Internet service options FOUND! 4G LTE using tablet SIM and router

avguytx

18 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Well shit, what does it cost, maybe I'm a buyer.   LA scalas alone should make the sale!

Hee NOT FOR SALE, EVER!!

This IS my Retirement Home! My Shared International Student Living Retirement Home! I've been living in shared student living for over 30 years!  This IS my Retirement Profession!

I KNOW the value of my home: Location, Location and Location! 5min walk tio UMSL, 5min walk to the UMSL South Metrolink station and a 5min Electric Car ride to/from STL International Airport!

I fell into my Dream Retirement Home! :-)

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Shared Student Living EXPERT!

2 hours ago, babadono said:

This won't help but i think it is pertinent. I have a relatively new co worker from Korea. He says "i don't understand USA, in Korea we have free internet everywhere. Wanna watch your favorite TV show on your phone while you're grocery shopping, no problem."

Korea has pretty much been at the top of the heap for a long time in providing citizen internet internet access.

Bruce

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Check your wireless provider for new plans.  I had an old plan, changed it over to a new plan and am saving 60 bucks a month with unlimited data.  It is worth looking into.

I do that every few months or so just to check. We're on a 20gb/mo plan and my wife also gets a 20% medical discount on it. Whatever we don't use in a month adds to the next months data.  They seldom use over 15gb a month with 3 iphones and 2 iwatches. My phone is supplied by the city. I hate that those damn watches have to have their own line. 

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Check your wireless provider for new plans.  I had an old plan, changed it over to a new plan and am saving 60 bucks a month with unlimited data.  It is worth looking into.

A Plan? Like "A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama"? World's Longest Palindrome?

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Carrier Of NO CELL PHONES! (Unless I SAY!)

• 5 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 3:40 PM, avguytx said:

Definitely not going satellite internet as that is THE worst ever.

I suddenly feel inadequate....  

Satellite was about the only choice that would work for me.  I had an ISDN for while but was so far from the box, my '"dual 64K banded together to get me  128K access" was about 56K.

So my satellite is much faster for what I do (in general, I don't do any video nor music downloads)

Get this....  AT&T was bringing fiber optic out to the country.  Came near my road.  Came DOWN my road!!!  Got about halfway down my road and they made an abrupt turn into a new development (2 residents there verses three where I am).  I asked the installer about us further down the road, he scratched his head and said he/they thought the road past where they turned was a driveway (implying there is NO plan to take it down there)

So it's within tasting distance and I have no clue if they will ever bring it out my way or not.  It's about 1/2 mile via road or perhaps half that as the crow flies (cutting across the land).

Good luck with what you're doing!

Yeah I can relate with the fiber being close...it's less than a half mile from me and the neighborhood we're in has maybe 12 houses that are all quite nice.  But that doesnt matter.  There's Cablelynx in the ground from 15 years ago when the neighborhood was first started, then stalled,  but they have said they don't/won't service the in ground cable anymore here so what's here is here.  Now a few more houses have been built with a few more coming soon.  Maybe that will persuade AT&T to drop fiber in here.  Literally EVERYONE would switch as there's no real choice.

I tested my Verizon phone outside and I get an average of 15mb down and 5mb up but in the house it drops to 5mb or less down and 1 to 2mb up as my roof has the radiant barrier which blocks a lot of signal.  I ran a speed test on my son's phone, which the rest of them are AT&T, and I get between 25 and 50mb down and 15mb up so that's definitely good.  I'm going to try a device I put an AT&T SIM card in that's an added line to our unlimited plan and use a separate antenna and see how much high of signal I get from that. I would think it has to be better being up higher and away from inside the house.  Worth a shot.  

I only stream Spotify and watch basic stuff but my 12 year old does like to play online PS4 games so we should be ok.  I think when we were in the rent house and had AT&T Uverse, we used about 200gb a month on average with a 50mb connection.  At house we sold, I had 100mb cable connection and was around 200 to 300gb a month. Maybe more sometimes. 

Ok, I have another plan in the works and have ordered the gear to set it up and test.  If this does work out well, I will post what I'm working with.  If this works well, I will try it at my in-laws house and see what the reception is like although their cell service is awful inside the house. 

6 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Please keep us informed. Always looking for something better than this.

It's actually pretty similar to what you're using now except a little more in-depth on the router/modem part where it can/could have an external outside antenna.  The router uses a SIM card that is for a tablet and not a cell phone and uses a tablet data only plan which adds $20/mo to our AT&T Unlimited & More plan. It has LAN output so I can tie it into my own router & switch for my wired house and 2 separate AP's.   Hoping it works reasonably well for awhile.

1 minute ago, rockhound said:

Was this in the house? If so buy a ATT hot spot and call it a day.

Nope.  Inside the house it's lucky to be 3 ~ 5mb down and  .5 ~1mb up due to the radiant barrier of my roof on the inside of the panels.  A hot spot caps the data at some basic amount; this does cap the data but "deprioritizes" if you go past 22gb but might, or might not, throttle your speed down.  I don't want to be limited to 10gb.  ;)

Sweet.  I got the goodies in on Wednesday but didn't get a chance to mess with anything till last night.  Using a WE826-T2 router and Sierra Wireless MC7455 modem and adding on an iPad/tablet  data line only to our AT&T Unlimited & More plan, I now have internet.  I'm getting speeds anywhere from 20 to 30mb down and 5 to 12mb up with the most basic antennas on the router and I'll be getting better high gain antennas to get better and more stable speeds.  I can live with this for sure.  $20 bucks a month, unlimited data, and now I can stream Spotify again and use WiFi to control the two JRiver setups upstairs.  All of the Smart TV's are wired in and my sons PS4...although the PS4 may not play friendly on this method.  No biggie to me, though.  lol

The router and modem came from LTEFix.com and the SIM directly from AT&T.  This is a 10/100 modem which is fine with me for now unless it looks like I can pull speeds over 100mb, which I doubt.  Activation fee was waived for the data plan since it came through them and the SIM was shipped free at no cost.

This is a snipped picture of a speed test I just did while doing a remote session (via RemotePC) from my office to my music room desktop.  Not too shabby...

@rockhound  @JL Sargent

image.png.5ea233b8642abe8574ffdd07a5ba6a77.png