Chorus III Experiment

dtr20

On 4/4/2020 at 1:42 PM, jjptkd said:

I've gone over this repeatedly the drivers are near identical impedance wise, frequency response is near the same a slight shift I believe because of the different size drivers and slightly lower input sensitivity of 55's.

Anyway, this is a hobby-- People do all sorts of funky things all of the time experimenting and no one bats an eye but this basic, pretty straight forward mod is a no go?  I trust my ears and always do side by side tests of stock versus changed and spend a considerable amount of time evaluating things and this is a modification I'm confident is a move in the right direction with the Chorus II.

In the next few days I'm going to complete my Chorus II mod with the CF-4 horn / A55-g combo and if they perform anything like my custom 362's I'd bet they'd hold their own against a pair of La Scalas.

Hey any news about your chorus II project?

As far as my chorus II speakers are concerned, I have them both running the A55G midrange drivers in the forte III horns, mounted to the motorboard by adapters that I designed and printed on my 3d printer to make up the difference in space from the chorus II mid-range horn cutout. I love the sound of these speakers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Just a quick update to the Chorus III project. Just got a pair of large MAHL tweeters. This is basically becoming a Super Chorus II speaker at this point. No thoughts on the drivers yet since I just got them installed and it is recommended to let them break in. I will be eventually doing an A+B comparison with the stock tweeters (with Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms).542a13a3d5131718735b7bcd140f896f.jpg1a2a2cef80eb2fb022ffdb707eb65bf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I will say, these tweeters look way bigger than the stock black ones. When I first looked at them, I was convinced they wouldn't fit in the recessed opening of the motorboard. Just an optical illusion, but these things look wicked, and are quite beefy.

17 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I think many here would agree, a chorus III is absolutely needed.... 

I agree, but by the time they get here and the quarterly price increases they should be right around $10k…so I’m out! 🤨 

joking of course..well, half joking. 

19 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

I agree, but by the time they get here and the quarterly price increases they should be right around $10k…so I’m out! 🤨 

joking of course..well, half joking. 

Honestly, you aren't joking. That's likely close where they would come in with the current pricing trends. Likely 8k or so. 

20 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Just a quick update to the Chorus III project. Just got a pair of large MAHL tweeters. This is basically becoming a Super Chorus II speaker at this point. No thoughts on the drivers yet since I just got them installed and it is recommended to let them break in. I will be eventually doing an A+B comparison with the stock tweeters (with Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms).542a13a3d5131718735b7bcd140f896f.jpg1a2a2cef80eb2fb022ffdb707eb65bf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I had to take the risers off my Chorus II pair. They were tattered and splintered by the previous owner. I installed the new 2 inch high style black risers for simplicity. To my surprise, the bass tightened up, and gave me a bit more punch and definition. The technical term for this sonic phenomenon is 'more better'. 

• Haha 1