AL crossovers

CECAA850

1 minute ago, ZEUS121996 said:

That sounds like a mind f*ck  @wvu80.  Mark

C'mon man, give me a break, Mark!  I learned that stuff 35 years ago!  (no Google for me!)  :lol:

Must I now explain auto erotic self-stimulatory behavior?

3 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Why are those red coils standing up and not laying down for better stability? Mark

I've read you should not be able to look through the center of one air core and not be able to see the other one.  They should be perpendicular to each other, but if they are far enough apart (I think an inch) the magnetic fields won't be be able to influence one another.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I've read you should not be able to look through the center of one air core and not be able to see the other one.  They should be perpendicular to each other, but if they are far enough apart (I think an inch) the magnetic fields won't be be able to influence one another.

I thought that's how you test which eye is dominant

Mark

I dig seeing networks with a dozen coils - perfectly aligned in time and space - all shoved underneath the magnet of a driver. What good does it do to do everything you can to offset the effects of mutual inductance, only to push the whole mess under a massive magnet?

Failing capacitors: I honestly believe the worst place for a crossover is inside a loudspeaker cabinet. There's just so much vibration - I think it damages the lead terminations. 

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Is that where you try to strangle yourself while playing with a gerbil?

Yes, as long as it's your own gerbil you're playing with.

If you're playing with someone else's gerbil, that's a whole 'nother term.