What would you do ? A question of Bass......

joessportster

Currently have OB set up with a single 15" OB bass unit per side. I have the opportunity to add a 2nd 15" Bass unit per side for very cheap (Under 100.00  all in for a 2nd 15" pair of bass units) The bass in the room now is very nice I dont feel like I am lacking anywhere except maybe impact (Not that impact is missing, I just always crave more after hearing a pair of urei 813b on a 100 wpc counterpoint amp). The room is fairly small at 13.6 feet wide, it is open floor so 22ish feet deep and I set at about 15 feet maybe 8 feet back from the speakers

Currently the top 15" AN driver is being cut off @ 100 HZ, and the lower 15" Emminence alpha picks up at 100 HZ & below

I am curious, I will admit that. would it improve impact ? (The urei had 2 15" drivers, but of course it was in a BR cabinet) 

I do plan to augment bass below 30 HZ with 1 of the tuba subs just so my stomach can get swished around at times, and because it is here WHY NOT use it. 

What say you................:emotion-14: 

OB Baby.PNG

• Like 1

Do you think you are lacking output?

For me (personally) it's all about balance. If one driver or part of the spectrum outshines any other, the system is not balanced.

I actually have to turn down my subwoofer so my system has this balance... yet I am considering getting a second sub, not for output but to even out the delivery in the room as a whole at the lowest frequencies. The main L.P. is already "tuned" for superb sound with only one LF sub.

No Lacking in output, In fact just the opposite overall the balance and output is great, This is only on the table because I can add them so cheaply and I now have the ability to tri-amp with an active cross over in the loop. I do not want to end up with boomie  bass. I am not sure how bass would work I would love the added woofers to add to impact, I fear though that would require a different cross over point........

Now if I can just get the wife to agree :emotion-14:....................The cabinet with the gear is no against the wall, and it sets on rubber wheels so nothing to worry about there. Playing with the crossover points looks as though it will increase the impact just gotta zero in on the proper freq.

IMHO I don't think adding another OB set of bass drivers is going to do anything if you intend on keeping a good balance between the bass and the upper frequencies.  I have two OB 15" drivers per side, but have to attenuate the output vs. just a single driver.  As you are well aware, the OB does have a lower limit of performance that demands some type of subwoofer if you expect to get to the lower frequencies range.  Not to mention any sub 20Hz stuff for movies. 

In my case, use two RSW-15's that are actively controlled to go from 20Hz up to where the OB 15's are crossed on the low end. 

I suspect you would be better off setting up some type of subs to get that lower frequency octaves.  The attached picture shows my current setup, although the RSW's have been moved to another location in the room to optimize and smooth LF frequency response.

photo-8233.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

In my case, use two RSW-15's that are actively controlled to go from 20Hz up to where the OB 15's are crossed on the low end. 

Rudy, how do you accomplish this? Do you just set the knob on the RSW to highest point (100 or whatever it is) then use the active XO's mixer to send R+L input to that one output of your XO to input of your Sub? Say you wanted 30 and below to the sub can you take R/L input set the crossover point and still use the onboard amp of the sub? I've got an RSW-12 and getting ready to take the balanced output from the process to one of the active XO's available inputs but was unclear on how to set the sub.

1 minute ago, rplace said:

Rudy, how do you accomplish this? Do you just set the knob on the RSW to highest point (100 or whatever it is) then use the active XO's mixer to send R+L input to that one output of your XO to input of your Sub? Say you wanted 30 and below to the sub can you take R/L input set the crossover point and still use the onboard amp of the sub? I've got an RSW-12 and getting ready to take the balanced output from the process to one of the active XO's available inputs but was unclear on how to set the sub.

Good question.  I don't use the RSWs' amplification at all.  Actually, over the years I collected 3 RSW-15's that had damaged amps.  I ripped the bad amps out and provide my own amplification and active crossover.  I had not given any thought on how to implement what you are trying to do, but I'm sure it is possible as you describe.

17 hours ago, rplace said:

I ended up finding a used Marchand XM9 this allows me to run 1 output from my pre to the marchand which then splits the signal and runs my highs and lows. This leaves 1 output still avail on my prer which I will be running to my subs..............Only way I can figure out how to basically tri amp.  There are cheaper active crossovers out there.  I have used marchand in the past and I know Phils electronics are outstanding. They do come up time to time on the usual suspect sites (A-Gon, AA, AK, & Usaudiomart)

3 hours ago, joessportster said:

I ended up finding a used Marchand XM9 this allows me to run 1 output from my pre to the marchand which then splits the signal and runs my highs and lows. This leaves 1 output still avail on my prer which I will be running to my subs..............Only way I can figure out how to basically tri amp.  There are cheaper active crossovers out there.  I have used marchand in the past and I know Phils electronics are outstanding. They do come up time to time on the usual suspect sites (A-Gon, AA, AK, & Usaudiomart)

It seems to me like the plate amp or what ever is inside the sub "should" (whatever that means) function just like a passive sub in my mind. Say you had:

Source>>Pre>>Active XO>>Amp>>Speaker (any speaker right they each get their own amp)

In a powered sub isn't the amp before the speaker? So wouldn't you still be going Source>>Pre>Active XO>>AmpAndSpeakerAllInOneBox ?

If you are using the RCA input(s) on the sub the signal must go to the amp first. And if you set the Subs onboard crossover for lack of a better word to anything above the signal you send it say 100hz and you are only feeding it 20-40hz then the Sub's amp should see 40 and below.

This is how it seems to working my head, but I readily admit I don't know much about speaker design. I'm more of an end user not a builder or configuration person...but eager to learn.

22 minutes ago, rplace said:

It seems to me like the plate amp or what ever is inside the sub "should" (whatever that means) function just like a passive sub in my mind. Say you had:

Source>>Pre>>Active XO>>Amp>>Speaker (any speaker right they each get their own amp)

In a powered sub isn't the amp before the speaker? So wouldn't you still be going Source>>Pre>Active XO>>AmpAndSpeakerAllInOneBox ?

If you are using the RCA input(s) on the sub the signal must go to the amp first. And if you set the Subs onboard crossover for lack of a better word to anything above the signal you send it say 100hz and you are only feeding it 20-40hz then the Sub's amp should see 40 and below.

This is how it seems to working my head, but I readily admit I don't know much about speaker design. I'm more of an end user not a builder or configuration person...but eager to learn.

Sounds right to me. And I believe on your RSW-12 @rplace if you select LFE it will bypass the sub's internal LPF.

Sorry for the thread crap @joessportster

10 hours ago, babadono said:

Sounds right to me. And I believe on your RSW-12 @rplace if you select LFE it will bypass the sub's internal LPF.

Sorry for the thread crap @joessportster

Not thread crapping, adding to the conversation :emotion-21:

Before building anything else I will await my new X-Over point chips, The whole idea for me is to add impact.while maintaining clarity, and bass levels I have now