Stereophile's top 100 components of all time

Colin

Kinney-

Get ahold of Shure and tell them you want to partake in the "Stylus Exchange" program. I did this last year and they only cost me $20-$22 EACH!!! Rather than the ~$90 or whatever they go for. I can't remember the lady's name to ask for but I think it's Helen. A real grandmotherly type lady.

The only thing is you have to send them the old stylus (small price to pay for a great deal).

Those fing b@stards!!! No JBL, Klipsch, etc. or anything that MADE AMERICAN MUSIC FOR THE LAST 50 YEARS!!! If JBL and Klipsch were a race of people, they would file a class action lawsuit against Stereophile for racism!!! 9.gif

Wow, I am glad I don't buy those magizines, hopefully they will fold eventually 2.gif

Actually, the large majority of the list is American designed/made equipment despite the fact that the editor is a Brit (who picked the Linn Sondek as #1). My one piece is the Adcom 535 amp - the pick was the 545 but admits the 535 probably sounded better. The "high-end" mags have almost always ignored horn speakers (unless they cost $70K or more), so we at this forum can only smirk at their not knowing.

I finished reading the top 100 listing last nite. Found it an interesting read, but the ratings don't mean much to me - I may be a subscriber but I ain't no audiophile!

My $30.00 - 3 year subscription runs out next May, and that'll probably be the end of it for me. I did end up purchasing 2 items reviewed in that rag, a Marantz CD-63 MK2 in November 95, and a Music Hall MMF-2 turntable in July 98.

Don't really need a magazine subscription with the internet and a good public library. ( I'm a REAL cheapskate!).

Speaking of cheap, our last remaining record shop is going out of business (again) this weekend with their 10 cent LP's. I was there 2 weeks ago and could only find $12 worth at their dollar sale. Half of what I bought went to Good Will already - there isn't much out there in rock-n-roll that I haven't tasted yet - and a lot of it ain't pretty!

NP Alien Ant Farm - ANThology (from the Library of course!)

I like getting Stereophool, but they really are kinda irrelavent to me, as far as the gear they choose to review. I read it mainly for the "Industry Update" feature, the music reviews, and the occasional affordable product (about 1 in 10). Oh well, being honest, I do enjoy some of the high-dollar amp and speaker reviews, but those thousand dollar cables and phono cartridges - PLEASE!

I don't know why their can't be ONE mag for "real world audiophiles". A mag that is about music and affordable gear.

Big surprise that there is no Klipsch on the list (yeah, right)! I guess the more things change, the more things stay the same.

I do have a component on the list - the Digital Audio Labs soundcard, and they are not joking about it's quality. When released, it was compared favorably to the Mark Levinson DAC's - it is truly an audio component for your computer.

I also took quite a bit of interest in some of the "lesser" components on the list. The Adcom GFA555, for example, is still a steal used, if in good and not abused condition. These are much better (IMO) than the newer 5500 (and other 4 digit model# amps from Adcom). These amps really did start a revolution in solid state amplification by giving a high power, good sounding unit to the masses at a good price. If I ever find a pair of GFA565 monoblocks at the right price (300w@8 per block), I may get them for my subs.

And of course the venerable Nakamichi Dragon - well deserving of it's place on such a list. Truly one of the all time greats.

I can't believe I actually own some of this stuff. Not the higher priced articles though. I still have a Dynaco ST-70 (still awaiting a rebuild), and the Sennheiser HD-414 headphones. I still have three pair of those. I got them after doing studio work in the '60s, and loved them. The drivers on at least one pair are blown, but I can't seem to part with them.

The DAL audio card is very good, although M-Audio gear is way cheaper and the converters are probably as good sounding. My daughter is still getting to use a Nagra at school as she does soundtracks for film class. I'm starting to feel old now. The Revox machines were to die for when I was getting into recording.

Marvel