Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

Mike Lindsey

Since getting back into vinyl over the last 6 months, I have been going thru my collection of approximately 550 albums, and trying to remember what I do and don't like. This collection was bought from the years of 1978 to 1982, during my Air Force days in Germany. Every record was bought during that timeframe, except for a few that I have purchased recently. As you can imagine, most of the music is from that timeframe as well.

As I play each record for the first time, I clean it on my Nitty Gritty Mini-Pro 2 and then place the album in a new VRP sleeve. This is how I know the record has been cleaned. After going thru and cleaning a couple hundred of my favorites, I have decided to do the rest by starting at "A" and working my way thru "Z".

Well, I had to work my way thru ABBA, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Ambrosia, Atlanta Rythym Section, the Beach Boys and the Beatles, just to name a few before I came to Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow. I had not played this album in 20 years and forgot how good it is. With the volume at 6 (1 o'clock) on the Scott (about 95 to 105db), this album was so lifelike it was eery. I have never heard drums that sounded so real in my living room before. I enjoyed it so much, I played it 3 times today, and will probably play it a couple more tomorrow.

For those of you who have never heard this album, I strongly recommend it. It is a work of art by a true musical genius imho...

Mike

the last time I heard the Jeff Beck album mentioned was in eighth grade.

What was the name of the other Jeff Beck album from around that time?

(I think it was a good one as well.)

I pondered about buying "Blow by Blow" at the music place the last time I was there.

I remembered I liked it back then, I should get it.

However, it will be CD, oh well...

Wired is fantastic. Love the Charles Mingus cover of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. I've been ranting and raving about John Fahey for months now. You guys REALLY need to check out the album titled America. GREAT guitar stuff. One of those "sounds like he's playing a few feet in front of you" albums.

Blow by Blow and Wired. the only Jeff Beck vinyl I have. I am sure it's been at least 10 years since I listened to either one. I am going to take tomorrow off from work, plan to listen to those in the morning (on the Belle's and Mcintosh gear I got a couple of weekends ago in Shreveport (thanks Bob if you read this)), and then if the day is nice go out and play a round of golf.

About the Mcintosh amp I bought, a MC250, it has some light rust on it. Can I remove this anyway, and does anyone have any suggestions?

Also as some of you may know I also picked up a Marantz 120 tuner and pair of heresey's at the same time. The tuner and case are A1 shape. The C26 has bubble around the headphone jack but otherwise great shape, the case slant leg something is in good condition, with damage to bottom and bottom right, though top, sides and most of front are in very good condition. The heresey's are very good to excellent, one has small chip and both have some degradation of the cane over the black cloth. one of the belles has some real damage to the veneer on one of the sides of the riser, though above the risers these speakers are near mint condition with AA crossovers. Everything sounds good.

I hope my wife doesn't insist I sell some of this though that may occur as my job is somwhat shaky right now. I will let you all know if I have to sell any of this.

Thanks all

Ric

Synth, I love John Fahey and a lot of his early work with Leo Kottke. Kottke was my first real guitar hero who got me to dump my flat pick and Mustang for four Nationals and a Martin. His tunings are wierd and it takes a while to get your thumb out of the usual 4/4 banging mode and into something more exotic.

My favorite Kottke albums are "Greenhouse" and "My Feet Are Smiling" ... Boy, he sure can make a guitar talk ... If you listen to "Air Proofing II" and aren't blown away then you're made of different stuff.

By the way, I have some of Kottke's interesting tunes in tablature form ... One of my favs that I still can't play is "Blue Dot" ... if you try to play it with fingerpicks, they'll go flying all over the room :)

This is a cool guitar site: http://www.guitartabs.net/

www.guitaretab.com/k/kottke-leo/9948.htm+leo+kottke+airproofing&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Chris I'll look into those 2 Kottke albums. I've been wearing out 6 & 12 String Guitar by him lately. Great stuff. I haven't touched my Les Paul or Strat in months since I've been on this kick. Right now my acoustic is tuned DADGAD, sometimes DGDGBD & sometimes DADGBflatD. Yngwie would be lost.

So nice to see that this post was somewhat inspiring. I used to own Wired as well, but can no longer find it. Just so you know, I played this album two more times today. I love side 2, especially the first two tracks (both written by Stevie Wonder). The drums on Thelonius come right thru the wall!

Mike

Hi

My favorite Kottke song is "Stealing".Can't remember which version.Sublime.

"Mona Ray"s not bad either.

First time I saw him live was at the Armadillo World Headquarters in 1972.Incredible performance,and the funniest stage bull**** you can imagine.The next week I saw a band I'd never heard of either,called "Dire Straights".I really feel sorry for college students these days.

Best,

Pat

Pat, don't feel bad ... I remember herding into "Bison Hall" at Bucknell (my alma mater) in 1973 at Christmas to hear this guy named Bruce Springsteen play an Xmas concert. Jeez, he rocked our socks off (and other stuff too). Born to Run had just been released, I think ...

Leo is one interesting cat. I find most of his stuff impossible to play but I can get through a lot of it ... esp. the interesting 12-string benders ... love his "medley" on "My Feet ..." It's basically your tuning ... dropped D ... One of my personal favs to play on a rainy day is "Last Steam Engine", or "Fisherman" which are in standard tunings ... just a little string bending on the top E.

"Busted Bicycle" is another in a dropped D tuning that is fun to wail on a 12-.

My sister has a nice small-body Martin 12 which I've been trying to con her out of for about twenty years ... My Guild 12 is nice too ... My 3-year old likes doing the "El Cabong" on it but it still has juice. My 00-18 is a nice small body with nice action that I can really hurt if the mood prevails ... just have to be in the right place ...

But dang, why didn't all these GREAT American Fingerstyle guitarists find greater fame. The stuff is just DAZZLING.