Have you ever been fooled...

maxg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Ed, I smell SYNERGY (God, I hate that word ... it's rife with sales-speak).

HOWEVER, we're exactly on the same page ... our Khorns are basically the same, I want Moondogs, and we need a listening room.

How about we pool our funds and buy a RANCH with about 150 acres near Mt Lemmon, overlooking the city. We'll have two houses and a LISTENING COTTAGE.

Yeah, that's it! :)

http://www.longrealty.com/pepper/2218728

Build a basement in Texas gumbo clay and it will wind up under your neighbors house. Nonetheless, I'd love to have one of those big ol' NE basements. Must be great. The PAW's great aunt lives on Cape Cod and has a basement that must be 70X40 or more. Awesome acoustic space. I'm thinking of double sheet rocking the listening room if it ever happens. Our organ builder says that massively improves rigidity at the lowest cost.

If you are building in the southwest, earth sheltered is the way to go, both to minimize cooling costs as well as get the equivalent of a basement. Exactly the way I'd go if I were building ground up.

Dave

Ed, did you happen to see that rant I left about that damn monster TV in your new room over in another thread? I got all bent outta shape about the whole thing. What can I do to talk you into moving that beast into your 2ND HT room somewhere in a bedroom or something? You dont KNOW how bad that made me feel when I saw that brand new listening room you have been working on for months, soon to be filled with Moondogs, a brand new Syrah preamp, Khorns etc.... and NOW a TV larger than two salesfiends side by side at Circuit City! I sagged as if taking a bullet!

The best upgrade in the whole world you could do is get two thugs from the local Home Depot and move that MONSTER upstairs to your bedroom system so you can languish while watching Love American Style reruns at 1am.

Putting that monster in there kills the soundstaging and mars your mental outlook while listening! heh.... Ok...I'll let you be. But I havent forgotten. It has scarred me for life and it's not even my room. I need medicine.

kh

ps-You two loons in AZ in some listening cottage would cause the town to build a dividing wall between YOU and the AZ citizens! Next thing you know, you are both card carrying Republicans playing golf every day! Ummm....oh...wait a minute. You ARE card carry....... heh

My grandfather was a McIntosh fan and introduced me to tubes at the age of 4 (1959). He also flew Sopwith Camels in RAF in WWI, met the Queen and taught himself Greek.

Anyway, he had the mother of all living rooms; 35 x 60' overlooking Lake Goguac in Battle Creek, MI. Gosh, I loved that room. Sounded great. They don't make them anymore.

Sorry Kelly, I could tell how disappointed you were when you saw the photos. Perhaps when the Mitsubishi in the master bedroom dies I can talk SWMBO into moving the Sony upstairs. I have been hoping for that TV to die for some time now. I bought it new in '82 and it just keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny. Never had the first problem with it.

I am sure the soundstage suffers terribly, but at least the front of the TV is behind the false corners and behind the front of the K-horns. Also, it is much better than with the pool table in the middle of the room!

Chris-Tucson and the Mt. Lemon area are really beautiful, I certainly wouldn't mind moving there also. Good idea about the listening cottage, that was the original premise for my 2 channel room in the basement.

PS: I quit carrying my card a few years ago, now I can't find it anywhere and have to vote for the person instead of the party.

Yes! I have. I was in Audio Systems in Nashville around 1976 and was in the low-end room looking at what I could afford when a thunderstorm rolled up. I had to go upstairs and out to see if it was really raining. It wasn't! Back inside in the room next to the one I was in was the storm on a pair of K-horns powered by an SAE preamp and 100 watt power amp, all solid state! The storm was on the back side of "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" and it was completely real sounding, even in the next room. Later, they played Santa Esmerelda and my bell-bottom jeans moved to the beat of the bass drum; awesome! That's the only disco record I own.

That was the first day I had ever heard Klipsch. It is the reason I have configured my La Scalas to mid-70s spec.

John

Wow...

Isnt it pleasing when you start a thread that takes off like this...

It is also nice to see that I am not alone in having not been fooled by music. Seems many can be fooled by voices and sound effects but it takes something else to make you think there is a Grand Piano in your living room.

I really enjoyed reading Kelly's first response - especially the hairs standing up in places you didnt know you had hairs. I have been there - when the music has just hit the spot and you sit enthralled by the whole thing.

