Synthetic Motor Oil.....

SWL

It may be normal but it's not right especially with new vehicles.  That was the norm 20 or 30 years ago, now, not so much.
Exactly. Manufacturers are saying it's normal to cover their butts. Keep oil in it and you'll be fine but if it's using/burning oil something isn't quite right. Right?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just now, SWL said:

Exactly. Manufacturers are saying it's normal to cover their butts. Keep oil in it and you'll be fine but if it's using/burning oil something isn't quite right. Right?

Dodge won't authorize a warranty repair unless you're using a quart or more every 750 miles.  To me that figure is ridiculous.

• Like 2

Look, I never made any claims, or said it was better, or worse than anything else.  I never even said that I used it (which I do).  I simply posted information that I found after you asked the question.  You are welcome to read it or not, or believe it or not.  And yet you want to call me out and argue about it.

You're welcome.

Relax big guy. We'rejust talking about oil.[emoji4]

Lots of first hand experience with both standard and synthetic.

Standard oil will burn and clot clogging up returns and leaks as well, when synthetic first came out this was a big issue as worn engines would leak out of everywhere it possibly could.

Just a heads up but oil only goes through the filter when oil pressure is low like idling hot at a light otherwise it goes through the bypass.

Synthetic oil now contains something to make seals swell like normal oil so the negatives are a thing of the past. Synthetic will last longer and protect better because it simply is able to lubricate longer without breaking down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jason str said:

Just a heads up but oil only goes through the filter when oil pressure is low like idling hot at a light otherwise it goes through the bypass.

It should go thorough the bypass if the filter is plugged to keep pressure from dropping too low.  The bypass opens allowing unfiltered oil to circulate throughout the motor without going through the filter.  Maybe we're saying the same thing?

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

It should go thorough the bypass if the filter is plugged to keep pressure from dropping too low.  The bypass opens allowing unfiltered oil to circulate throughout the motor without going through the filter.  Maybe we're saying the same thing?

Oil filters contain a check valve, if oil pressure is higher than the check valve is rated for it flows through the bypass. Only when the oil pressure is lower than the rated check valve it will flow through the filter.

It's not normal.  it is either dripping out or burning up.  
Yeah, in my case it's definitely not dripping out because I check it all the time. A couple mechanics I talked to said it's common for these type of vehicles to "burn" oil.......for whatever reason.

Just now, jason str said:

Oil filters contain a check valve, if oil pressure is higher than the check valve is rated for it flows through the bypass. Only when the oil pressure is lower than the rated check valve it will flow through the filter.

I was referring to the check valve in the oil pump.

Jason, I'll be sending you a pm about another Tuba build shortly.[emoji106]

2 minutes ago, SWL said:

Yeah, in my case it's definitely not dripping out because I check it all the time. A couple mechanics I talked to said it's common for these type of vehicles to "burn" oil.......for whatever reason.

All cars burn oil, its normal. If it burns too much oil rings or valve seals are probably worn.