This years Deer Hunt.

j-malotky

OK First off this isnt about music or speakers, like a lot of stuff in the General area, but since a lot of you share the same other interests as me, I thought I would share this story Also if any of you are offended by guns or deer hunting, just leave. I do not mean to turn this into another political thread.

So this last Saturday was opening morning of Gun deer season in Wisconsin.

This year is the first year I shot a deer with my new gun. It is a 12 GA Remington 870 with a fully riffled slug barrel. It uses a copper sabot slug, which basically is a hollow point with perforated sides that open up to something like a 1 1/2 inch diameter when entering the animal. Ive always wanted a slug barrel, hearing people talk about always dropping deer, less tracking, giving the animal a quicker death. Also the shorter 19 barrel makes it easier to get through the woods and scruff.

Hunting in Wisconsin starts ½ before sunrise, just as it starts to get light in the woods. This year I get lucky, A nice 1 ½ year old buck comes through my part of the woods 15 min before sunrise. My shot is good, about 60 yards, he is not broadside, but not straight on to me. I aim for his chest in between this front two legs and pull the trigger. BOOM. That 12 GA launching that huge hollow point gives a kick. I know instantly I hit the deer. He does a back flip as the slug hits him. No kidding - I see all 4 hoofs in the air and he tumbles. He get back on his feet for his remaining few seconds of life and drops 10 feet from where I shot him. The exact reason I got this gun.

I go over to examine my kill. The slug went in exactly where I aimed. The exit wound was a 2 to 2 1/2 inch hole on his right side, smack dab in the middle of his rib cage. Took out at least 3 ribs. The slug flew straight and opened up just like it is suppose to. I am impressed. So much better than the old 12 GA lead slugs I was using. The wound is so much bigger than 30 cal riffles. Remember - This is basically a 12 GA riffle.

These new slug barrels and sabot slugs are great. If youre a deer hunter, and hunt in the woods where visibility is limited, take a look at using one. Very effective.

JM

The sabot rounds are wicked, no doubt about that.

Nice shot. It's tough getting one of those with the animal straight on like that. There isn't much room for error.

Did you know Germany petitioned at a Geneva Convention to mandate the U.S. quit using shotguns in the trenches. The Germans said the weapon was insidious, and that their doctors could not treat the wounds.

The Los Angelos Police Department has a display set up consisting of kevlar vests. Each vest has been shot at with a different caliber, starting with the .22. There is no penetration until the .44 magnum. The 2nd to the last vest is from a 12 gauge shotgun using a slug. There is complete penetration, and the vest is peeled back like an orange. The last vest is from a crossbow, and the arrow went through like butter.

A little bit of shotgun trivia from the resident gun nut.

Thanks Dean.

I always try to get a heart/lung shot, trying my hardest not to get into the shoulders because we butcher the meat ourselves after the hunt, or the gut for obvious reasons!!!! This shot was a perfect heart shot. The heart looked like a butterfly steak. It was only held together by 1/2 inch at the top.

I was lucky it was early morning and a shot had not been fired in my woods yet and he was wandering around with no idea it was gun season.

I already had one meal from the hunt. Since he was only 1 1/2 he was very tender and Yummy. For example, his strongest / toughest leg meat was about the consistancy of a tenderloin at the supermarket.

JM

DEER !!!!! What fun is deer hunting ?? lol

I'm a nothern boy, here we hunt moose and elk to eat and "bear" for recreation. I don't leave the house without my 300 weatherbee or 7mm mag. Deer up here are like fly's. If your right into hunting i'll e-mail you tons of moose and elk shots. Racks more than 5 feet across. You'll just have to excuse me posing beside them .

nothing gets your heart pounding like calling out a 800 to 1000 lb bull first thing in the morning ( better than coffee). then watch him swinging his head around and snorting as he looks for his mate.

----------------

On 11/28/2002 4:58:19 AM djk wrote:

There are more people killed in encounters with rats-with-antlers than are killed by bears, sharks, and snakes combined.

As far as I am concerned there should be a machine gun and hand grenade season too!

----------------

Oh GOD. I could just imagine giving some of my cousins gernades.... Its bad enought when they have a riffle somtimes....

Last year in Wisconsin there were over 25000 car / deer accidents that I think killed I think something like 300 people. So I would bet your first statement is true, plus all the property damage they do to cars and farmers.

Dale - Ive been bear, elk, and moose bow hunting in Canada. It is fun. I find Moose and Elk are too easy to kill. What I love and am amazed at with White tails is that evan after they are shot, they run and hide from you.

Say you get a heart shot, they can live 15 seconds or so, I have had them run 70 - 100 yards through the swamp without a heart. It amazes me how they can spend that kind of energy after such a mortal wound.

They can live 1-2 hours after a lung shot, 6 hours after a liver or gut shot. Your talking a good day of tracking there.

