Need new AVR

neck101

Need some help.  I have the following speakers: (2)RF-3, RC-3, (2)RS-3, and a Paradigm PS-1000 sw.  I have been running a Yamaha RX-V995 receiver but need to get a new avr with HDMI.  I also have an older Yamaha M-45 power amp (125 wpc RMS) that I could use if needed.  I mostly watch DirecTV, NetFlix, and DVDs, with occasional music.  I plan to keep the 5.1 setup for now, but am considering a 7.1 receiver for zone 2.  While 4K may be in my future, right now I plan on using 1080p.  My room is about 30x20 with hardwoods and a 12ft ceiling, but I only use about half of the room for HT.  I have been reading posts about various models and noted that some have recommended a power rating which is 80% of the speaker's power rating.  But since the RF-3s are rated 225 wpc RMS / 600w peak, I am not sure I really need a 180w avr.  Even though I lean towards Yamaha, I am open to other manufacturers.  Any avr recommendations appreciated.

Michael is getting to some good core values; what are you going to buy, and from where are you going to buy it?  Last one first.

A lot of us here have had a good experience with Accessories4Less.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?brand_f[]=YAMAHA&number_channels[]=7

They have refurb stuff that when you get it, it's cheap, it usually looks brand new and comes with a warranty.  I bought a Denon 5.1 for my son a few years ago and it is still running strong.

I personally don't like to buy older electronics especially from someone I don't know.  It's a real crap shoot.  If it were someone on this website I would be willing to take a chance.  Otherwise, for me it's A4L or new.

+++

You are now where I was in 2013.  I committed to throwing away all my RCA cables and going HDMI then not looking back.  I bought new, Onkyo TX NR-717.  A 110 wpc 7.1 AVR, price range around $500.  I have run all possible configurations with my Khorns and now run 3.2.  I feel I get the most dynamic sound that way and I do not miss the side or rear channels.

I am very happy with the 717 although I do not recommend Onk's from that era due to known HDMI problems.  It has WAY more features than I can use.  It does have a pre/out for an external amp, something you mentioned you had.  If you can use the external amp I would, although 100 wpc is plenty for most Klipsch speakers. 

If you do want an Onk from a few years ago look for the 818 which is a powerhouse and has advanced Audyssey room correction.  Make sure the HDMI has already been replaced and then you will have a tremendous AVR for around $350.

If you like Yamaha and the Yamaha sound then I suggest you stay within your comfort zone.  There are a lot of choices for you within that $500-700 range and even though many people will have their personal preferences most of those units will sound similar, and there is no single "must have" in that range.  They are all good these days and reliable.

If you know you want 5.1 then you can buy 5.1 and not buy a lot of features you don't want, ie wireless music streaming, Dolby Atmos etc.

The "must have" features IMO are room correction software/mic, in Yamaha's case YPAO.  I like 100 wpc with the idea that you have to get a LOT more power for just a little bit more top-end performance.  If you have 100 wpc then you would have to double that to 200 wpc to get an additional 3 db.  Unless you play at reference level 82 db all the time, then the additional head room is nice but certainly not needed.

I would also make sure your AVR has ARC, the Audio Return Channel.  That is a newer feature and it works with the newer TV's that also have ARC.  Both AVR and TV must have ARC to make it work.

Need some help.  I have the following speakers: (2)RF-3, RC-3, (2)RS-3, and a Paradigm PS-1000 sw.  I have been running a Yamaha RX-V995 receiver but need to get a new avr with HDMI.  I also have an older Yamaha M-45 power amp (125 wpc RMS) that I could use if needed.  I mostly watch DirecTV, NetFlix, and DVDs, with occasional music.  I plan to keep the 5.1 setup for now, but am considering a 7.1 receiver for zone 2.  While 4K may be in my future, right now I plan on using 1080p.  My room is about 30x20 with hardwoods and a 12ft ceiling, but I only use about half of the room for HT.  I have been reading posts about various models and noted that some have recommended a power rating which is 80% of the speaker's power rating.  But since the RF-3s are rated 225 wpc RMS / 600w peak, I am not sure I really need a 180w avr.  Even though I lean towards Yamaha, I am open to other manufacturers.  Any avr recommendations appreciated.

