URGENT - Electrovoice "The Empire"

dougdrake

Hi Gang - I tripped across a pair of EV "The Empire" speakers at a garage sale this morning. They want $25 for the pair. I haven't bought them yet, 'cause even though the money is nothing, I don't really have room for them unless they are something special. I don't know anything about EV speakers...

These are roughly 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide, about 2 to 2 1/2 feet tall and about 18" deep (I'm really bad with estimating sizes). The rear corners are angled at 45 degrees as though to make them easier to fit into the corner of a room. They have what appears to be a 12" woofer flanked by a horn mid and tweeter. There is a "Brilliance" knob on the left side panel. The cabinet finish would need to be redone.

Did I find something noteworthy? If anyone has any urgent input for me while I am still out, call me at 1-888-467-0464 and take the option to Find Him.

Thanks!

(Dupe posting in General Section)

Grab em up, gut em for parts, send those raggedy parts to me, and you will have some nice "conversion piece" corner tables for your home. Hell, I won't even leave you stuck with the shipping costs for those raggedy old worthless drivers and horn lenses...after all...what are friends for?

I'm sure I should be flogged for this, but they slipped away. From the time I saw them, posted the query, and went back, someone with more experience in these matters took them. It wasn't the $25 that held me back from buying right away -- that's a joke, I'm sure -- it's just that they are larger than I would have room for, and it seemed a shame to part out something like that. At a different time, when I have time to play around with this kind of stuff, it'd have been a done deal.

So, thanks for all your feedback and calls. It was great to speak with a few folks who, up until now, were just so many pixels on a screen. Now I can "hear" you when I read your posts!

Doug (the deal misser) Drake

Damn !!

One of the other two known pair of those went for 15K last month on Audiogon. These have to be the missing third pair as only 2 of the 3 pair shipped by EV have ever been located. It has always been assumed that the owner of Libido Audio - Wild Bill Woodhouse , who had been sold all three sets but claimed to have received only 2 might have diverted pair #3 to a friend or perhaps that the third pair had in fact "Fallen Off The Back of The Truck" and been bootlegged.

I will delve further into this with a designer of my acquaintance who was part of the development team for that model.

Edit:

I have been in touch with Lotta Hooey and she tells me that:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>