Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

I was recently approached by an owner of a high end contracting business in Los Angeles to become their director of operations. They build interiors of restaurants, office buildings, and have hi-end residential clients, all masonry and decorative concrete. I know it's a huge change from a medium sized midwest city. Housing cost are astronomical. It's mainly in the Hollywood, Burbank, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, Glendale, and north LA areas. 

I know there's a huge group of people leaving Cali, most going to Texas, Las Vegas, and Florida. I spent 4 days there last week with their crews and liked the place MUCH more than I thought I would have. I know everyone has an opinion. let's hear them.....

Just do the old Ben Franklin and make a real list of the pro's and cons covering everything, financial, personal and logistics and more than likely, the answer will be pretty clear.

My opinion or anyone else's opinion shouldn't have anything to do with it as the decision will have no bearing on our lives.  Just my .02

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I spent 4 days there last week with their crews and liked the place MUCH more than I thought I would have.

The difference between visiting somewhere and living there can be drastic.  Weigh your options and include cost of living/traffic/taxes/political climate etc and see if it's something you can tolerate.  It's a big step and there will be a huge culture shock you'll have to deal with.

• Like 3

Great advice from Pete above.  Make a list on a legal pad, Pros one side, Cons the other.

I was making a bunch of money living in San Diego.  Traffic and competition for virtually everything drove me out...even for minor things such as a parking space at the grocery store, restaurant reservations, etc, etc, etc....absolutely ridiculous.

Traffic and terrible commute equals stress.  No way I would ever move back to California.

• Like 3

I'd love the weather there if I could live in a more secluded community and had some essentials close by so that I would not have to drive very much.  Otherwise, every time that I have went there the driving is a deal killer.  Factor in what that will do to an eight hour work day. 

Have you driven in the traffic there?  You move then hit a jam and are going 5 mph on the highway, you make it past it, get up to a normal speed for a little bit, then hit the next area and slow down to 5 mph again, over and over.  It can take an hour to go 20 miles. 

Also make sure that you properly calculate your cost of living, including taxes and being in a higher federal tax bracket.  Housing is very expensive too.  It does add up. 

Did I mention how much I envy the weather? 

7 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Did I mention how much I envy the weather? 

That's the ONLY good reason to live in CA.  Everything else is screaming at me to leave.  Ended up buying.... So I guess Im stuck here for a bit.   I agree with Jim about his points.   I am in an area where traffic, parking, overcrowding and so on don't bother me.  The traffic and the cost of living are both what are horrendous as a whole.  The area of Los Angeles in general pays the best for what I do.  Go figure, I work out of the area.   My personal strategy is to only drive on the freeway from 10 am to 2 pm unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. That lessens the burden substantially.   I don't go to areas where parking and traffic are a problem except for a special occasion or specific reason.   Overall, the weather is what makes it pleasant.   Everything else can be had elsewhere IMO. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

That's the ONLY good reason to live in CA. 

Are there any affordable towns between LA and San Diego?  A beautiful area and if you can work from a remote location this would be ideal.  I like the seclusion.  A few strip malls and a home depot and I am happy. 

One thing about the cost of living, if you read about retirement planning, the advise is always to live where it is more affordable, even if you have a very high income as this will really affect your goal. 

I'd move back in a heartbeat.

all the negatives mentioned are true, but don't let your imagination run wild. life here in the PNW isn't much different, except for we don't have the nice weather. life is what you make of it. look for things to hate and you'll find them -- focus on the positives and you'll be alright. 

there are good areas and bad areas -- you'll figure out the commute.  housing is expensive but you'll probably be earning more and there are many places, outside of the madness to live.

• Like 3

Just now, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Are there any affordable towns between LA and San Diego? 

Depends on what affordable means to you I suppose, but my answer is yes to that question.  As you get closer to the beach and have better schools, prices can jump substantially.   I believe the median home price in socal was 600k+ not long ago. Any think home prices will begin dropping here shortly as they are incredibly high.   In desirable areas, seems to be damn close to 100% list to sale.  I consider my area to be somewhat affordable for what you get and what our income is.  My father is a realtor and he's the one that convinced me to stay, but the wife and I were ready to go to Oregon, Utah or Washington.... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

life is what you make of it.  -- focus on the positives and you'll be alright. 

I have thought about leaving Las Vegas many times but in speaking to people that have left, many come back or regret leaving. 

We have very hot summers, but once the sun goes down it is actually very nice at night.  The natural landscape is not that nice (but the mountains are very nice), but we do not have snow, tornadoes, hurricanes, or even very many bugs or rodents.  I have been workings in my attic and no critters at all.  We also have a lot of really nice weather, like 7 or 8 months, and even in the winter we get so many 60 degree days. 

Plus offroading and hiking in the desert are really nice if you explore. 

This is what I came up with and decided to stay. 

Just now, Westcoastdrums said:

Depends on what affordable means to you I suppose, but my answer is yes to that question.

this is true.  I chose to live closer to work, but had friends that worked in San Pedro and lived in san Bernardino. too much of a commute for me but they were getting homes for cheaper so they were cool with a long commute. I'd rent a place until he figured out SoCal -- so many options. 

What about forested areas in Arizona?  I heard from a guy that bought a car from me and drove it all the way back that the weather there is quote ncie mostly year round?  I can't handle the heat, no go for me. I love being outdoors.  It's hot enough for me here.  I'm a hot weather wimp. 

• Haha 1