JM

JM: ya i know there fun to hunt, i was just pulling your leg. I hunt for white tail and mule deer to make sausage from for the christmas holidays. I use a 1964 lever action 308 savage with 160 grain boat tails ( load my own) . this gun has sentamental value as it was built the year i was born.Still in perfect condition.

The olny reason i love moose hunting so much, is after you get good at calling , it becomes a game. Sometimes i'll cow call a bull out and he's to big to shoot for the meat. So i play with him for awhile and get him really pissed off. When they get close enough, i put my horn down and call with my hands till i can see them. If there to big then i give them a bull grunt, they think there is another bull in there area thats going to challange for mating rights. Boy this really pisses them off, they start pawing the ground, swinging there heads and charging at nothing. 4 years ago i had one charge me and no option but to drop him , made a lot of sausage that year. ( was a 20 yard shot with a 300 )

Next fall i'm going to the mountians to hunt big horn sheep, now this is fun . Most of your shots are 200 yards or better.

I got the same gun as you JM. Unfortunately this is the first year I had to miss good ole Wisconsin deer hunting. My professors decided to give me a test Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday before Thanksgiving. So I had to stay at school to study. Sucked, I really needed to get away from the library and desk and just walk in the woods. Anyways this year I got home wednesday night and my family and hunting group was cutting up the deer. It was kinda weird this year cause we left the heads on them and tried to make the lese amound of cuts possible with CWD and all.

Zandern

To bad you had to miss this years hunt. I did not hunt my college years either. Was working 2-3 jobs just to make it.

The DNR published a nice pamphlet on how to avoid all the Lymph nodes. I looked at it and realized we were pretty safe since we fillet all the meat off the bones, separating the fat from the lean, we also do not saw the spine etc.

I am not afraid of CWD at all. With all the deer in my neighborhood, I have a better chance dieing crashing my car or motercycle into a 250lbs buck or falling out of my tree stand than eating CWD.

My registration station was collecting heads for CWD testing. they only collected from 10AM till 8pm. Since I shot mine at 6:45, I was at the station 8:00 AM. Too early for testing. I would have submitted it if I would have been there later to hopefully get generate data showing less CWD in the state.

JM

I tweaked my back really good about a month ago.

Was hit by a 12 ton truck about 14 years ago and when I throw my back out it precludes me from draggin deer.

I hunt a couple different spots in "mid Michigan" between Grand Rapids and Grayling.

The back is a bout 70 % healed. I will try muzzle loader for the first time in a week or 2.

Growing up near the city of Detroit as a city boy my Dad tried to instill an apreciation of the harvest and a proficiency with firearms.

A big part of my life.

1. God

2. Family

3. Job

4. Hunting

5. Music

Hunting and music are kind of a tie, depending.

No closed season on music.

Music is not apropriate outside when it is 15 F.

j-m

Congrats on the 70 caliber carbine hunt. I'm living vicariously through my wife at the moment as she is on a whitetail/boar hunt in PA. She has my Rem M700 in .308 using my handloads of a 150gr Swift Scirroco over 49.5gr of Win 760. She called last night and said she will be bringing home the bacon for sure, with today and tomorrow for deer hunt. Said my loads dropped her boar where it stood; the only one from her hunting party to do that, so it attests to her skill and my loading.

I miss elk hunting myself, but since CWD has hit CO so bad, I haven't been back there in a while. Someday... Hopefully she will have pics to show everything off. Her guide has said he has seen 10-12pt bucks in the area. Damn, wonder if my wife will beat me in finding a nice pair of antlers to put over the mantle?

jhalk

Your wife hunts. Thats pretty neat. I could never see my wife getting in a tree stand an hour before sunrise. At least my wife loves my Hi-Fi equipment and computers.

My father in law handloads his shells and swears by it.

Personally, I love bowhunting the most. So peacefull in the woods and full fall color.

Maybe a bunch of us should get together for a hunt?

JM

Flynn

Sorry to hear about your back. Hope it is healing well.

You hunt in Ted Nugent land... Kill em and Grill em as Ted would say.1.gif

Ive had 4 meals off my young buck I got this year. He sure is yummy and tender. He definetly was corn fed. Feels good to have a freezer full of meat all for the price of a $20 hunting license, a $2 slug and a 1/4 tank of gas.

JM

I hear "BOSE " season is year round and you can shoot them with your weapon of choice.

personaly i'd use the old grain truck to run them down,there hardly worth wasting a shell on.

I've heard they like to hide indoors and are mostly found cuddling up to uneducated consumers.2.gif

JM-

Yep, this was her first hunting experience, so it was probably best that she was on a women-only hunt. Got the word last night that she tagged a 7-pt buck, probably 2 or 2 1/2 yrs old, so he should be good eatin' as well. The trusty 700 did it's job as she put a sweet shot through the lungs. Meat will be ready next weekend. Guess it's pork sausage for breakfast and venison for Xmas dinner now!

A hunt would be cool, but it looks like we are all in different seasons; bow, shotgun, and centerfire. Wonder if we move the visit to Indy into the late fall, we could combine trips?? 9.gif