$curious$

Bosco-d-gama

6 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Thanks......... I was going to do it last fall but they found the A-fib on my pre-op ekg. BTW if you’re older be aware of A-fib. Mine was occult and showed no overt symptoms. 

I went for the triple by-pass 4 years ago. Heart surgeon said he would see me in 20 ears. I hope he's right.

Keith

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

I wonder if The Wall would help lower overall healthcare expenses since we'd have fewer....  uh....  never mind.  Don't want to sound political...

Overall, it probably wouldn't help. Apples would then cost around $8 a piece thereby not keeping the doctor away.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I am not sure what you are getting at but Healthcare costs are a mystery to most and there is no rhyme or reason in deciphering them. 

Yes and no. There are a lot of things related to Healthcare costs and what you seem to be hinting at is whether we should have a Universal Healthcare System or one for only those that can afford (or want) to pay for it....Without getting political it appears both sides now want "Pre-existing conditions covered," realize that they are right now under the ACA and there are those that want to charge more money for the protection--That's when the ACA no longer will be a cost-effective Universal Healthcare System and those that can't afford it will lose their benefits. 

Nothing cost effective about it. When the wife was let go from medicaid because my paltry 1600 disability a month was to MUCH money here in NC. I went to the ACA website which of course failed to work. I called and I was told that due to my income being to LOW to qualify for assistance with the wifes medical ins. Best they could offer was 585.00 a month for the wife. It should be obvious that number is asinine. I took the liberty to inquire about the law I was given a waiver.......................Total and Complete Horse S#$t..............Simply put a money grab, they dont give a damn if you have coverage............................. 

Last year I had to go to the doctor to have them look at an extremely painful infection I developed in my thumb...

22458404153_9af6f3138c_k.jpg

I went to an in network hospital, and refused any local anesthetic or drug... and was only seen by a nurse prac to have it drained.

22456813554_07e0a3967a_k.jpg

The results was a bill for nearly 5,000$. Next time I am just going to do it myself at home.

Yes, something is definitely broken.

1 hour ago, joessportster said:

I did not fall under typical law when I was working. I worked for the railroad when injured and disabled, they continue coverage for 2 years, then cut you off, never mind it took more than 4 years to get settled and another year to get RRB to approve disability

I know very little about disability but I did retire after 36 years of working for a Class I railroad. Two guys I worked with worked decades before going on disability. One of them the employer disqualified after they found out he had cancer. His healthcare was provided until he reached age 65. Another was injured at work an he was disabled. Again his health insurance was paid by the carrier. The were others that I knew of that were either disabled or disqualified but I don't know the details of their experiences. Maybe healthcare is negotiated in a settlement. I don't know about all cases.

Keith

2 hours ago, richieb said:

What I do know and did experience was upon retirement and looking for acceptable insurance was within a couple weeks of speaking with an agent with BCBS they pulled out of the state, leaving Zero, No health insurance being written in the state. Huh? Went to an independent agent who not only confirmed this but was highly critical of “Obamacare” and what it had done to rising costs and companies exiting the market

Like I said, there are some problems with the ACA and they need to be addressed. I didn't realize there were states without access to Health Insurance and am surprised there is--What state do yo live in?

2 hours ago, joessportster said:

Simply put a money grab, they dont give a damn if you have coverage............................. 

That is because your Government isn't addressing the Healthcare situation except for fighting it.  I've mentioned our situation in several threads, but by 2008 we were about to be driven out of the market. By 2010 if the ACA didn't come along we would be without insurance after paying premiums for almost 35 years  and lucky enough only to see a doctor for a few minor things...We were paying more in premiums than Federal taxes and that is simply nuts.

1 hour ago, joessportster said:

I did not fall under typical law when I was working. I worked for the railroad when injured and disabled, they continue coverage for 2 years, then cut you off, never mind it took more than 4 years to get settled and another year to get RRB to approve disability

I had a friend that had a similar fate after an accident. It amazed me what his employer got away with and stories like this make me realize that maybe after this election they start another push for cleaning up the ACA or scrapping it for a Single Payer system that works in other countries.

2 hours ago, Schu said:

The results was a bill for nearly 5,000$. Next time I am just going to do it myself at home.

As I mentioned before, deciphering Hospital bills isn't something easily done but if you are insured and went to your in network doctor and your outta pocket expense was $5,000 then surely there is something about the situation that we don't know--Even at full cost that seems way too much unless you stayed in the hospital overnight.

Healthcare is a complex problem. But, if we’re to adopt the position that it is a basic right - then - we must also adopt preventative measures that are proven to reduce healthcare problems. No tobacco, BMI incentives, etc. As it stands the ACA is a $$ redistribution program. Those who work are deemed responsible to support those who do not, regardless of lifestyle. I have 2 sons. One has achieved a respectable level in life through a lot of dedication and tough work (he was special ed). The other is lost to a wasted life of drugs and welfare. Of course the hard working son pays dearly in taxes and health insurance whilst the other gets paid to do nothing and his all too common health care crisis cost him zilch. That is not right nor should it be considered a ‘right’. If you refuse to row the boat you should not get to ride in it. 

• Like 1

Like voting, it could be considered a right until one screws up enough to lose it.  Capitalism depends upon healthy workers.  Germany produces a lot of very high quality products, and they have health care for their citizens.  Third world  countries leave it up to the ones who can afford it, and no one else gets it.  Which model and label do you prefer?

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

As I mentioned before, deciphering Hospital bills isn't something easily done but if you are insured and went to your in network doctor and your outta pocket expense was $5,000 then surely there is something about the situation that we don't know--Even at full cost that seems way too much unless you stayed in the hospital overnight.

Most plans have a max out of pocket per year.