Heresy serial number list

MGgirl

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Err, I'd be a bit hesitant to use a magic eraser.  Those aluminum edgings are known to have a very thin layer of anodizing, which can be polished away.  I tried a magic eraser, official Mr. Clean brand, to remove a stain on a wall.  I soon had to stop, because it was removing the paint.  Those Magic Erasers are very effective, but you have to be careful what you use them on.

I'm just suggesting that you ask around and do a bit more research before doing anything to the edging.  Those are rare speakers, so you want to be careful that you don't do anything to compromise their value.  Maybe just try water and dish soap first, being careful not to wet the rest of the cabinets.

Hmm, re-reading your post, I see that they have scratches, not the stains that I first thought they had.  In that case, it's up to you to decide whether you want to remove the edging, have it buffed clean, and maybe ask about re-anodizing, because although aluminum does not rust (only iron/steel rusts), it can corrode pretty quickly, going dull within hours after polishing.  This means that it needs some kind of surface treatment to protect it.  Anodizing is one way, but clear lacquer is another option, ideally applied by a shop painter who knows what he's doing.

Also see what other Forum members suggest/recommend.  Meanwhile, how do they sound?  Are you enjoying them?

The mids and highs are crazy good.  The lows are good, but it doesn’t get punchy til I turn it up pretty loud.  They are honestly way, WAY too much speaker for my little house.  I’m not sure what to do with them.  My uncle had a Carvin PA1200 powering them and he had dialed in with a microverb 3 to match the type of music (hall, echo, other effects) he was playing and used some JBL EON15’s for the lows.  He was a crazy audiophile.

1 hour ago, Skinnerbox said:

The mids and highs are crazy good.  The lows are good, but it doesn’t get punchy til I turn it up pretty loud.  They are honestly way, WAY too much speaker for my little house.  I’m not sure what to do with them.  My uncle had a Carvin PA1200 powering them and he had dialed in with a microverb 3 to match the type of music (hall, echo, other effects) he was playing and used some JBL EON15’s for the lows.  He was a crazy audiophile.

Heresys are too much speaker for your house?  No way, Mister Skinner.  I've seen La Scalas in apartments.  You just need a subwoofer or two to fill in the bottom end, then you'll get that punch without having to run the volume really high.  Are you able to get the rest of your uncle's system?  If you can assemble a system that's tried and optimized, that will save you lots of time in getting the system dialled in, right?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Islander said:

I'd be a bit hesitant to use a magic eraser.  Those aluminum edgings are known to have a very thin layer of anodizing,  

Pat  , the magic eraser actually works great with diluted household cleaner to  remove  the  oxidation on the metal trim  ,  it brings these back to a shine without polishing  which is worse .

the 2nd option is very  expensive   ( few 100's ) as it involves   Electroless nickel-phosphorous  plating.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JFS said:

I just purchased two Heresy in black with original document envelope still attached to the back.

Bought from original owner trying to figure out the year

Looks like sn are 595378 and 595379, any help would be great.

Maybe the historian will help here...

@JRH

That was great info, thanks!

I have had them all since the early 80's, Khorns, La Scala, Cornwalls and cheap Best Buy Klipsch spkrs (junk).

Just sold my beloved La Scalas due to downsizing and felt these would do the trick.

First set of Heresy's but have heard plenty over the years, $400.00 for the pair in pristine condition, sounds like I did well.

Briefly did a test run with Hotel California, I must say the bass is TIGHT and punchy and that is a good thing

May need to get some sort of angled platform to go under them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 11:49 AM, JFS said:

I just purchased two Heresy in black with original document envelope still attached to the back.

Bought from original owner trying to figure out the year

Looks like sn are 595378 and 595379, any help would be great.

the second "5" in your serial number is most likely an "S" -- the "S" indicates 1978 (as 001 mentioned)

• 3 months later...