Thinkin' of adding Tubes

rebuy

A hybrid solution is a good idea, cause you´ve got the precision from the transisitor pre amp stage and the power amp tube stage. That´s in general is a fine combination, as I´m using my Marantz PM11-S3 and two Cayin Monotube Amplifiere on my RF7 MK II SE in the same combination. Soundwise it´s some steps ahead. Klipsch Speakers loved to be fired with an tube amplifier. So I ´ll recommend doing it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rebuy said:

I have my Marantz and RF 82II's

It sounds OK for Music but not where I desire.

I'm thinking of adding a Primaluna Dialogue Power Amp

Is this going to sound good through the Marantz?

I need your Expert Opinion.

I’m an expert on my opinion only, but in my experience I was not happy with a solid state pre and tube amp. I have a pair of Eico and Mac mono blocks and I thought they sounded just ok with my solid state pre’s, more “accurate” or “dry” than I prefer. Once I got my mx110z I was like whoa!! that’s the sound I’m looking for. Warm and engaging. Now, I don’t listen to things at ear bleeding volumes and all my speakers are vintage so I can’t speak to the sound thru more modern speakers. My first venture into tubes were all vintage el84 integrated amps and are still some of my favorite sounding amps where big power isn’t needed. Again that’s just been my experience. 

7 hours ago, rebuy said:

I have my Marantz and RF 82II's

It sounds OK for Music but not where I desire.

I'm thinking of adding a Primaluna Dialogue Power Amp

Is this going to sound good through the Marantz?

I need your Expert Opinion.

What is your goal if switching to tubes?  What kind of sound are you looking for?  The RF-82s do extremely well in an all tube system.

Maynard

22 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

I’m an expert on my opinion only, but in my experience I was not happy with a solid state pre and tube amp. I have a pair of Eico and Mac mono blocks and I thought they sounded just ok with my solid state pre’s, more “accurate” or “dry” then I prefer. Once I got my mx110z I was like whoa!! that’s the sound I’m looking for. Warm and engaging. Now, I don’t listen to things at ear bleeding volumes and all my speakers are vintage so I can’t speak to the sound thru more modern speakers. My first venture into tubes were all vintage el84 integrated amps and are still some of my favorite sounding amps where big power isn’t needed. Again that’s just been my experience. 

A lot can depend on how much 2nd harmonic fits your taste in music. In my experience with tube pres is they all have a slight or more of 2nd harmonic. Add that to the 2nd harmonic of the tube amplifier and you naturally have more 2nd harmonic. Depending on mood I like more 2nd harmonic but to the opposite mood I like a SS buffer or pre with one of my tube amplifiers. Music taste also comes into the mix. There is no right or wrong way, just what you like. Nice to have both SS and tube to control volume. Best of both worlds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Nice to have both SS and tube to control volume. Best of both worlds. 

That´s exacly mirrors my own experience on modern Klipsch Speakers. 

Furthermore the german AUDIO magazine has certified the Klipsch RF-82 II floorstander as one of the few of its kind that works well with tube amps. This is due to the very good efficiency of this speaker, which also helps the less powerful tubes to achieve an appropriate presence. Thus the Klipsch in the studio of "AUDIO" showed a dynamic that one would not have expected from subtle tubes. Since the price of the speaker is within the range, it deserves the title "Outstanding price/performance".