Minimum wattage for the RF 7 II's or III's ?

Dean HTD

34 minutes ago, GuyIsDamGood said:

Hello 

I was watching a video on the Klipsch RF-7 iii Tower Speakers.    I believe someone said that the speakers are really 4-ohms.

Anyone know if that is basically true?

Thank you 

No,  certenly not , they´re 8 Ohm Speaker

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

they have impedance dips way below 8 ohms, they need an amp with Oomph....IMHO.

Are they 8 ohms nominal?.......umm...OK

@GuyIsDamGood owns a Rotel RB-1582 MK II  with 200W / 8Ohm per channel , that fits , and of course there ´re impedance dips like in every speaker 🙂

MicroMara and babadono; thanks for the help/info.

(I'm aware (understand) of the speaker impedance-drops.    Yesterday; I've watched many videos on Speaker Impedance-drops (Audioholics videos are best).

alright.    The Klipsch RF-7 iii Tower Speakers impedance Can drop below 8 - 6 ohms.    (yesterday; I played a few bass-tracks.    The RF-7 iii Tower Speakers delivered really-nice bass response) - it was 51° in the room.    The Rotel RB-1582 Mk ii was Warm but not hot during play-back.

• Like 2

The minimum watts per channel can be 50 SS.

A while back a member used a modern Teac with decent enough sound, and was quite pleased. However, was warned about driving too hard with the lower wattage so. Seems the 7 series can handle impedence dips quite well, as it should.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:41 PM, GuyIsDamGood said:

Hello 

I was watching a video on the Klipsch RF-7 iii Tower Speakers.    I believe someone said that the speakers are really 4-ohms.

Anyone know if that is basically true?

Fwiw, the original RF-7s benifited from power sources rated to drive 4 Ohm speakers, esspessially if used in a multichannel configuration and/or played loud.

On 4/18/2023 at 2:17 PM, MicroMara said:

No,  certenly not , they´re 8 Ohm Speaker

Hmm...For some reason I thought because of the explanation below in Europe they couldn't be labeled 8 Ohm:

On 4/18/2023 at 2:38 PM, babadono said:

they have impedance dips way below 8 ohms, they need an amp with Oomph....

Fwiw, both the first couple of generations had a couple of dips below 4 Ohms.

On 4/18/2023 at 2:38 PM, babadono said:

Are they 8 ohms nominal?

I believe Klipsch calls it "8 Ohm compatible." 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, the original RF-7s benifited from power sources rated to drive 4 Ohm speakers, esspessially if used in a multichannel configuration and/or played loud.

Hmm...For some reason I thought because of the explanation below in Europe they couldn't be labeled 8 Ohm:

Fwiw, both the first couple of generations had a couple of dips below 4 Ohms.

I believe Klipsch calls it "8 Ohm compatible." 😎

True...that nominal th...ing

It is normal for impedance to vary with music.  Dips can below 3 or up to well above 8.  Most amp will push the 7"s without a problem.  You will cause not only speaker damage but, damage to your ears.  On my tube amp in a 20x20 room open to other spaces  I rarely exceed 3 watts.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

At what Frequency ??

According to the official tec specs they´re 8 Ohm nominal speaker as we know . I have a impedance measurement graphic from a german audio cinema forum in my personal data showing this results. Kindly built your own opinion 🙂

1735161207_MKIIIImpendancekleiner.jpg.7931eb43389e81d320bc655871c0b222.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Forgot to tell you what I think about the above Impedance graphic ..every good 8 Ohm SS Amp can handle these dips without any problems, maybe some tube amps can´t handle these impedance dips .

Why would you think they may present a problem to tube amps?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 82 Cornwalls said:

Why would you think they may present a problem to tube amps?

a powerfull push and pull or single ended tube amp (  for example 20 W / 8 ohm ) can handle the impedance dips without any problems , may a tube amp with 3 to 5 watt can get problems. These will shut off on higher volume levels.

16 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

a powerfull push and pull or single ended tube amp (  for example 20 W / 8 ohm ) can handle the impedance dips without any problems , may a tube amp with 3 to 5 watt can get problems. These will shut off on higher volume levels.

Why would a tube amp shut off? I have never heard of such a thing.

FWIW I have hooked up four 6 ohm drivers in parallel to a 2 watt set, it never shut off.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 82 Cornwalls said:

Why would a tube amp shut off? I have never heard of such a thing.

FWIW I have hooked up four 6 ohm drivers in parallel to a 2 watt set, it never shut off.

as long as 6 ohms is the lowest impedance dip , they don´t shut off , impedances below 4 Ohms can cause a shut off.

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

as long as 6 ohms is the lowest impedance dip , they don´t shut off , impedances below 4 Ohms can cause a shut off.

4 x 6 ohm drivers in parallel is 1.5 ohm nominal and lower in dips.

What does shut off mean? Protection circuitry? Never owned a tube amp with that.

Do you actually have any tube amp experience/knowledge?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 82 Cornwalls said:

4 x 6 ohm drivers in parallel is 1.5 ohm nominal and lower in dips.

What does shut off mean? Protection circuitry? Never owned a tube amp with that.

Do you actually have any tube amp experience/knowledge?

There are three ways to connect speakers together: Parallel connection, series connection or the combination of both. If the loudspeakers are connected via a crossover, the load of the crossover apply. So what shell be the sense of your posts if you´know everything so well ? And yes I got tube amps at home . Kindly finish any reply now ! I´m no longer willing to communicate at this level.