Walkman Needed

Guest BobG

Klipsch is working on a cool project in a major tourist area that will educate people on the history of audio. Not a crass commercial plug for our brand, but to support quality audio in general. For this project, we need to come up with one of the first Sony Walkmans.

Anybody out there have one they would be willing to contribute?

this info may be useful for your project

1979 Sony TPS-L2 First Personal Stereo Cassette Player

1980 Aiwa TP-S30 First Personal Stereo Cassette Recorder

1981 Sony WM-2 Second Sony Walkman; Compact All-Metal Chassis

1981 Infinity Intimate First Personal Stereo w/ Dolby NR; Audio Company's only walkman

1981 Akai PM-01 Akai's First; $190 1981 List Price; FM Tuner Pack

1981 Sanyo M5550 Slim All-Metal Chassis; Music Search; Pitch Control

1981 Toshiba KT-S2 Toshiba's First Personal Stereo; FM & AM Tuner Packs

1981 Aiwa CS-J1 Stereo Cassette Recorder w/ Built-In FM Tuner

1981 Koss Music Box AM/FM Stereo; Featured dB Level Warning Circuit

1981 Sony TCS-300 Sony's First Personal Stereo Cassette Recorder

1982 Olympus SR11 Personal Micro-Cassette Stereo w/ AM/FM/Line-In Audio

1982 Sony WM-R2 Compact All-Metal Stereo Cassette Recorder

1982 Sony WM-3 Sony's Third Walkman; Similar Design to the TPS-L2

1982 Proton 100 Only Personal Stereo by Proton; FM Stereo Only; $120 Original List Price

1982 JVC CQ-F22K FM Cassette That Separated to Two Pieces; Dolby; Anti-Rolling; Antenna

1982 Sony WM-F5 Sony's First Sports Model

1982 Sony WM-F2 Slim FM Cassette Recorder

1983 Sony WM-10 Smallest Cassette Player to Date; All Metal Chassis

1983 Sony SR-A1 First AM Stereo Walkman

Rats!

I shoulda bought that little D-5 Sony Discman from the Base thrift store when I had the chance.

It was only 5 bucks, and looked like new.

I think the manufacture date was '85, I think.

It did not have a bottom nicad battery like a '86 I had, or any provisions for AA batteries, just a AC adapter.

(In fact, A buddy of mine may still have my old '86 D-2.)

The one portable Sony CDP that I really wanted in the late eighties was the D-555. It was nice!

What is the manufacter date on the D-5a unit you have, Lynn?

I knew that damn D-5 was vintage portable CDP!

What was the year the first portable walkman tape players came out, anyway?

Well,

If you could walk around with Klipschorns, on a cable for headphones, ill donate my horns, show the people what true quality sound is all about!

But id have to see you do this first LOL! 334 Lb headset!

Speaking of this,

Bob,

If Klipsch made headphones, i guarantee everyone here would buy them, im one of them!

If not micro horns, at least klipsch sound!

Regards Jim

9.gif

----------------

On 11/21/2002 2:48:37 AM Jim Cornell wrote:

Bob,

If Klipsch made headphones, i guarantee everyone here would buy them, im one of them!

If not micro horns, at least klipsch sound!

Regards Jim

9.gif
----------------

Sennheiser Headphones I found to have the closest thing to "Klipsch Sound"

Thanks everybody for the quick responses and the generosity. What this project needs is a Sony WM-2 Walkman or something very close to that. The first or second generation walkman by Sony. No doubt it's a collectable so anybody willing to provide one would be compensated (no, we cannot swap for a pair of Klipschorns lol). It would not have to be in working order as this will be a static display. No real chance of returning the unit to the benefactor.

I remember getting a cardboard mockup of the D-5 Discman in about 1984 or '85. Product was not yet available in the US but Sony sent these to their dealers to promote demand. A friend went to Japan and brought one back before they were released in the US market. It was incredible! A motor to spin the disk, a laser, ("Laser") D2A convertor, headphone amplifier, preamp outputs, a rechargable battery and charger; all in one tiny package. I told people that it was a miracle of technology. That and all the other products we take for granted are pretty amazing.

Thanks for the help.

Walkman II, 1981, showroom display condition.

It was playing with batteries in it about ten minutes ago then stopped and never restarted . The battery displays power.Maybe needs a capstan motor.Missing inside battery cover but the printing and finish look brand new. LOL.I used it laying on my back in the hospital for five months over 20 years ago. It's like me. An antique but in beautiful shape.2.gif

I am originally from Bulgaria, moved to the US in 1995. Back in 1983, I was 13 then, we were under comunist regime and did not have any Western goods, all were either locally made or imported from the comunist countries, mainly Russia. There was an exception though, we had special shops (called KOREKOM) where you could buy all the Western goodies, providing you have hard currency (USD, DEM) and you had proof that you have acquired the currency legally. Tough eh? But I was lucky, my parents used to work abroad, and they had USD and authorization, so I could buy stuff from these shops. I was one of the first to have a Sony Walkman. Boy, was that walkman good and expensive! I remember paying something like $300 USD back then in Bulgaria, and it was awfully good, I still remember the endless hours of joy it gave me, and that second headphones out got very often used by girlfriedns. I even used it for parties with home made amplifiers by my father. With time, it developed a hum, and then later the motor died, I loved it so much. I do not remember the model number though. I checked out the images on the link provided http://pocketcalculatorshow.com/walkman/museum.html and guess what it turns out I had a WM-1!!! I just called my brother back in Bulgaria to ask him if he could find the Walkman, but no luck, he hasn't seen it anywhere. D-a-m-n, I probably threw it away when it stopped working! If I had it, I would have gladly asked my brother to mail it and I would give to Klipsch - can't imagine a better use of my then-precious toy.

post-9974-13819245686136_thumb.jpg

Thank you everbody for your willingness to contribute and your direction to what we were seeking. We have purchased an early walkman from one of the links above. I appreciate your help very much.

We'll be posting a press release very soon about the whole project.1.gif