Are Break-in CD's any good?

tester

I read some article talking about break-in cd's, and how it helps to significantly reduce your break time. Anybody know if break-in cd's are effective? It's suppose to playback some carefully crafted sound which reduces time in break-in periods. Any recomended products?

Since speakers don't break in and there's no logic behind the break in hypothesis, the break in CDs you asked about cannot be effective.

You often need to "break in" your ears by learning to accept the sound of your new speakers. For that I recommend any CD that you enjoy.

Or Not, it's your money. Believe and spend as you see fit.

What are you taling about?

"Since speakers don't break in and there's no logic behind the break in hypothesis"

Suspension of domes,cones does break in with use,dont tell me this has no effect on sound.Maybe not to you,it can be heard.And it is not the placebo effect,using better power cords,fancy CD demagnetisers or voodoo magic on CD is all placebo.Speaker break in is real.

You dont agree,its your opinion.

I am with TheEar on this one. Compliance of suspension components, like the surround and sider, can change during the first few/several hours of operation. How much they do this is going to depend on how they are constructed. Coated fabric surrounds and fabric spiders will definitely loosen up. Those made of other materials, like butyl surrounds, may not change enough to make a difference.

None of this means you will get better sound by "breaking in" a speaker. You may be able to get it to a steady state faster. But it will sound the same as if you got it there by just listening to it.

Ear, Malcolm,

Please provide provide test data to support your contention. I allowed the suspension of woofers could soften with movement like a pair of shoes until confronted with test data before and after a period of operation. I don't anymore.

I don't think research data is needed here . I believe a little common sense will do just fine.

If you have any intrest in looking after your investment then i would suggest going a little easy from the start.

I don't believe that you need to spend money on a break in CD per say . Just play a few of your own and take up the volume as you see fit.

one fact to keep in mind though is mostly all speakers are tested long before you buy them.

I'm with john on this one , i don't believe they need to be baby'd but i also wouldnt chuck full juice at them right off the bat.

Hello all,

I'm not so sure about suspension break in, anymore.

Not enough viable scientific evidence to support those theories.

But, I still fall prey to my other superstitions.

When I get new speakers or cable, I usaually run an off channel FM signal at minimal volume and steadily incease it over a 24hr period.

I even do this with cable and gear that hasn't been in use for more than a month.

IMHO. I'm coming to belive it's all about the cables.

Both in and outside of any piece of equipment.

This is my belief, today, until science proves otherwise.

As with other aspects, burn in time is an intrinsic part of this hobby for me.

The total anticipation coupled with a feeling of confidence that I'm putting whatever it is into service with the utmost care and consideration.

I really enjoy it.

I'm sure i'll never stop burning in gear.

Old habits die hard, after all.

Although,

Being that much of this is still theory, I'm still keeping an open mind to proof positive either way.

I would really like to know the scientific reality of these things.

Heck, they thought the world was flat up until a few hundred years ago.

Anything is possible.

Just give it time.

Anyone have to break in thier wife LOL

Id better stop LOL

A JOKE

The only realistic breakin factor trully is the demo room and your house!

Altough i would be easy on the coils, and the new, for sure! But im not sure if the nylon surrounds like the older heritage really needed a breakin! Maybe a coil warmup, i wouldnt just start and imediately drive a car in the winter!

So in editing this reply, id say, a cautious, power usage would be recommended for at least a week! Then of coarse, never abuse or overpower anything!

You would almost like to say, can i take these $1,000.00 speakers home set them up, then ill let you know if we want them?

Be cautious, since the SUB trend, there always likely have a sub thats on, or even hidden in the demo rooms!

Regards Jim

PS and by the way i did have to break my wife into Klipsch, but it wasnt hard LOL

9.gif

Malcolm,

Now we will hear speakers sound exactly the same out of the box as they do with 100,1000 or even 10000 hours of use! LOL

This is hilarious

IMO break in of speakers does change the sound,its may not be drastic but its there.

And what is next all solid state amps sound the same. NOT

Jeff

It started with the holloween pictures, then me and the wife, also some one else here kinda gave me the idea LOL!

Its cute having our kids along with our hobby.

Thanks buddy

Regards Jim

1.gif

LOL lol lol lol

Justin snuck this one in on us, i just posted my complete pictures, of my Klipschorn progress, im keeping what Justin did for laptop picture.

Thank you again Justin

Jim,

Justin just gave me an idea...Lets all post pictures of our "little ones" in front of our Klipsch Heritage speakers.

The "big units" over at Klipsch will see this and start producing them in droves-people like James McCall will FINALLY get their speakers as Klipsch will realize they are responsible for keeping the family unit intact.2.gif

Oh well its worth a try!

Jeff

The easiest to retrieve:

"A serious response.

I tested the "break in" theory with a new pair of Pyramid 15 inch drivers. Tests were done with a Lineax X LMS system, which is pretty much a standard.

I tested them out of the box and after 12 hours being driven fairly hard. There was no measureable difference in the TS parameters. One fellow quipped that this just shows they weren't broken in enough. But I'm pretty confident of the results.

One thing which I've never seen proposed is that if you break a speaker in one way or another, there will be good or bad results in the long run."

William F. Gil McDermott, 11/3/99

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?pageNo=2&topicID=14131&num=20&sessionID={0F087168-AC91-481E-B6CF-0EDCB039473A}