I have Klipsch in my system as well and recently purchased the Integra DRX-5. I have been extremely happy with it. It includes a powered Zone 2 that I use for my back patio where I have two AW-650. I can be running that and still run 7.2 in the family room simultaneously and the entire system sound terrific. The AVR pairs very well with my Klipsch speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Based on your requirements, my previous receiver was a Yamaha RX-V1800.  I bought it used (like everything else I buy) and never had any issues with it.  It was a fantastic receiver.  If your budget is low, there are several on EBay between $200-$400.  

Thanks for all the replies, so let me respond.  It almost boils down to "I don't know what I don't know".  I am 61 and over the years I have seen new technology come and go.  What I have learned, from examples such as Sony Beta vs. VHS, Bluetooth vs. HDD, Plasma, etc, is to wait and ensure the new technology actually takes hold before jumping to the "latest/greatest" and possibly wasting money.  4K and all it's associated effects, such as Atmos, appear to me to still be in the early stages.  Therefore, I choose to wait until it is well established before I participate.  As I said earlier, at this time, I am perfectly happy with 5.1 and a 1080p tv, even though most of what I watch is not broadcast at that level.  That was my intent when I used the word "basic".  It's the lack of HDMI that limits me.  

As to Yamaha products, that is the brand I am most familiar with.  Not to say that Denon or Onkyo or whoever might not work better.  And I am also aware of Accessories4Less...looks like some good savings there....so I am also not opposed to buying refurbished.  Thanks also for the eBay reference.  Because my speakers are so efficient, I believe something in the 100-125w range would suffice, as long as it would be able to sufficiently power all 5 channels at once...maybe that is where my M-45 may assist.  From what I have seen so far, most newer receivers today have most of the new gadgets, with power output seeming to be the main driving factor in pricing...higher the watts, higher the price...unless you consider a refurbished or earlier/discontinued model.  What is producing overload for me is that folks are recommending so many different models from different manufacturers.  I was hoping for was some kind of general consensus on a few models...a trend if you will...for me to choose from.  Maybe I should just use the "buy/try/return" method to see what best works for me.

Sorry for the rant and please keep the suggestions coming.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Unfortunately I do not think you will find a "consensus quote on which receiver you should buy like you said there are just way too many of them to consider many of which are excellent receivers and would work well for your application

41 minutes ago, neck101 said:

I was hoping for was some kind of general consensus on a few models...a trend if you will...for me to choose from.  Maybe I should just use the "buy/try/return" method to see what best works for me.

Sorry for the rant and please keep the suggestions coming. 

If you thought that was a rant, ha!  Stick around.  :P

+++

I think the reason you are not finding "consensus" in specific models is because you have not really set a hi/lo budget range, and you have not committed to new/used/refurbished.  Also I think many of us don't have experience with all models, and can't make a recommendation on something we haven't heard.  Speaking for myself I own an Onk but have never heard a Yamaha so it would be misleading for me to recommend Yamaha Model X.  I just don't know anything about it.

That's not a criticism, just an understanding.

As I listen to your "rant" aka as a well thought out post (to me at least) you sound intelligent, experienced, you are up on the latest trends in audio and you have a clear idea of how your new AVR will be used.  Based on your comfort level, I say go with Yamaha and buy the unit that is within your price range.

Yamaha knows what you want.  B)

• Like 1

I agree with wvu80 in that if you're comfortable with Yamaha, stay with that.  a couple or months or so ago, I bought an Integra DTR 60.5 from A4L.  I am happy with it.  I wanted to "future-proof" myself a bit without going whole hog into all the latest features.  it is very complex.  I think I've barely scratched the surface of what it will do.  I think it's above th eprice range of what's been suggested so far above, but I am happy with my purchase.

