Lucky find JBL

MookieStl

My brother in law bought a fixer upper at a lake a couple hours away and wanted me to put in a low budget home theatre. The "good news" was that there were already surround speakers (Realistic) and two speakers "built into" the in wall cabinets. We bought a few items and a brought a few spare speakers to at least get us started. To my surprise the "built in" custom speaker were obviously not done on the cheap. All old school JBL cross overs, dividing networks and drivers. After a few tweaks and a couple wires reattached and they sounded very good.

What I found inside:

3105 cross over

2235H 15" woofer

2420 2312 2307 driver horn lens for mid

2405 H slot tweeter!

Thought we were going to have to trash the mains but doesn't look likely! Woofers need refoam but everything sound good so far.

jbl1.jpg.3c8a94a74cd24ec62f3457c845550c38.jpgjblm.thumb.jpg.3ed677c322e209c05eaf2769a5eae1e5.jpgjblw.thumb.jpg.c86ff93e7d69212d9c02c77657f3fe7a.jpgjblnet.jpg.17f1fe141b118749f4781b5a956413aa.jpg

• Like 5

• Moderators

It's easy, buy the kit and follow the instructions it's not hard at all. It might be a good idea to see if they have replacements that are not foam ?

I had a pair of Baby Advents that had to be replaced about every 5 years, I gave them to a son in law.

If I can replace the foam anyone can.

Looks like everyone got lucky with the cabin.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

It's a nice feeling when a gift lands at our feet.

Unfortunately not at my feet but at my brother in laws feet. I would have had more fun spending his money on new (knowing me, probably used) speakers. I even tried to talk him into selling these and getting new or at least sell the woofers and buy some new Kappa 15As, but no luck. Now I have to do a refoam job. Which should be fun anyway. Time to call Simply Speakers and get the kit heading my way. On the upside, it's another excuse to head to the lake.

42 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Unfortunately not at my feet but at my brother in laws feet. I would have had more fun spending his money on new (knowing me, probably used) speakers. I even tried to talk him into selling these and getting new or at least sell the woofers and buy some new Kappa 15As, but no luck. Now I have to do a refoam job. Which should be fun anyway. Time to call Simply Speakers and get the kit heading my way. On the upside, it's another excuse to head to the lake.

Good for you. Any day at the lake is a good day!

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Good for you. Any day at the lake is a good day!

Shifting gears now. The new foam surrounds are on order, but I am leaving on vacation next week so they will have to wait. Wife wont let me bring my LSI splits so I had to compromise and bring a set of Heresy instead. So had to dust them off and try them out tonight. They should work out just fine. Heading to a much bigger lake in Michigan. In  laws and outlaws, house sleeps 30 but doubt we will end up with that many. Good time every year.

ho.thumb.jpg.f04fe4f2d30a5518d1f9671c4601f0e3.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Shifting gears now. The new foam surrounds are on order, but I am leaving on vacation next week so they will have to wait. Wife wont let me bring my LSI splits so I had to compromise and bring a set of Heresy instead. So had to dust them off and try them out tonight. They should work out just fine. Heading to a much bigger lake in Michigan. In  laws and outlaws, house sleeps 30 but doubt we will end up with that many. Good time every year.

ho.thumb.jpg.f04fe4f2d30a5518d1f9671c4601f0e3.jpg

House sleeps 30!