the autoformer (usually top right hand tap). 

13) Rebuild the tweeter circuit - follow AA schematic. Clean all spades with steel wool and alcohol (no, you cannot use Vodka). 

14). Reconnect the single wire for the midrange from the autoformer back to positive for the squawker. 

If I remember anything, I'll add it later!