DIY bass bins - dual 12" woofers

Emile

1 hour ago, MenloBob said:

Any progress on updating the Fortes?

Yes/no/maybe :D  Tried the Eminence 12" Pro woofers ... of course I was "dumb" and put them into "both," therefore not really able to A/B them :(  Seemed to have a little more "punch," but not that obvious :(  Will play some more with them and see :D 

Haha; made a CL seller an offer on some dual 15" pro Yamaha S215V speakers ... of course after 4 emails no response (yet?) ... CraigsList sellers are TERRIBLE :( Also looking at Yamaha mid-range subs SW115V :) 

Cheers, Emile

12 minutes ago, MenloBob said:

Do you have the 510s covering the top end with the forte cabinet only driving the 12"?

Yes; 510's on top of the Forte's.  MiniDSP xover set to >500Hz on the 510's, and <1000Hz on the Forte's ... tried many, many settings :(  The Forte's are just "tiny."  Of course I am not making a "fair" comparison ... trying to get them to sound like my KPT-904's with 510's and BIG dual 15" woofer boxes :D 

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... yes; have a Umik-1 mike

Is the Marantz 1060 driving the 12s? Maybe you need more power to tightly control the bass driver. Perhaps swap in the Crown from your pro system.

I think if you get this setup dialed in correctly the Forte cabs should be plenty big enough for the room.  Bands play small venues all the time with single 12" in smaller cabs than your Fortes. They won't play super low, but they should be able to move a lot of air with those new Eminence drivers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MenloBob said:

Is the Marantz 1060 driving the 12s?

Hi Bob,

Thanks. Yes, had the Marantz 1060 on the Forte's ... but also tried a Crown XLS 400 ...  did not hear any difference, but the Crown died after 10 minutes :(  

On 2/14/2019 at 6:57 PM, Emile said:

Update :D  

Yes; dual 12's or even a single 15" will be THE way to go.  But, having a knee replacement in 3-4 weeks so won''t be able to do much lifting/fabricating for a couple of months :(  

Had some GREAT PM discussions with @wvu80 and @moray james (THANK YOU guys)  and first going to try a pair of Pro woofers (Eminence Delta 12LFA) in my Forte cabinets.  Moray thinks it might get me close to Cornwall's.  Hey; for $150 it's worth a try :)  

OK; will probably build another box in 3 months ... stay tuned.

Many thanks for everyone's input!

Cheers, Emile

Two 12's is the Sd (surface area) of an 18" woofer, so it should work beyond a Cornwall.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Emile said:

Hi Bob,

Thanks. Yes, had the Marantz 1060 on the Forte's ... but also tried a Crown XLS 400 ...  did not hear any difference, but the Crown died after 10 minutes :(  

Too bad I’m 3000 miles away. I’d love to help get this going. I really think directly driving the 12s with a strong amp and judicious EQ will get you close with what you have. 

Here’s my concept for a Heresy version. These will fit in the space I have available (while allowing me to stay married).F5C749F4-C725-442C-B87F-5B645886EB8F.thumb.jpeg.d34b3795b1b6b5fa09a91789501d84c5.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MenloBob said:

Too bad I’m 3000 miles away. I’d love to help get this going. I really think directly driving the 12s with a strong amp and judicious EQ will get you close

OK; looking at a Crown XLS 2502 :)  Almost ready to spend the $$ ... Like your Heresy+510 concept :) 

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I have a hard time imagining the bottom keeping up with the top.

Yes, this is why a Double Super Heresy would be the ticket! Rear ports and all!! Two 12's is like an 18, so it would stomp a Cornwall with the right Compression Driver and Crossover!

Double12.jpg

54 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, this is why a Double Super Heresy would be the ticket! Rear ports and all!! Two 12's is like an 18, so it would stomp a Cornwall with the right Compression Driver and Crossover!

Double12.jpg

That would definitely be cool.

23 minutes ago, billybob said:

There is only a comparison and the you go 15 inch K-48-E for example...imo

Perhaps there is a prefer in sound with the 12 inch. There are some that prefer the 10's. Emile it may be a prefer so, trust your judgment.

You may well be checking out the sounds from your forte' bass, etc... Thinking you have 15's, what with your Pro, of course... or go 18's, lol.

19 hours ago, Marvel said:

With two 12s you might as well just get Jubes...

Not if you want to save money and floor space, with their inherent compromises, of course. Although they would be time aligned with the right passive network, so no compromise there as in the Jubes with passives.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Not if you want to save money and floor space, with their inherent compromises, of course. Although they would be time aligned with the right passive network, so no compromise there as in the Jubes with passives.

I only meant it in the context of two 12s and thought it humorous.

It would be better to build an MEH or similar.  🙄

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

I only meant it in the context of two 12s and thought it humorous.

It would be better to build an MEH or similar.  🙄

You are right, of course, but it's a bit more complicated than a box with 4 holes in it. 2 for the drivers and 2 for the ports.

• Like 1