Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

6 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I do blame drug policies that fail to protect our youth regardless of location.

If government is part of the problem, then it must also be part of the answer?  What happened when government prohibited alcohol?  How did that policy work out?  How does it feel to be a closet authoritarian?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

The ‘character’ of my own family faced challenges. Some were won and some weren’t.

never was one to think it wise to judge a person by their worst moments. We are more than one single snapshot from our lives. Heard a minister say once that it doesn't matter where you've been, it only matters which direction you're going. Hope things are looking up for all of your family. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

never was one to think it wise to judge a person by their worst moments. We are more than one single snapshot from our lives. Heard a minister say once that it doesn't matter where you've been, it only matters which direction you're going. Hope things are looking up for all of your family. 

Thank you. It is not a simple journey. Sadly, very sadly - it is a journey way too many families have travelled. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

But it should never be bad enough that you end up listening to Journey.

I saw Journey in concert ... in Los Angeles too. Now humming ... Wheel in the Sky.  I will say that I may be tempted to take an ice pick to my ears whenever I hear Don't Stop Believing. Truly one of the worst songs of all time. 

• Haha 2

Location does make a difference in terms of the way people think and how they behave.  Some cities are well-known for their vices, and many of the inhabitants like to live up to that image.  New Orleans comes to mind.  It certainly isn't like Houston.

As far as saying California is headed down the tubes, I guess that depends on how you define "tubes."  The real estate there is out of this world and climbing ever higher.  They have some of the most cutting-edge, best employers over there - a really great location to find a fulfulling job or career.  There might be a lot of pissing in the streets, but if that street isn't too close to you, I imagine life can be very good as long as you can afford to fit in.

I would say California is really "exclusive."  People get priced out, but if they had enough dough, I bet they wouldn't be talking so bad about it.    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

But they take your children...

I think he deserves a little more credit for that statement than that.  It's pretty well-known that environment plays an important role in how people behave.  Not necessarily a controlling or predictable role, but the "forces" are in play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I think he deserves a little more credit for that statement than that.  It's pretty well-known that environment plays an important role in how people behave.  Not necessarily a controlling or predictable role, but the "forces" are in play.

So is "free will."  And who exactly do you think first made the claim?