Closure of Theater Chains...

Chris A

3 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Yeah, Zen, I heard you were on vacation from here, then I saw you were back with a different name.

Nothing nefarious and I definitely wasn't "trolling."  Various times over 6 months i tried to get my password sent to me with no avail so I logged in explaining the situation with a similar name. Anyway, I've been a member here for over 20 years and missed talking about Home Theater.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

"Kids" 30 and under (actually probably 35 and under) are averse to even talking on the phone.  They'd rather text than call or talk face to face.  I see it constantly.

Sure, but it doesn't mean they aren't having a conversation. After all, you and I have never met in person yet we've chatted alot over the years.

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

How do young adults/kids socialize (in person) to offset the huge shift toward physical isolation we're experiencing?  I'm certainly no expert, but I would guess the current situation (subject to change) is going to have a fairly strong effect on communities--and not entirely for the better.

6 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Sure, but it doesn't mean they aren't having a conversation. After all, you and I have never met in person yet we've chatted alot over the years.

Granted, but I thought Chris was talking about isolation and no person to person contact.  Personally I don't think it will have much of an effect on those 30 and younger.  My point was that they're not big on person to person communication anyways.

19 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Mask or no mask, I'm not going to the movies. I am more like Dave A in that I like my cooking and movies at my house than out somewhere. 

Agreed, but I felt this way before Coronavirus. 

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Personally I don't think it will have much of an effect on those 30 and younger.  My point was that they're not big on person to person communication anyways.

Just to clarify, we are talking about HT investment and/or commercial Theater closing ramifications, right? Insofar as the  ongoing Coronavirus epidemic we've been going through, I definitely think it's going to have an impact on school age kids and younger adults and some definitely will have isolation issues.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Granted, but I thought Chris was talking about isolation and no person to person contact.  Personally I don't think it will have much of an effect on those 30 and younger.  My point was that they're not big on person to person communication anyways.

Sounds like your customers (or children) are beginning to grate on your nerves. 

Chris

27 minutes ago, Max2 said:

I remember when texting someone was an insult....

My grandad on my Mom's side is deeply offended by any communication other than hand written letters or phone calls. We don't communicate much.

My grandmother on my Dad's side texts with me regularly and loves the quick messages throughout the week, the ability to see pictures of the farm and family, even short videos.

And they're of the same generation with pretty much the same number of grandkids each, all from my generation.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

My grandad on my Mom's side is deeply offended by any communication other than hand written letters or phone calls. We don't communicate much.

Why not call her?  I'll bet she would enjoy hearing from you.

• Like 1

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Why not call her?  I'll bet she would enjoy hearing from you.

I did, when I could. But that was never frequent enough and it got real tiresome having to wade through 20 minutes of guilt trip each time.  Throw in a young family, farm, full time job, and a two hour time difference and it's just grown easier to find excuses not to. That's on me I guess.

But it's not like the dude is blowing up my voice mail box either.

If anyone needs to go out and see a movie away from home I would invite you over to my place. There are 2 theater spaces to view movies in. 2.35 aspect and 16:9. Your choice. 5.4.2 Atmos in both. Here there are over 1000 movies on 4K disk or blu-ray. Many of which you will never find on the likes af Netflix. Hundreds of recent physical disk purchases means that I am still uploading them onto the server for easy playback on Plex. Way better audio and video than you would otherwise get streaming, plus I own these forever, not renting. The popcorn is always fresh and hot, beverages are cold, assortments of candy are available too. Movie times are as needed, tickets cost zero, best seats are always open. My wife says, if you are really hungry the kitchen is open, and if you call ahead the desert will be freshly baked.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

If anyone needs to go out and see a movie away from home I would invite you over to my place. There are 2 theater spaces to view movies in. 2.35 aspect and 16:9. Your choice. 5.4.2 Atmos in both. Here there are over 1000 movies on 4K disk or blu-ray. Many of which you will never find on the likes af Netflix. Hundreds of recent physical disk purchases means that I am still uploading them onto the server for easy playback on Plex. Way better audio and video than you would otherwise get streaming, plus I own these forever, not renting. The popcorn is always fresh and hot, beverages are cold, assortments of candy are available too. Movie times are as needed, tickets cost zero, best seats are always open. My wife says, if you are really hungry the kitchen is open, and if you call ahead the desert will be freshly baked.

I will take you up on that offer , if I ever pass by Falls River ,  and I am sure , it would be a good  time with very nice  folks

• Like 1