Just bought Hersey Gen1 for $100. I should have opened them up before I bought.

9 hours ago, Vader540is said:

I have a multimeter, how do I check DCR?

set the Multimeter DIAL TO OHMS -----then connect the probes on the connectors that come out of the woofer cone marked positive and negative

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Vader540is said:

The one with the K56 doesn't sound the same as the one with the K55. I prefer the Sound of the K55

The K55, if not adjusted for in the crossover, will probably be a little louder, and be more appealing to you. The K56 has a slightly smaller diaphragm. Both of those driver will cover the response for the midrange on Heresy speakers, but they aren't a perfect match. The Heresy IIs used a different driver.

16 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

You can buy the capacitors through-the klipsch Authorized Dealer   @JEM Performance ---the capacitors are OEM Klipsch parts designed for your speakers , do not use aftermarkets from Crites or any other source , they will not sound right

How would you know? You wouldn't, really, but that's a whole can of worms.

The K56 (EV 1828) was used in Cornwalls in '74. Heresy IIs used a K52, and there is a bit of a mix during the transition from the original Heresy to Heresy II.

Enjoy them and find another K55 to get them balanced out and you will have a pair of speaker to go another 40 years.

• Like 1

you do not have to take my word for it --------let me take a random  post about 1 forum member who swapped CRITES SONICAPS   out of his speakers in order to replace them with JEM KLIPSCH ORIGINAL CAPACITORS --

On 1/10/2021 at 7:19 AM, Madman1 said:

Oh c’mon Wuzzer, take the time to replace one of the L or R speaker with the center and place some 2 channel music to appease us please! 😆

I mean “inquiring minds want to know”.

As you wish!

So, I just finished a listening session where I replaced my left front speaker (1980 Heresy, stock drivers, Sonicaps) with my center speaker (1981 Heresy, stock drivers, JEM Performance caps).  Both speakers have exactly the same OEM Klipsch drivers.  I don't remember their part numbers exactly but the tweeters are both square magnet, K-77 I think; midrange on both is soldered lug K-55V; woofers are K-33-R, I believe. 

I used Beatles mono tracks on YouTube for a comparison.  I know, certainly not high quality as far as media is concerned but I don't own any mono recordings and my receiver doesn't have a mono feature. 

I sat on the floor directly between my Heresys which are about 10 feet apart.  I had them toed in so that they were firing just behind my head. 

I don't buy in to all the cliche audio terms so I'm just going to describe in my own words what I heard.

- Naturalness.  The JEM speaker sounded more natural across the board, more analog.  Instruments sounded more like they sound when you hear them live.  The Sonicap speaker sounded more 'digital'.  It sounded as if it were overemphasizing things such as high-hats, cymbals and upper octaves of vocals.

- Smoothness.  The JEM speaker was smoother overall, not as harsh or grainy in upper frequencies.

- Distinction.  At higher volumes with the JEM speaker I was able to follow different instruments up and down their frequency ranges while the Sonicap speaker kind of mushed everything together. 

I was not expecting to hear such a difference.  Now, take this all with a grain of salt.  As we all know, everyone's hearing, room, electronics, etc is different so your results may be different than mine.  All I know is as soon as I'm done posting this I'm emailing Jim at JEM and ordering the kits for my front mains.

Also, please don't take this as I'm bashing Bob Crites or any of his products.  I've bought a lot from Bob over the years and he does provide a lot for the Klipsch world that isn't available anywhere else and his customer service is fantastic.

They may sound awesome with the JEM replacements. But "right" is up to the listener. How old are you? Would you "know" what is right with ears past... 50, 60 years. Even 30 years old...

Just sayin'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

They may sound awesome with the JEM replacements. But "right" is up to the listener. How old are you? Would you "know" what is right with ears past... 50, 60 years. Even 30 years old...

Just sayin'.

Keep on sayin'.......

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

They may sound awesome with the JEM replacements.

Chief bonehead

On 3/16/2021 at 4:33 PM, moray james said:

are you a member of some secret Klipsch society which avails to educate those who might want to modify a Klipsch product which they own that they are somehow unknowingly destroying forever a Klipsch loudspeaker? If you have no assistance to offer by way of information or help then leave the guy to it. How many warning do there need to be, is there a set number he can at least look forward to when the warnings stop?

You can do whatever you want to do to your klipsch speaker. The speaker was designed and produced with a certain spec in mind. Once you put in something that is not klipsch approved then it is no longer a klipsch speaker. I really don’t understand why this is so hard to comprehend  

Sorry guys, I don't want to contribute to the escalation here. But it is like this. The old Aerovox caps were polyester in oil. The caps that Klipsch uses today are also polyester caps, although without oil. This is really no secret. You can buy these caps at JEM or you can get them elsewhere. And if you are happy with Sonicaps, you can use Sonicaps or completely different caps. My goodness. Everyone can choose what they like.
I personally favour polyester types with my old Klipsch Lascala. But from my point of view there is no reason to compulsively follow a holy rule. The advantage of JEM is that they offer the right capacitance values, some of which are not standard values. But they are normal decent good polyester caps. No more and no less.

It is a very positive feature that PWK has always liked to work with sensible parts. So you take these sensible parts as they exist in today's incarnation. In my view, there is no need for reverence, but ignorance would also be wrong. And in the end, it's not worth arguing about at all. Do we want to have fun and enjoy listening?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Vader540is, welcome to the forum.

Heresy’s are the gateway drug to Klipsch!

Where I’m going with this is... don’t get past the point of diminishing returns on this project because you will be climbing the Klipsch ladder, others call it going down the Klipsch rabbit hole, lol.

This is a great project to hone your skills and knowledge on.

Lots of Heresy parts come up inexpensively from time to time.

You could check and see which drivers and crossovers were used in the last series of Heresy 1s to use those specific tweeters(fragile) and go that route or just make them both the same as inexpensively and quickly as possible. 

Do not expect to rock the house down with those Heresys, but with a subwoofer they will shine.

17 minutes ago, KT88 said:

The advantage of JEM is that they offer the right capacitance values, some of which are not standard values.

While this may be true, there are many other cap manufacturers that also offer the correct values, may just take a little bit of research.

54 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Just sayin'.

Yes and some like Cellos and some like big bad bass thump and buy different speakers to satisfy their needs. So who is right? Well both of them are right for their tastes and they did buy speakers for their tastes didn't they. Personally I like both and had to build mine since I could not buy them outright.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

set the Multimeter DIAL TO OHMS -----then connect the probes on the connectors that come out of the woofer cone marked positive and negative

That's a recording logging multimeter and not what one would typically use for simple ohms measuring. A Fluke 117 multimeter is admirably suited for that though and is 1/4th the price.

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

@Vader540is, welcome to the forum.

Heresy’s are the gateway drug to Klipsch!

Where I’m going with this is... don’t get past the point of diminishing returns on this project because you will be climbing the Klipsch ladder, others call it going down the Klipsch rabbit hole, lol.

This is a great project to hone your skills and knowledge on.

Lots of Heresy parts come up inexpensively from time to time.

You could check and see which drivers and crossovers were used in the last series of Heresy 1s to use those specific tweeters(fragile) and go that route or just make them both the same as inexpensively and quickly as possible. 

Do not expect to rock the house down with those Heresys, but with a subwoofer they will shine.

Thanks! It's all good, I completely understand the difference of opinion with everyone. They all have the right to their own opinion. 

On another note...I should have included these pictures, one driver looks different. 

PXL_20210522_202955866.jpg