Moving to music. Recommendations?

vasubandu

5 hours ago, vasubandu said:

How would I put this? Death warmed over.   A kit would make me want to kill myself. I don't read instructions.

These don't come with instructions. 

I am not trying to sell you anything, as this is the Klipsch Discussion Forum.  I love my Klipsch and there are a lot of reasons for owning them.  I get great sound, used ones sound great and have excellent resale value, and it's a lot like belonging to a club.  The people here are great, and it's fun discussing our passion with others who feel the same way.

DIY is variation on that theme.  You don't have the resale value, but you get great sound and good value for your audio dollar.  These particular DIY kits provide a great opportunity to assemble boxes, solder if you want to, learn how to veneer or paint enclosures.  If you have the tools and skills, you can make sawdust and truly "do it yourself."  It just depends who you are.

Who are you?

8 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I can see the logic to that. I have been wondering io my quest for a CF-4if perhaps I could just make one.  You know, get a box, cut a few speaker holes, buy 2 gigantic woofers per box and a big tweeter, glue them in and plug it in, right?

OK, I know it is a lot more complicated than that, but I don't know what the complications are.  The speakers do look like rectangular boxes.  And crossovers can be had.  If Igot the best woofers and tweeters I could find, would that make beautiful music or is there more to it?

That's basically what I did with my custom 362's, gathered the best parts I could find to build a speaker loosely modeled after the Chorus although when it all came together top end was closer to the Cornwall with Heritage drivers. I didn't try to reinvent the wheel, went off a few known speaker designs and kind of meshed them together and it turned out really well and I had fun in the process. 

Great conversation here! My input:

About a year ago I got on a kick to refurb and upgrade my home audio as much as I could within my budget. I wired the house with Cat6a ethernet and now have three zones connected with high rez lossless digital audio via Sonore Microrendu's accessed via Roon. On the hardware side of things, for my basement system I replaced the crappy old receiver I had with a factory-refurbed Yamaha A-S701, and then dusted off my KG4's from college (30 years ago!), opened up the backs and installed new tweeters and new crossovers, both from Bob Crites. I set them all up in a nice rack I built for the man cave.

Well I got this system cranking, and all that was missing was satisfying bass. It may have less to do with the KG4's as it does with the unique placement due to my basement rack as shown in the picture, but it needed some help down low. So I added a Klipsch R-12SW on the floor beneath the rack, and now all is well. Really really nice sound, I am very happy.

This past weekend just for fun I grouped my upstairs living room system and my basement system in Roon, so that I could jog up and downstairs and do a kind of "A/B" test. I'll be darned if the spaciousness, clarity and live-concert feeling of the basement didn't have me preferring the refurbed KG4 system even better than what I've got upstairs, which is all new and cost 4X more.

basement system.JPG

• Like 2

So I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of fun can be had refurbing with the Crites components, it really brought my KG4s back to life way better than original. Another point is that what you feed to them matters too... the smooth delicious sounds have a lot to do with the Yamaha A-S701 (accessories 4 less @ ~ $599) and the clean upstream components as well. Now I've got the bug and I'm looking online at Forte II's... just cuz it's fun.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ben Toby said:

This past weekend just for fun I grouped my upstairs living room system and my basement system in Roon, so that I could jog up and downstairs and do a kind of "A/B" test.

LOL!  Very creative A/B comparison technique, I don't think I've ever seen jogging and speaker comparison combined in exactly that way!  :lol: 

I also like the creativity and engineering of your shelving.  Good stuff. 

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum, good first post.  :emotion-21:

• Moderators
1 hour ago, vasubandu said:

That's the sense I get too.  Trying to improve on perfection so to speak.

Your funny, after reading about the mountain hiking ideas, I think your wife has her hands full. I would bet at times she just looks at you and says really ? :huh:

I know the look :D

I know of someone going through something similar to what your going through with this hobby. It's like drinking from a funnel, it's so much to take in.

