La Scala question

jimjimbo

Well, technically, there weren't any consumer type La Scalas.  The unfinished and clear lacquered versions seemed to have been intended for permanent installation and did not include handles.  The ones with handles were for "road" use and had corner protection.  But Klipsch has often been highly accommodating and would have put handles in if the buyer asked. 

Thanks for your response, but John, I guess I don't understand.  You said that technically there weren't any consumer type La Scalas....meaning to me that Klipsch didn't build any that were intended for home use.  The one I pictured has handles, is LSBR, and has no corner protection.  I'm confused if anyone else wants to jump in here as well....

@Chief bonehead

@HDBRbuilder

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Did regular consumer type La Scala's ever come with OEM indented type handles on the sides?  Or was this strictly limited to LSI types?

Like this

ls handle.jpg

never seen regular consumer lascalas come with handles or corner protectors

I like the handles too, to be honest....but I'd really like to figure out if that was an option for "home use" La Scala's, or ?  Just seems kind of odd that nice LSBR with AL crossovers would have had handles installed, no corner protectors, and have stock K77, 55M, and 33's....I mean, unless the factory was taking those kind of custom orders....?

17 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Thanks for your response, but John, I guess I don't understand.  You said that technically there weren't any consumer type La Scalas....meaning to me that Klipsch didn't build any that were intended for home use.  The one I pictured has handles, is LSBR, and has no corner protection.  I'm confused if anyone else wants to jump in here as well....

@Chief bonehead

@HDBRbuilder

John Allbright is correct, the LaScala was never really originally designed as a "consumer HOME" item.  It was for stage use.  But it was many years after it was put into production that a so-called "INDUSTRIAL" model was available...the same thing goes for the Klipschorn...which could be RIGGED for industrial use, and the TSCM was actually designed for industrial use.   But consumers liked the LaScala and wanted them, so they were sold to them.  Lots of LaScalas that were not originally rigged with the Heavy Duty Industrial woofer were made with handles, if the customer wanted them.  It only took a few minutes to rout-out the holes for mounting them,  and the handles were ready to mount.  Some customers asked for them after purchase, too!  The metal trim for the so-called INDUSTRIAL line didn't start until the late 1970's as a FACTORY option (sometime around 1977-79, I think!)...the same goes for the industrial black textured finish and the fiberglass finish...they became factory options at that same time.  People had been using handles of different kinds on LaScalas prior to the introduction of the "Klipsch" labeled ones, which came out at the same time as the industrial finishes came out....all in the late 1970's.  The metal corner trim was a steel casting, and I can remember when the prototypes for those corners showed up and were sent back for further changes...we weren't really equipped to be a machine shop, and the original prototypes involved too much finishing, so the company made that happen elsewhere...so that we just had to mount the final product...and cut the aluminum edge trim to fit (snugly) between the steel corner fixtures.  As for the "Klipsch" industrial handles, they were mounted to the upper sides of the LaScala bass bin, simply because that made the speakers easier to maneuver around in that position, but it also caused the handle body to enter into the bass horn soundpathway...so some folks just ordered the handles and mounted them HIGHER on each side of the HF section of the cabinet...so that the intrusion into the bass bin didn't happen.  While I was there they only had ONE size "Klipsch" handle.

• Like 2