I third that sentiment with Yamaha.

Put it like this.  I started as a Yammy-kid.  When Yamaha changed their RX-V line though, I didn't stick around to try and find the suitable Yamaha alternative - I jumped ship and went to Emotiva because I wanted something a bit more solid.  I still own a Yamaha though (two actually, a 730 and an N500).

I can't stand Denon sound, but others enjoy it.  I don't like Onk branded products, others love them.  It's all about finding that sweet spot that YOU enjoy.  If you've enjoyed your Yamaha's up to now and you're familiar with the older RX-V line, then I'd advise examining the RX-A/AVENTAGE line.  I think you'll be pleased with what you find there.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I chuckled at the "rant" responses.   

As to Yamaha, including, but not limited to, the Aventage line, let me ask why many here and other places are not going that route?  I see some concerns that it's too "bright" or not "warm" enough.  I realize everyone hears things differently (mine is decreasing with age), and/or their listening environment is unique to them.  Or is it a quality issue, and other brands have surpassed what Yamaha is now producing?  

It appears from what I have read that the sweet spot for my speaker configuration is in the 100w neighborhood at a minimum.  Just as with speakers, some receivers are more energy efficient than others, thereby preserving more wattage for each channel (Class A, A/B, D).  Unfortunately, finding that information about each model is elusive.  Or am I putting too much emphasis on wattage output?  That being said, I would put my price range in the $500-1000 range, new or refurbished.  Not really interested in buying used from someone unknown to me.  Several have said they have had a good experience buying from Accessories4Less.  So a couple of questions.  Is the warranty they quote a factory warranty or from a 3rd party?  Also, many models are out of stock.  How often are they restocked?  I would also like your opinions (if you have the experience) on YPAO vs Audyssey room correction.  I understand YPAO comes in single and multi point styles, while Audyssey comes in basic, XT, and XT32.  Is it true that XT32 really shines with 2 subwoofers?  Also, must I perform the room correction seperately for surround sound and 2-ch music listening?

55 minutes ago, neck101 said:

Thanks guys.  I chuckled at the "rant" responses.   

As to Yamaha, including, but not limited to, the Aventage line, let me ask why many here and other places are not going that route?  I see some concerns that it's too "bright" or not "warm" enough.  I realize everyone hears things differently (mine is decreasing with age), and/or their listening environment is unique to them.  Or is it a quality issue, and other brands have surpassed what Yamaha is now producing?  

Most of those guys didn't like the RX-V lines either.  That's the Yamaha sound, and some people prefer it and others don't.  You really can't take those kinds of descriptions as law.  What's too bright to you?  What's too warm to me?  There's no rhyme or reason to any of those words.

It appears from what I have read that the sweet spot for my speaker configuration is in the 100w neighborhood at a minimum. 

That's not really true, plenty of us use amps that are powered anywhere from 1 to 1000 WPC.  Most receivers come out shy of 100 WPC anyway.  The most powerful AVR I have is 80 WPC all channels driven at 8 ohms, whereas my two HT AVR's are rated at 65 all channels driven at 8 ohms.  

Or am I putting too much emphasis on wattage output?

Yes.

That being said, I would put my price range in the $500-1000 range, new or refurbished.

Let me spend your money...

Yamaha RX-A2050 - which has Atmos support so future proofing a bit. - $999

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa2050bl/yamaha-rx-a2050-9.2-ch-x-140-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Onkyo TX-NR1030 - also has Atmos support. - $799

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr1030/onkyo-tx-nr1030-9.2-ch-x-135-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Also the TX-RZ900 - $899

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxrz900/onkyo-tx-rz900-7.2-ch-x-140-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Pioneer Elite SC-85. - $699

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionsc85/pioneer-elite-sc-85-9.2-ch-x-135-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Denon AVR-X4100W - $599

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4100w/denon-avr-x4100w-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Any of those would be good options - it's just a matter of which sound you're looking for.  The RX-A's sound like the old RX-V's for what it's worth.