A painfully true email from a friend - Perspective

mobile homeless

I just returned from a meeting and found this waiting in my inbox. It was a mail from a friend of mine that has been perusing the audio forums with me for the last three-four years. He had never been in ye olde Klipsch 2 Channel forum so he hopped on (we have about the same taste in amplfication/gear/music more or less).

Here is the lovely mail below which made me chortle a bit...then sigh.

The title refers to the advice giving nature of yours truly and it's a nickname he gave me a while back; rest assured, I dont use it at social occasions.... See below in its entirety and unedited - Note: English is not his first language:

SUBJECT: Holy Mother Theresa!

You seriously hang out on this Klipsch forum... Good grief it is as painful

as the Bottlehead forum or the Decware forum. Froots there follow a

religion. It seems much more like the Klipsch Fraternity than anything else.

All the posts are the same, this is the summum of the "running in circle

discussions". Only thing missing is Jack G talking about tube rolling.

Typical discussion on the 2 channel board:

"Hey guys, I see you like tube amps! What should I buy!"

Then someone babble about the Scott, you pop in saying Scott is good, but

you could consider the Wright or the Moondogs... Eico HF-81 this and that...

Another froot will say Marantz or HK Citation II.

The next poster will say:

"Hey guys, I see you like tubes amps! Is it true the Eicos are that good..."

Then the same discussion will start again.

Lord does anybody knows the search function!

ALL forums are painfull...

After reading that, I had to laugh at the semi-truth to the whole thing, especially to those that hang out here for the long haul. Obviously, there is a lot more going on here than my friend's spoof, but in ways it's a bit too close to the bone at times.

Sadly, the NEW AND IMPROVED forum was supposed to have a great new and improved search function; instead, it is actually FAR worse than the old one. It borders on being completely useless. One thing is for sure, it's quite easy to get burned out here. Just HOW MUCH can one talk about this or that piece of gear without becoming as redundant as the Windows Shut Down feature...

By the way, have I told you about the Moondogs?

kh

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Repitition is the best teacher.

Got my new KR300BXLS'. A very different tube in structure. No ringing at all. I'm very pleased. Sonically, it seems to be a little warmer, but also seems to be a bit less dynamic.

BTW -- what are your thoughts on the Eicos?9.gif

I agree with what your friend is saying. What he maybe missing from are banter about this and that amp is we are all friends to one level or another. We also show a respect for the most part of each others opinions I think alot more than most forums I've been on ! I can tell you all that's been a few on different topics.

But the search engine could probably end alot of the redundant topics. They do get old :( .

Craig

PROBLEM # 1

This is a public forum . Those seeking further knowledge may be served better elsewere.

PROBLEM # 2

This forum has very little guidence for newbies , by no fault of there own. Postings become repedative.

PROBLEM # 3

Posting status , newbie / cool newbie / crazy poster / insane poster ----- you get the picture. Guys are posting a lot of garbage just to run up the tally.

etc etc etc etc !!!

Personally i enjoy the guys here and quite enjoy there sense of humor. Made a lot of new friends and contacts that never would have been possible without this forum.

I'll weed through the good and bad, but i'm here for the long haul. hope you decide the same 2.gif

(answer to Stehr)Lordy, isnt that the truth... I draw the line somewhere... 2 Channel and Updating Speakers are about all I can handle in this part of the World. Then again, if feeling REALLY weak, I might venture into the General Questions area, only to sag as if taking a bullet. I once got very lost and actually wandered into the ARAGON 2 channel and even answered two questions. They sat there without a response for close to 20 days. Yep, I looked. I once walked away from this place for three months or so without a peek.

I obviously wasnt cured....Although some wish I HAD been.

kh

Dale, this particular forum bends over backwards to help others often repeating the same answers in various ways 20-30 times. I think I have written enough prattle on this ONE forum to fill a NOVELLA! If I had put that much effort into the text of my webpages, I would have 50% more sites done along with a lost better income!

I actually dont see people in this forum posting to run their count up. Only a few here are guilty of that and most dont hang out in this place that much. I would give anything to be back at FREAK status...

it's true, I hardly ever use the search function here anymore, while over at the audioasylum I still use it quite often. why? well I think it has to do with the "fraternity" concept mentioned by your friend Kelly, I feel I have more in common with people on this B-board and feel more friendship here than at the asylum. so I natrually treat everything a little less formally and more in a conversational manner. so I ask, off the cuff, which SET to buy and expect my friends to give me a quick off the cuff answer, they may suggest I search for past posts where they invested time before in lengthy explanations, and I will not take offense, I will go search...but most often they will take a few moments to say ti yet again. wright, eico, scott, etc. lol...but I hang around a lot at the asylum and every day (sometimes more than once a day) someone asks, "what's the best SET amp?" what is the best high-efficiency speaker?...blah, blah, blah...I take the time to give my opinion, for what it is worth, and almost never suggest they search, unless there was a very good, detailed, past post that would better explain something (almost never any of my past posts! lol)...I think we are a pretty good community here...regards, tony

btw I got a note from your friend Kelly, the one in canada who makes the SET amps, very reasonable prices! have you heard anything he's made?

MOBILE: Dont get me wrong , i was talking about the entire forum as a whole not 2 channel audio per say.

I post here olny when i need help from those who can offer it. General questions & odds and mods is a little more relaxed atmosphere for goofing off and having a little fun.