Closure of Theater Chains...

Chris A

28 minutes ago, Max2 said:

According to Google, in 2017 the Movie Theater numbers were equal to 1992. Fast forward to where we are today, the streaming services have been on track to wipe them out, its just that the virus is going to make it happen quicker.  I dont care about going to a theater, quite frankly, I think the majority of films these days suck.  Convenience, affordability and the safety of your home and workspace is ruling all aspects of life for most people IMO.

Yep. This reminds me of a discussion we had almost 15 years ago.

On 10/16/2005 at 10:38 AM, Zen Traveler said:

...I agree with most of what has been said here, but I am not holding my breath for the time HD "disks" become available and catch on. I wouldn't be surprised within the next 2 to 5 years HD media will be ala cart, through cable, phone and satellite. Folks will be allowed (for a fee) to copy this material on a DVR device. That's my 2 cents.[;)]

6 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Not sure why he's back after being banned, but he is trolling, just like he always did. 

I was never Banned but thanks.

Who wants to sit in a Movie Theater

with people who might have this virus

while they're wearing a Non Medical mask?

Most people wearing a mask is wearing a Non Medical piece of paper

that does nothing to stop the transmission of anything.

16 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Interestingly, thing that I've found is that it is actually the other way around: the sound system is the thing that makes the movie, given good enough resolution and size of the screen for the listening/viewing room.  When most people finally do hear a good sound system with a HT, it completely transforms the experience...

I totally agree with you here, but the vast market share will be happier with less and forgo the sacrifices,experimentation and costs involved. 

3 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I wonder how going from the  competitive marketplace to community centers would impact the industry?

How do young adults/kids socialize (in person) to offset the huge shift toward physical isolation we're experiencing?  I'm certainly no expert, but I would guess the current situation (subject to change) is going to have a fairly strong effect on communities--and not entirely for the better. 

The idea is to provide neighborhood screenings with good sound and reasonable screen resolution/quality (to replace losing the big screens) to attract the kids to a venue where they can have fun but are somewhat protected by on-site personnel to help keep them out of the ditch, so to speak.  It's probably better than the street.  It looks to me like the current state is going to become a real problem--sort of like the same problem in the book Freakonomics, part of which sought to quantify the causality of Roe v. Wade with lowering the crime rates 20 years later. 

Chris

Before all the pandemic fun we almost always went to small theaters that played second runs and classics. I think The Thing with Kurt Russell was the last one we saw. The experience is 10x better- great movies, great beer, really cool historic theaters. Coupled with the great shows the streaming networks are putting out there isn't much that gets me excited about big theater chains.

I could see their footprint shrinking significantly and playing more of the big franchises that generate international revenue like star wars, marvel, transformers.

5 minutes ago, Chris A said:

How do young adults/kids socialize (in person) to offset the huge shift toward physical isolation we're experiencing?

They'd rather communicate via text than actually be face to face with someone.  That would involve actual conversation.

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

They'd rather communicate via text than actually be face to face with someone.  That would involve actual conversation.

That's an assertion--that I'm not sure I agree with now given the current enhanced state of social isolation, which is unprecedented.  I don't believe more "social networking" screen time is going to fix the problems that we're likely going to see. (Shall I enumerate them?)

Chris

The issue I speak of is not really found at the mid-point of the social spectrum. Rather it's the ones that are on the edge of the spectrum (like most or all of the community outreach activities that municipalities currently provide) that are the issue.  Those that currently experience social isolation don't need more of it than they've already experienced before March. That's always the issue. 

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

Interestingly, thing that I've found is that it is actually the other way around: the sound system is the thing that makes the movie, given good enough resolution and size of the screen for the listening/viewing room.  When most people finally do hear a good sound system with a HT, it completely transforms the experience.  Just remember going to a drive-in movie using those terrible old mono in-car speakers.  The difference is like that between the living and the dead as compared to big screen walk-in theaters.

Agreed. I have said for years that it is easier to get into a movie viewed on a small screen with excellent sound than a large screen using the small speakers that came with the the TV.  I want a full, realistic sound, not very loud. 

Something I wish the movie makers would do is level the sounds. Quiet communication followed by blaring car chases, or v v is aggravating, to me. 

• Like 1

Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference--especially to teenagers and young adults, such as going to a movie with friends from time to time. 

There's something called "New Day" that's 20-25 years old now, that was started by a lady that was once in our congregation. As a teenager (much less than 18) she was forced to live on the street even though her home was well above the poverty line--and no one apparently knew at the time...or later.  As a mother and wife with a career, she later suffered a break, lost her family/friends and eventually rebuilt. She later started the program.

The current number of kids the program supports (>900 now) is almost unbelievable, and the program is now spread across a handful of small congregations that provide storage and distribution of the meals to the kids via school councilors. These kids that are the beneficiaries experience more than normal levels of social isolation. All of them fall through the cracks.  I think about this quite a bit  as I think about our new "social isolation".

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

That's an assertion--that I'm not sure I agree with now given the current enhanced state of social isolation, which is unprecedented.  I don't believe more "social networking" screen time is going to fix the problems that we're likely going to see. (Shall I enumerate them?)

Fwiw, I don't agree with the assertion nor do I think texting has anything to do with lack of conversation. I gotta admit I'm not a big texter but expressing our thoughts in writing is something quite a few of us have done here over the last few years and decades from the vantage point of our keyboard and screen--I imagine it's the same with phones and texting.

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

The issue I speak of is not really found at the mid-point of the social spectrum. Rather it's the ones that are on the edge of the spectrum (like most or all of the community outreach activities that municipalities currently provide) that are the issue.  Those that currently experience social isolation don't need more of it than they've already experienced before March. That's always the issue. 

Well... I dunno how watching a movie in a rec center would actually be a benefit of what you're trying to accomplish with it...Again. I'm not opposed but don't think it would help.

2 hours ago, rebuy said:

I was never Banned but thanks.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

He was not referring to you, or at least that's how I read it.

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

No. He was probably talking about me.

Yeah, Zen, I heard you were on vacation from here, then I saw you were back with a different name.

2 hours ago, rebuy said:

Who wants to sit in a Movie Theater

with people who might have this virus

while they're wearing a Non Medical mask?

Mask or no mask, I'm not going to the movies. I am more like Dave A in that I like my cooking and movies at my house than out somewhere. 

• Like 1