Need new AVR

neck101

The A2050 shouldn't take long.  Actually the only one that might not come back in is the RZ900.  I don't think it'll take too particularly long.  You might get in touch with their support team - it's top notch.

My preference against Denon and Onkyo...hmmm...

Well, the two AVR's I heard from them I did not enjoy - but I admit that those were entry level.  I also tended to prefer the warmer sounds (there's that word again) of Yamaha.  Yamaha at the time I got my new AVR did not offer anything in the price range that I wanted, so I went with Emotiva gear instead.  It sounds surprisingly similar to Yamaha when run flat.

Neck101, don't let the AVR power rating numbers fool you either, most companies post their one channel or two channel driven numbers which is an absolute joke. Also, you can use a two wpc amp or a 1000 wpc amp and the Klipsch probably won't care. You can probably do more harm with a lower powered AVR than with a monster amp as the AVR limits will be attained easier and the amp will clip....usually resulting in blown tweeters but sometimes worse. 

I second Ibiza, I am not a fan of the Denon sound and the Onkyos get hot enough to cook on.

Honestly I would go outside an AVR and get a separate pre/pro and amp set up. You can find plenty used goodies on Ebay or in some forums. Have you looked at Emotiva? They are launching three new product lines and The new BasX and Emersa line (launching now) might be a good fit.

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/700

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/mc-700

I didn't see a budget you had in mind, do you know what you want to spend?

Tim

The X-curve on the Pioneer Elites is a nice option because it is the only avr that let you control brightness easily and not have to try and EQ it out without a bunch of fuss a questionable results.  The EQ part is not that  easy since it contains a lot of the audio spectrum from 2 kHz to 20 k Hz.  

I generally stay out of these type of discussion because all the major brands are good and I already found what suits me, lol.  My only real suggestion is don't go cheap because you will loose features to tune the sound.  Get at least a midrange avr.

Klipsch speaker will go well with most of the brands, just not with the cheap lower level models if you don't want to have to go thru a lot more trouble trying to get the sound right.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  After some further study, I think I have narrowed down my choices as follows (in no particular order):

Yamaha RX-A2050

Yamaha RX-A3000

Pioneer Elite SC-85

Pioneer Elite SC-77

Denon AVR 4520CI

Denon AVR-X4200W

Several have more gadgets than I need now, but good for future expansion.  All under $1000 (refurbished)...awaiting in stock status.

always had good luck with Yamaha-never had any issues. Just bought the Advantage RXA-3060 a few weeks back for home theater and the thing rocks. Great for movies & music. Also picked up a TSR-510 from costco about a month back for the living room.  

For the models you listed, go into a BB magnolia room and compare some of the Yamaha models and the Pioneer Elite modes.  There will be several upper Yamaha and Pioneers to choose from.  Most will differ in features at the top and not the SQ.  For example, the SC 85, 95, 97 and 99 will basically all sound the same.  Number of channels, Atmos configurations, preouts, etc. may differ but, the main meat is there on all the Pioneer Elites.

Don't get to tied up in differences is SQ, also consider the features and how you will or may in a year or two from now will use the avr.  A lot of people are putting systems together and it is hard to say what feature you will use in the future.  Getting the features is a key to not having to later buy more gear to make something work.

derrickdj1...thanks, that was my plan also.   While I mentioned the a2060 above, I am also looking hard at your suggestions, especially the SC-85 thru -99, and maybe the -77. 

I have decided that even though I only operate 5.1 for now, common sense says to go ahead and get a receiver with the newer technology so I don't have to go through this dance again in the near future. 

Problem is that most stores, including Magnolia, don't carry these older models.  But as you said, the new ones probably sound the same, only difference are the latest upgrades.

I have also been watching Accessories4Less for any deals...and ebay has some of my choices for good prices new.  

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone's ideas and recommendations.  While I have not been able to test nearly as many receivers as I would have liked, I have been able to listen to several manufacturers and have decided to stick with Yamaha.  Mainly, I liked the sound. 

