The Klipsch Audio Community
jfjacques

Blu Ray player as main CD Player?

Some years ago there was/were companies that had upgraded audio boards for some of the Oppo players. Just can't remember the company's name right now. Even gave you an additional decal to put on the front of the unit.

Thing was it almost doubled the cost of the unit....

On 1/26/2017 at 4:55 AM, willland said:

Oppo BDP-95, 105, or even a BDP-83SE.

Had an Oppo BDP-83 SE (special Edition). It had a separate Stereo Channel with the OUTSTANDING ESS Sabre/32 bit DAC chipset for audio. My new Pre Pro had Sabre DAC's so I didn't need it anymore. Sold it to a good friend who only does 2 channel stereo listening and he's in HEAVEN.

You can still get them used on Ebay or New Old Stock if you are lucky.

• Like 1

I find that Blueray players track better than CD players! I have gone thru 3 CD players at the $500 to $600 range in price that would not play a number of my CDs without skipping or locking up.  One was a highly respected transport. When placed in my cheap Sony Blueray player  and in my entry level 4k Sony player every single CD that skipped or locked up on the CD played perfectly with no mistracking! Wow! When I used my external DAC via COAX the quality of the  sound was virtually identical. No so great with internal DACs.  This was a shocking result for me!  I listened on 3 different sets of speakers (B&W 703s,  Monitor Audio Silver 10s, Magnapan LRSs) and found the sound via external DAC on the video players to be the equal of the 3 CD players.  This ws not at all what I was expecting.  Very disappointed with the CD PLAYERS. 

35 minutes ago, MELTONE said:

This ws not at all what I was expecting.  Very disappointed with the CD PLAYERS. 

My experience is that I've never had an issue with 20.00 PC CD players. I rarely play a CD, preferring to rip them files I can store on my server. I find most of the best ADACs in motherboards these days equal to other DACs at any price. Loading a spread sheet from a high dollar CD reader doesn't make it more accurate. It's all ones and zeros and they are either decoded correctly or not at all. Just my humble opinion. Your mileage and pocketbook may vary. If you believe throwing more money at something will ensure better sound, spend all you want. 

Dave

1 hour ago, MELTONE said:

I find that Blueray players track better than CD players! I have gone thru 3 CD players at the $500 to $600 range in price that would not play a number of my CDs without skipping or locking up.  One was a highly respected transport. When placed in my cheap Sony Blueray player  and in my entry level 4k Sony player every single CD that skipped or locked up on the CD played perfectly with no mistracking! Wow! When I used my external DAC via COAX the quality of the  sound was virtually identical. No so great with internal DACs.  This was a shocking result for me!  I listened on 3 different sets of speakers (B&W 703s,  Monitor Audio Silver 10s, Magnapan LRSs) and found the sound via external DAC on the video players to be the equal of the 3 CD players.  This ws not at all what I was expecting.  Very disappointed with the CD PLAYERS. 

maybe in 2017 it might have been an issue... these days, there are probably very little differences in the actual reader itself unless you are speaking mainly of build quality. Post reader is something else altogether.

I have an Oppo 103 and it works like  gem in my monster 7.1 system. I will upgrade to an Oppo 205 but seriously? I may regret the money I spend? 

My Oppo plays my cd's, SACD's, DVD- audio's, blue ray, DTS 5.1 surround and the DVD pic is awesome. You can buy my player for a lousy $200 - $300 right now on ebay

You can't go wrong. Want better? Buy an Oppo 105D. Get the Darbee - it has a better pic. They are running around $1,200 but they were $700 more retail from Oppo to get the Darbee