Need Some Snobs!: Oppo's and Oppo's and Oppo's...

The History Kid

21 minutes ago, dtel said:

I would think you're right, great reviews. It is really nice with all the was to connect different things.

Looking at the back of the UDP 205, is the HDMI output still the best for sound if your receiver has HDMI ? I would guess the 7.1 outputs would be for a receiver without HDMI, or the optical out.

Best sound will be from the optical output, so long as you've got the processor for it. I tossed my krell processor, and utilize the RCA's to feed directly into my ss amp.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Best sound will be from the optical output, so long as you've got the processor for it. I tossed my krell processor, and utilize the RCA's to feed directly into my ss amp.

I had no idea the optical was better, I am hoping a player with one HDMI out just for sound and one regular HDMI does better on the sound ? 

With my old receiver I had 6.1cables and optical into the receiver, the optical did sound better to me, could nave been the receiver also. 

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

I had no idea the optical was better, I am hoping a player with one HDMI out just for sound and one regular HDMI does better on the sound ?

HDMI will be better for you.  It can do everything optical can and will do higher resolution audio and transmit video.  It is simpler and cuts down on the amount of cables.  HDMI also contains the auto return channel capability.

• Like 1

With my old receiver I had 6.1cables and optical into the receiver, the optical did sound better to me, could nave been the receiver also. 
If you have the proper bottle, scotch can also significantly improve the sound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

You sure about that? I don't think so.

Both can pass multi-channel audio, like Dolby Digital. Both cables can be had pretty cheap. The biggest difference is that HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can't get transmitted across optical

• Like 1

You sure about that? I don't think so.

Both can pass multi-channel audio, like Dolby Digital. Both cables can be had pretty cheap. The biggest difference is that HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can't get transmitted across optical
I think you're right, my krell processor didn't have HDMI, so I can't really comment, but being that HDMI is newer, I tend to believe you're correct.

• Like 2

I think you're right, my krell processor didn't have HDMI, so I can't really comment, but being that HDMI is newer, I tend to believe you're correct.

I do believe HDMI has relatively strict/limited cable lengths, but for most that isn't an issue. Fiber optic lengths get be significantly longer with less loss.

• Like 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

If you have the proper bottle, scotch can also significantly improve the sound.

I have noticed an overall improvement with similar additions, especially with music.

Well it going to be HDMI because it will be my only choice with the new player.

I guess I will have one HDMI to the receiver for sound and one going to the TV for the pic, just to try out the two outputs on the player, don't know if this will make a difference with either ? 

I was going into the receiver with all HDMI's and out to the TV from there.