Like you he has been a little into audio but in the past 6-8 months really got into it.

He has many questions I would have never thought to ask, and he has started buying, he don't know why or what he wants but he is buying. In one month he bought Forte lll's, 60th Khorns, some German set of speakers, HT receivers, tubes, pre amps and amps. Also now wants to order 3 jubes and an 1802 sub to make a HT in his living room. He is wearing himself out with this and is always looking at different things.   I figure it will slow down and settle eventually, hopefully if not he will have to sell something or run out of room.

20 minutes ago, dtel said:

Your funny, after reading about the mountain hiking ideas, I think your wife has her hands full. I would bet at times she just looks at you and says really ? :huh:

I know the look :D

Yeah I get that look way too much.  And not just my wife, but my kids too. I actually am forbidden to go hiking by myself these days, but I had a horrible accident and spent two weeks in the hospital after one of them, so I don't have much to argue with.

And this is kind of like drinking from a funnel.  I would rather do that with my mind than with my wallet, which is why I ask all these questions.  I cannot really understand things without trying or doing them, but I can establish a foundation.  And it has produced very real benefits.  If I had just gone out buying, I would have a system that does not really work and a basement full of stuff I didn't want.  I just cannot overstate how generous people here are with their time and knowledge.

• Like 2

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I would rather do that with my mind than with my wallet, which is why I ask all these questions. 

Your right, it's the smarter way to do it, I know my friend will end up with a pile of stuff he has no need for after spending alot of money.

I think I have to go with your wife idea, no hiking alone, she want's to keep you around and I know the boys do.

Your right about the people here, I couldn't measure the amount they have helped me. I just don't have the money to waste, taking there advice and friends advice I have the best sound by far than I had over the last 40 years. What I like about this place is you get so many different opinions and ideas, you weed through them and find a good answer that fits what your hoping for. And overall most people here are really nice, sometimes odd but nice, :lol: meeting many here in person proved this. Guess it's why I am still here, it's not because I'm looking for speakers, it's the people.  You fit in great

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, dtel said:

What I like about this place is you get so many different opinions and ideas, you weed through them and find a good answer that fits what your hoping for. And overall most people here are really nice, sometimes odd but nice, :lol: meeting many here in person proved this. Guess it's why I am still here, it's not because I'm looking for speakers, it's the people. 

I have noticed the total absence of the usual sniping in forums.  People don't call each other stupid here.  And I am also really impressed at the depth of knowledge that some people have.  They don't just listen to speakers.  I never thought I would entertain the idea of making speakers, but all of a sudden it seems possible. And now some of those eminence woofers are getting my attention.  I mean what would happen if you made a CF-4 starting with a  Sigma Pro 18 woofer with a 32-2K range.  or a KAPPA PRO-15A with 46-4k.  Only one way to find out.

On 1/21/2018 at 9:18 PM, vasubandu said:

Never heard anything outside home theater

Re your listing ... Have Cornwall's, KG4's and a bunch of other Klipsch speakers. LOVE them (with Bob Crites' Ti diaphragm updates) ... but ... just got a pair of KPT-904 theater speakers ( http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-904-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf;) and these are UNBELIEVABLE ... way beyond the "consumer" Klipsch speakers. Horns are 3" diaphrams (i think) with a 2" throat -- much better/bigger than Cornwall's/Forte's/etc.  yes "200 seat" speakers. ) Plus; (if you can find them) they are "cheaper" than Cornwall's. See my thread under " Klipsch Professional KPT-904" Paid $750 for mine :) and now using my Cornwall's as rear speakers :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I mean what would happen if you made a CF-4 starting with a  Sigma Pro 18 woofer with a 32-2K range.  or a KAPPA PRO-15A with 46-4k.  Only one way to find out.

Actually, there is more than one way to find out.  There is software out there, you can model it BEFORE you spend your money.

It's over my head, but if that is the way the audio itch draws you, then that might be the way for you to go.