Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrquery

How much speaker can I get for $2000?

Recommended Posts

@USNRET and @teaman for klipsch speakers I think with the consideration of WAF I can only go as big as Cornwall which I auditioned and liked so much, looking to see what can my $2000 budget can stretch for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, juniper said:

A pair of Altec 604 8Gs, look up Jean Hiraga and Serious Stereos abilities with these types of drivers.....and a saw an iron

Thanks, where can I audition these, if these are within budget I would like to hear them first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the Chicago area, I have all the big vintage Klipsch except Klipschorns (I sold them to another forum member).

Maybe you should stop by.

 

Don't rule out La Scala, if your wife likes music, they are worth the footprint.  The Belle is the La Scala with improved WAF.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mrquery said:

@USNRET and @teaman for klipsch speakers I think with the consideration of WAF I can only go as big as Cornwall which I auditioned and liked so much, looking to see what can my $2000 budget can stretch for?

Have you ever heard a pair of KLF series speakers? The 20's and 30's are phenomenal sounding speakers and you don't need to worry about a sub. Plus they are three way which is nice in a tower. They weight upwards of 100 lbs but offer 102db efficiency. You can use a monster amp or a 20 watt amp and they sound great either way..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, teaman said:

Have you ever heard a pair of KLF series speakers? The 20's and 30's are phenomenal sounding speakers and you don't need to worry about a sub. Plus they are three way which is nice in a tower. They weight upwards of 100 lbs but offer 102db efficiency. You can use a monster amp or a 20 watt amp and they sound great either way..

@teaman, check this out.  They're close to me.  No pics, but I don't have the dough right now.  Seems like a good deal.

 

https://spokane.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-home-theater/6209045637.html

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, teaman said:

Have you ever heard a pair of KLF series speakers? The 20's and 30's are phenomenal sounding speakers and you don't need to worry about a sub. Plus they are three way which is nice in a tower. They weight upwards of 100 lbs but offer 102db efficiency. You can use a monster amp or a 20 watt amp and they sound great either way..

 

Hear you there but where can I hear these KLF? I need to start auditioning, hope they come in walnut / cherry (just a fetish) :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, teaman said:

Have you ever heard a pair of KLF series speakers? The 20's and 30's are phenomenal sounding speakers and you don't need to worry about a sub. Plus they are three way which is nice in a tower. They weight upwards of 100 lbs but offer 102db efficiency. You can use a monster amp or a 20 watt amp and they sound great either way..

If you stop by, I have Quartet, Forte, Forte II, Chorus II, Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, Belle, and KLF-30.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mrquery said:

 

Hear you there but where can I here these KLF? I need to start auditioning, hope they come in walnut / cherry (just a fetish) :D

The KLF series only came in medium oak, clear oak, black, or my favorite mahogany.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, opusk2k9 said:

If you stop by, I have Quartet, Forte, Forte II, Chorus II, Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, Belle, and KLF-30.

We audio hoarders always have something on hand...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, opusk2k9 said:

If you stop by, I have Quartet, Forte, Forte II, Chorus II, Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, Belle, and KLF-30.

I may have to take the offer but not after 2 weeks, I got relatives coming from Alberta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, teaman said:

We audio hoarders always have something on hand...

(Oh and KSB 3.1, RB-5. RB-75, KP-201, KP-250, KP-301, single 1958 shorthorn, and THX Ultra2 7.2, KEF LS50, and a pair of Devialet silver phantoms)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mrquery said:

I think with the consideration of WAF I can only go as big as Cornwall

Get the Corns then.:emotion-21:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My choice would be Cornwalls or LaScalas and a diy sub. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KLF-30 is the sleeper of the bunch.  If in good shape and you have an amplifier with good current, they are one of the better balanced Klipsch and can keep up with khorns in a good room, though not quite as efficient (that's where the high current amp comes in).  Best of all they can be had fairly cheaply since they are not labeled a "Heritage" though have the same parts of the Heritage line with Jube woofers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can not find a suitable used model, the RF-7 II with B-stock veneer can be purchased for under $2000, as mentioned above.

 

They can be a bit bright/forward with some material IMO (I own them), so not sure they would meet your personal criteria for "presents music as a whole and does not call attention to itself".  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, adam2434 said:

If you can not find a suitable used model, the RF-7 II with B-stock veneer can be purchased for under $2000, as mentioned above.

 

They can be a bit bright/forward with some material IMO (I own them), so not sure they would meet your personal criteria for "presents music as a whole and does not call attention to itself".  

 

 

If you need new.  If not there are significant savings going used on better sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belle's are beautiful IMHO and I would think satisfy WAF.  If I had 2k to spend on used I'd find some older La Scalas, add Fastracs from Dave Harris, and factor in a recap of the crossovers.  If I got the La Scalas really cheap I might push the budget and get Eliptracs from Dave, new 2" mid drivers, and new crossovers that attenuate the mids appropriately.  If I decided on Cornwalls I'd get the Cornwall version of Fastracs and recap or replace the crossovers to drop the mids another 3 db.  I've done all of these and the La Scalas with Eliptracs is my favorite but could easily break the budget a bit depending on the 2" drivers and crossover choices.

Good luck!  This is fun to think about.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mrquery said:

Thanks, where can I audition these, if these are within budget I would like to hear them first?

The ones I spoke of you could audition, but I was thinking more DIY and a little research for you, because these are out of your price range, but can be made for much less. Jean Hiraga's sell for around 22k, Serious Stereos sell for around 18K, there is another company called Exemplar Audio that uses the same driver and they are around 34k.From what i have read, they all received some very good reviews at high end shows. Lots of info on these drivers. Some love them, some hate them, with good recordings they are very special when set up properly which is very difficult. I know a guy who builds recording studios and home studios who uses these often with some very high profile clients, including execs from Sony and some major acts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, juniper said:

The ones I spoke of you could audition, but I was thinking more DIY and a little research for you, because these are out of your price range, but can be made for much less. Jean Hiraga's sell for around 22k, Serious Stereos sell for around 18K, there is another company called Exemplar Audio that uses the same driver and they are around 34k.From what i have read, they all received some very good reviews at high end shows. Lots of info on these drivers. Some love them, some hate them, with good recordings they are very special when set up properly which is very difficult. I know a guy who builds recording studios and home studios who uses these often with some very high profile clients, including execs from Sony and some major acts.

I don't quite understand....  Is "Serious Stereos" a name of a company or is this an entry point you consider the bottom rung?  If bottom rung, I guess frequenting Klipsch's forum is for fun.

Ah, think I might have my answer but 2k-18k - mortgage time.

If you can build speakers, you could invest 2k and have something equivalent to 5-10times as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^

Serious Stereo IS the name of a tube amp company/builder. Going on memory Without checking the interweb I believe the guys name is Dennis Fraken, the amps are single ended 2a3's. And No, these ain't entry level. They are indeed Serious Stereo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...