I would say however, that this is still not quite the same thing as fooling you into thinking it is real.

I have one, oft mentioned, direct to disk recording of Wild Child Butler singing some serious blues. His voice is as real as my system has ever gets (although again he is almost speaking rather than singing). There is an immediacy and intimacy to the recording that is quite amazing and leaves me transfixed.

Obviously I have no idea what the real event sounded like and how it compares to what I hear. Plucking a figure out of the air I would guess I am 90% of the way there - maybe Kelly is right and sets would add that extra that would convince entirely, maybe a better turntable/arm/cartridge/phono stage combo, or, maybe I have got as far as Heresies can take me.

I suppose this thread leads back to the issue of what do you expect from your stereo. We had a thread not long ago that debated whether system neutrality was the goal or whether merely providing a pleasant listening experience was enough, distinct from the live event sound.

For me listening to my system is an event in and of itself. I do not expect it to reproduce the live event entirely - I attend live events for that fix. Instead I ask only that it produces a musical experience I can savour - real or otherwise, and in that I have achieved the goal.

Wanna have some FUN???

Get a copy of Jefferson Airplane's "2400 Fulton Street", and play the second half of disc one, labeled "Psychedelia". Sure it's not Diana Krall audio quality (since it is largely from the 1960's), but I guarantee that you'll have fun with this. I have even been fooled a time or two when showing this off to friends - even though I know what's coming.

Best results are obtained if I don't tell you specifics (kinda like not spoiling a movie) - but trust me9.gif

Got to dig out my "Tales" album. I do recall, even with my Stanton Gyropoise, Lux SS amp, and Rectilinears (Fraziers in the rear even then) a number of folks jumping out of their skins at the thunderstorm. Think we may have had chemically augmented signal to noise reduction and dynamic expansion back then, though. :->

It happens more than I thought. Twice or more yesterday listening to Sheffield Labs TLP1000 "The Moscow Sessions." A violin trilled out of silence that caused me to jerk.

Actually, it is not always pleasant. That album is one of the best pieces of engineering, artistry, and pressing I know. Transients, in particular, are awesome. Probably should mention it over on the best vinyl thread underway.

Dave

The art work is by an artist friend of mine who did a long series of heads so I was taking advantage of what appears to be about the only improvement with the new forum format namely that we can change the custom avatars easily.

Several other artist friends have also been moving to AZ mostly Phoenix and Bisby.

But you bring up an interesting notion, that is, choosing or designing a home with the sound system in mind. It is the ultlimate tweak, although a rather extravagant one. Next thing we will be talking about rolling homes like rolling tubes....

-c7s

thanks for the encouragement. I really have no excuse other than time and laziness to present some of my own artwork, I even have the digital camera which I have barely used so far except to sell some crap on eBay. I get backlogged on projects, to say the least, so I will add taking pictures of my own art to the list, along with building that speaker cabinet.

just got back from a trip to so-cal for a family wedding etc. Did manage to find a few moments to buy a couple of LPs and hit a few museums including that one next door to the LA county museum....the one with all the bones from the La Brea Tar Pits, really interesting. Also hit a show in Laguna called "Surf Culture" which had quite a collection of old historical boards and other stuff, eg. all the stuff related to surfing that might be construed as cultural.... and some trivia along the way, eg. saw a 1956 Bengston painting which was signed "Moontahg" {maybe that was his handle before he became "moondoggie"}.

btw, still putting in some final tweaks (and shielding) to the DynacoMod. Next on list is upgrading the Eico monoblocks and building the Altec speaker system and hooking up this whole tri-amped monster, and then totally "remodelling" {read cleaning and rearranging} the living room to house all this stuff. Picked up a couple of possibilities for preamps (an Audio Research SP-3 and an old Paragon). Both look really good on the bench and will give me a couple of nice options to play with. I am assuming that these will be ok with a moving coil cart? if I happen to go that route. It will be fun trying out different combinations until I find the best system for playing all this old vinyl.

-c7s

Ah, Bisbee and the Copper Queen. Had a friend there in the early '70's. Could have bought a fully furnished 2 story and basement house for 11,000.00. Couldn't figure out how to make a living, however. What a paradise, though...

Now, on topic, sort of... Some of you tube gurus get over to LoneLobos thread Eico Vs. Scott. I am curious. He brought that Eico by this morning and it is absolutely pristine. Love everything about it functionally.

Dave