Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

So I decided to give a gum glue clean - Have a look at the colour of the glue on a white background 

Did it sound better? You didn't say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tim Sr. said:

I know, I know... I never listen...

To everyone here thank you for the participation in the humor, it has brightened my day!

@Full Range what brand is your glue? may I ask

Locally in AU it’s studymate gum glue    https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/clear-gum-glue-125ml-ssjbgum125#features

For the US 

‘It’s clear Gum Glue - not PVA 

Available in any school or craft supply outlet 

Difference-Between-Glue-and-Gum-Comparis

@Marvel

Yes it sounded much better 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

That is the reason I asked the brand. In the USA it is not common to stop at a hardware store and buy a Gum glue. Since Gum refers to a sap typically (Gum Arabic, Mastic, Dragon tears, Amber...) just not commonly found over here. As a violin maker, working with various types of varnish, these are common materials, most of what my adhesion is made up from, and I ?might? have a bottle of PVA here somewhere. The only Gum Glue I did find on Amazon US is 91% water and 9% Polyvinyl Alcohol, not Polyvinyl Acetate such as Tite Bond. There are many white glues out there, some PVA, some Casein based,  and some of variations on the themes.

From what I "could" find, the Studymate gum glue is most likely based on Mastic, and or Gum Arabic, the MSDS does (Will) not say.

It works! and others say PVA does too. As long as it can be removed without damaging the vinyl, I say go for it! Heck maple syrup should work a little, just be sure to get it washed off well, I do not think the stylus would like the change in velocity. Dried Syrup would surely rip that stylus out in a heart beat. Silly putty!, Auto body clay, so many things that could be pressed into a groove and attach to the dust, lifting it out.. works for me! A nice wash will also do a lot to remove the dirt and grime, and of course that opens the barn door to the obvious chemicals and degrading the vinyl.

With the advent of the more sensitive cartridge and stylus, we do want to clean and preserve our collection, preserve the stylus from hitting the potholes in the road, so it makes perfect sense to experiment with new ideas on how to clean, and follow that path of "Discovery" of what works the best for you.

It is just as important to do a good preen after playing that album, good sleeves and proper storage.

Just my thoughts here and a big thank you to @Full Range for the tips and advice here today.

Good stchuphff!

Untitled-1.jpg.28aaabbf3e0a856c873b6f2b24cec246.jpg

dewalt-gas-pressure-washers-dxpw61156-64_1000.avif

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Welcome back but most of us never took a pause for the cause whatever that may be.  It only took me 1 CD to realize the difference.  I applied "Just Say NO!  

@Travis In Austin pretty much nailed it.  "I have to tell you man. In listening to sound, I guess what I'm after is the closest thing that I can get to reality. Now, I know it's not going to be reality, cause the thing gotta go through wires and gotta go through filters and this and that. I understand all that. But what I really like is to get as close to the natural sound of the instruments as possible. That's why I like analog as opposed to digital. Because I don't give a shit what anybody tells you man, I know what you guys are going to tell me...'Oh yeah, but it's clean Ray!' Well it's clean but it don't got no balls!!!" - 1999 interview with Ray Charles

5 hours ago, Tim Sr. said:

I NEED MORE SPACE!!!

The bigger problem with digital recording is the way the recordings can get messed up with all the manipulation that can be done.If you used an analogue mix desk and fed it into a digital recording device today, you will get a better recording. Even Ray Charles was using digital technology late is his career, when the were remastering his material. I had an article with an engineer who worked with him and he said R.C. was fine with it.

No tape alignments, no oxide issues or speed problems. Vinyl is great for being able to see the pictures on the cover and to read the liner notes. I have a collection of vinyl and keep a turntable. Like any medium, there are good to great recordings, and those that go the other way, too. I've lots of great CDs. I just hope I'll be able to always have a CD player that works.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Tim Sr. said:

It works! and others say PVA does too. As long as it can be removed without damaging the vinyl, I say go for it!

I agree with this comment - as long as the job can be done without damage then it’s OK 

Using gum glue for me was a decision made after experiencing issues with PVA glue not releasing its bond and I had to soak the record over night to remove the glue, and that took about 30 min for one side (lucky it was a test record) 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Klipsch104db said:

First pressing sounded dull with Ortofon 2m blue. Full, lively, and dynamic with new Rega Ania MC.

You can´t compare an entry level mm against the upper mc class ! Gentleman ...for your kind attention some facts about the Ania MC , this is how it looks like 😁

RegaAnia.thumb.jpg.ba4d61d27a4c98fcd671826899851f24.jpg

The Rega Ania Pro is the latest addition to the Rega MC range and uses an advanced Nude Diamond Stylus with Vital Profile. This profile has been developed to extract as much detail as possible from the vinyl surface. The Ania Pro offers tight, deep, warm mids and precise peak frequencies for balanced and detailed music reproduction. Load settings for adjustable MC stages , Impedance -100 Ohm , Capacitance - 1000pF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

You can´t compare an entry level mm against the upper mc class ! Gentleman ...for your kind attention some facts about the Ania MC , this is how it looks like 😁

RegaAnia.thumb.jpg.ba4d61d27a4c98fcd671826899851f24.jpg

The Rega Ania Pro is the latest addition to the Rega MC range and uses an advanced Nude Diamond Stylus with Vital Profile. This profile has been developed to extract as much detail as possible from the vinyl surface. The Ania Pro offers tight, deep, warm mids and precise peak frequencies for balanced and detailed music reproduction. Load settings for adjustable MC stages , Impedance -100 Ohm , Capacitance - 1000pF

Installed Ania on Planer 3 about a month ago. Skeptical at first. High frequencies where shrill. After 25 hours the highs have mellowed out. Bass is spectacular! It's a whole new listening experience!!

20240209_185646.jpg

• Like 5

A very influential album full of sensual auditory pleasures in an experimental form 

The music creeps up on you to first hold onto to ones thoughts and only stops when the track finishes 

What a wonderful feeling

Artist - Fripp and Eno

Title - No Pussyfooting 

IMG-4947.jpg

2 hours ago, Klipsch104db said:

Installed Ania on Planer 3 about a month ago. Skeptical at first. High frequencies where shrill. After 25 hours the highs have mellowed out. Bass is spectacular! It's a whole new listening experience!!

20240209_185646.jpg

Looks like it will sting like a bee 🐝 

• Like 7

Moving on to another Fripp collaboration 

This time with a hybrid techno synth  / jazz rock improvisation 

Its a record release that grows on you the more one listens to it 

‘’Artist - Andy Summers, Robert Fripp 

‘Title – Bewitched

IMG-4948.jpg

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Full Range said:

OK now that we have had some side splitting laughs 

This is a new Tubular Bells LP that sounded dull even after ultrasonic cleaning

So I decided to give a gum glue clean - Have a look at the colour of the glue on a white background 

77586696-5A87-4067-BE91-1D21C54AF4C8.jpg

7C8540B4-2743-45CF-9FC1-6B1F230581C1.jpg

C1C73C98-5687-4A4D-9F56-0EF95B623067.jpg

• Haha 5

I can hear the hound dogs on my trail

All hell breaks loose, alarm and sirens wail

Like the game if you lose

Go to jail

Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak

Somewhere in the town

So don't you be around

Tonight there's gonna trouble

I'm gonna find myself in

So woman stay with a friend

You know it's safer

Breakout!

20240217_120302_resized.jpg

• Like 8

Sunday evening Prog 🤘

An album that some say surpassed the debut album and I would personally give this album very high marks 

Artist - King Crimson 

‘Title - Larks Tongues In Aspic 

IMG-4949.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3