Am I Crazy for Considering Moving to Los Angeles

Ceptorman

After having lived for quite a while in So. Cal, i moved for several years to upstate New York.  I had a great time back there and had little trouble with the cold winters or the humid summers.   Though, from time to time, a song and a feeling would creep into my head.   Then I listened to good Ole Roy and came back home again. 😀 California Blue.

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

The housing cost were alarming. I found a home in Pasadena similar to mine here. It was appraised at 250k in 2010, and a yearly property tax of $3500....it was appraised at 1.2 million in 2019, and taxes were 12k. A 2200 sq ft ranch.

So make sure your salary is 5X or 6X if you come to LaLa land.

• Like 1

I've lived in La and environs for what will be 40 years in Sept. My salary is nowhere near 5 or 6 times what people make elsewhere but I've had 40 years to adjust. When I left Michigan there were NO jobs, that is why I came here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

And you know that their little lives can become such a mess....

But of course, only the contrary thinker is the indoctrinated one.

Great straw man comment. But yes when the contrarian thinks the Venezuala model which has never worked is OK he is indoctrinated. I don't understand why these guys think this time around it will work when it never has. About contrarians. Since conservatives are the real minority out there now are they A, enlightened or B, indoctrinated.

14 hours ago, Randyh said:

buy a convertible , you're in California , the air the wind -oh , I forgot and the hot-sun ,   now down here , we are in sub zero wheather as we speak -

You do realize that it is only hot in June through August in Las Vegas, right?  I had a convertible in my 20 (69 Stingray baby!) and had the top down most of the year.  

Just now, oldtimer said:

You're just lucky you were indoctrinated by good PC teachers.

Well there are those who know what works based on what societies thrived and flourished and grew throughout history and those that that failed and can tell you why. That is presenting evidence with case studies VS indoctrination which states this thing that has never been proven to work is better. One side teaches critical examination of the evidence and think for yourself and the other side teaches do not look behind the curtain and do what we tell you to do. There is a serious difference between being taught and being tricked.

and an even greater difference to being educated.  And perceiving a straw man as a response to another.  Morrison is still right---"you're all a bunch of sheep."  (that includes everyone, in case you want to take it personally, which would be a typical knee jerk reaction)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

What about your children though?  Did they take them away?

Well, actually ‘yes’ Southern California did take one of my children. You see in that arena druggies feel way too free to pursue their business because it is a light loaded ‘non-violent’ crime in the twisted minds of some. There youngsters get told that heroin is fun and those claiming it is addictive are just old farts who do not know anything. There youngsters are afforded their 1st doses for free...... y’know kinda of a ‘loss leader’ approach to the business. Soon the girls are selling themselves and the boys too. They turn to crime. 1st they steal from their families, then their friends and neighbors. Then they just steal or rob to pay for their habits. So - yeah - Mr. Braintrust...... I lost a son. Hope the same never happens to your family.

3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Well, actually ‘yes’ Southern California did take one of my children. You see in that arena druggies feel way too free to pursue their business because it is a light loaded ‘non-violent’ crime in the twisted minds of some. There youngsters get told that heroin is fun and those claiming it is addictive are just old farts who do not know anything. There youngsters are afforded their 1st doses for free...... y’know kinda of a ‘loss leader’ approach to the business. Soon the girls are selling themselves and the boys too. They turn to crime. 1st they steal from their families, then their friends and neighbors. Then they just steal or rob to pay for their habits. So - yeah - Mr. Braintrust...... I lost a son. Hope the same never happens to your family.

So the location is to blame, instead of the characters involved.  How bleeding heart liberal of you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Oh well, BigStew is from there as well and he turned out OK.  (didn't he?)

debatable. My kids turned out okay too and it's looking good for the grandkids as well.

I lived most of my life there, but I've lived in several others locations ... both major cities and small towns and I can tell you that moral decay isn't confined to the City of the Angels. 

Used condoms and syringes discarded on the sidewalks of the small and isolated towns too.

The problem is people and they're in every town that I've ever visited.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

debatable. My kids turned out okay too and it's looking good for the grandkids as well.

I lived most of my life there, but I've lived in several others locations ... both major cities and small towns and I can tell you that moral decay isn't confined to the City of the Angels. 

Used condoms and syringes discarded on the sidewalks of the small and isolated towns too.

The problem is people and they're in every town that I've ever visited.

But...but...bad PC and indoctrination, and straw models of a system that bears no resemblance to ours and never will for a multitude of reasons...I mean really!  People make their own problems?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

So the location is to blame, instead of the characters involved.  How bleeding heart liberal of you.

Just so you know my other son is an aerospace executive. The ‘character’ of my own family faced challenges. Some were won and some weren’t. I do blame drug policies that fail to protect our youth regardless of location. Is it ‘worse’ in Southern California? Absolutely!