Many folks have convinced me that features are more important than wattage.  Since I will be keeping my 5.1 setup for the foreseeable future and would like to have a 4K capability, I finally decided on the Aventage RX-A1060.  I was leaning heavily on the RX-A2060, 2050, and 3050 models.  But the 1060 gives me enough of the features I need right now, including multiple pre-outs, multiple HDMIs, HDCP 2.2 for 4K, multipoint YPAO, and iPad controller and setup apps, while also keeping me in the $1000 range of my budget.  In addition, I also plan to use my Yamaha M-45 power amp to drive the front RF-3s and relieve some of the 1060's workload.

I plan to buy it through Crutchfield so I can take advantage of their return policy if I don't like the receiver.  Anybody think I am making a mistake, please speak up. 

Thanks to all.

• Like 1

Excellent well thought-out decision IMHO.  Please let us know how it works out - especially the SQ with/without YPAO.  I'm not far behind you - my 16 year Yamaha just won't die on me but I've been itching to upgrade with many of the same criteria as you.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2017 at 3:22 AM, neck101 said:

Need some help.  I have the following speakers: (2)RF-3, RC-3, (2)RS-3, and a Paradigm PS-1000 sw.  I have been running a Yamaha RX-V995 receiver but need to get a new avr with HDMI.  I also have an older Yamaha M-45 power amp (125 wpc RMS) that I could use if needed.  I mostly watch DirecTV, NetFlix, and DVDs, with occasional music.  I plan to keep the 5.1 setup for now, but am considering a 7.1 receiver for zone 2.  While 4K may be in my future, right now I plan on using 1080p.  My room is about 30x20 with hardwoods and a 12ft ceiling, but I only use about half of the room for HT.  I have been reading posts about various models and noted that some have recommended a power rating which is 80% of the speaker's power rating.  But since the RF-3s are rated 225 wpc RMS / 600w peak, I am not sure I really need a 180w avr.  Even though I lean towards Yamaha, I am open to other manufacturers.  Any avr recommendations appreciated.

We are in the same age bracket and I can't stand the speed with which expensive equipment is obsoleted today.

I am also a Yamaha fan and currently have 4 Yamaha receivers in use.

Regarding your comments on speaker power; Speaker ratings are typically maximum power rating and you will rarely be playing anything near those ratings.

An amp with clean power will not damage your speakers, distortion will. Most of the time you're only pushing a couple of watts anyway. Since the late 60's I've had only 3 incidents of speaker damage. 2 were foam surrounds dying of old age, not a power or distortion issue. The 3rd was a Klipsch SW that blew, the driver went bad because the amp went bad, I replaced both with drop-in replacements from Parts Express and although I guess it is no longer technically a Klipsch it is still running strong.

I just set up a system with a Yamaha RX-A860 and it plays plenty loud and is clean. Speakers are M-L Edge in-wall (Front effects), M-L SLM (Center), Klipsch Heresy rebuilds (R&L), and a Parts Express Titanic SW.

• Like 2

EJC...nice setup you have.  You know, I was looking early on at the 860, but as I did my research, I noticed other folks kept pointing out that the Aventage series of Yamaha was better because they used better parts and built a stronger receiver material-wise.  And then I read that the 860 and below are built the same as the RX-V line, hence the reason for the 1060 being 10 pounds heavier than the 860.  Whether or not this difference equates to a better avr, I can't say.  You obviously are happy with yours, and that's what counts.  As far as the power/features, the two models are essentially the same, and the 860 is $400 less!  Maybe you or someone else can chime in here and discuss the differences in depth.

I agree with you about the frustrating life cycle of the upgrades in these units...reminds me of the car industry.

EDIT: Whoops, I too late saw that the OP had decided on what to buy (GREAT) and was responding to another post.

Remember that dodads, codecs, 5.1 to eleventy 14 changes always, YOU must buy the latest.
Get a set of nice speakers that you can afford (they will be replaced later)

Get a solid 5 channel amp (it will not NEED replacing for years) if you get the itch for 7/9/17 channels later add more amps (cheaper cause those channels don't need the bestest
Now get ready to buy last year's or 2 generations ago pre pro processor that has the "drive off the lot" loss of value.

Speakers and amp good to go for many, many long time all you have to do is spend on processor when you want.