My old Forte Is and listening room.

kink56

Moved recently. I still am enjoying my Forte I with Crites crossovers and Ti tweeter diaphragms.   On the leftt is my Entec L-F30 subwoofer and on the right is my Entec SW-1 subwoofer.    They are used as a stereo pair.  Marantz CD-94, Crown SL-2 preamp and Threshold S-300 II power amp. I also have a Nakamichi CDC-3A CD changer and a Cambridge CXN II for streaming Spotify, FM radio etc. The damned fireplace I will NEVER use forces me to put the Entec SW-1 inboard of the right Forte . 

P1040414.JPG

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kink56 said:

The damned fireplace I will NEVER use

Haha ... what fireplace?

FYI, have Forte I's in my stereo room and have not felt the urge to upgrade them (except for Ti diaphragms) to series III's.   Now, if I can find another pair of KPT-904's or Jubes, I will change my mind :D 

Cheers, Emile

The Ti midrange diaphragms definitely give my Forte Is more "sparkle".  Long term listening will determine if I like the extra presence or not.    But it is not as offensive as it was in my old room with hardwood floors for sure.   In that room I took the midrange Ti diaphragms out after a half hour or so. 

I put the Fortes in the position they sound best.   That was the priority.  It also has to do with the furniture and the sweet spot.    That left no room for me to put the right subwoofer to the outboard of the right Forte because of a fireplace directly to the right of the Forte.     I COULD put the left subwoofer to the inboard of the left Forte, but I'd rather not.  And also I do not want to put the left Forte any further to the left.  

4 hours ago, kink56 said:

The damned fireplace I will NEVER use 

I'm with you on the fireplace.  IMHO, fireplaces have no business in southern Az, but better than half the houses I looked at when I was buying had them. A waste of a good wall and they interfere with potential layouts. During our search my wife would tease me about this opinion. (Rant, rant, rant, pant)

Your Fortes do look fine, though.

JBCODD 

Thanks.  Yep, every single house I looked at had fireplaces.  I wanted a block or brick home and most of those were built prior to the mid 80s.  It seems all the snowbirds that moved here back then thought they needed a fireplace in AZ!!    If I had the money, I would take it out. Maybe someday.    But I am pleased by the sound of this room anyway. 

• Like 1

No thank you.  I would never put Entecs BEHIND my listening position. This is not home theatre we are talking about.    Only the left signal goes to my left subwoofer and only the right signal goes to my right subwoofer.   If I had one subwoofer I could sum the left and right, as I did before I had two.  But even then it was in front of me.   These are not boom boxes. They are actually musical with air and definition.  They delineate notes below 100hz quite well and are quite fast.  They were designed to work well with electrostatic speakers. 

Besides, my Fortes are exactly were I want them.   So moving the subwoofers would not yield me anything.  If I did not have the fireplace the right subwoofer would be right of the right Forte for aesthetic purposes.  

When I was in college one of the better bands playing the clubs around Nashville was Sweetheart. They split up and the guitarist picked up a steady gig playing with Zappa and then Bowie. Later playing with King Crimson for a long time.

He was able to go BIG time in my opinion. Ton of talent, dedication, and unique chops allowed him to move from a bar band to a top act. Kept it together too.