I buy anything by �

Colin

OK, so my last thread was not entirely on topic, but at least it generated some interest, some thought and a lot of emotional response. Perhaps this one will too.

Diana Krall, at whos throat and hands I worship as a devoted child, has a new CD out. She brings out about one a year now. Guess that is some formulae for staying at the top of the charts. My first instinct is to rush out and buy it, for I have everything else of hers and love them all. (I strongly recommend the remastered version of her first release, (Stepping Out, 2000).

But logic tells me that I have all but two of her newly released songs and they are not live versions either. So I dont know if I will get it. (I might give it to the wife for Xmas. Tweaking audiophiles know that one trick of the trade is to buy the significant other the music that she likes, so that you can play your music reproduction system louder and longer.)

But that is not the question for this rambunctious gang. No, the question is: whose music do you just have to have? For example, I once knew a guy who bought all versions of the Rolling Stones records; Mexican, European, whatever, anything by them (despite the foreign releases, they were all in English and he had songs I had never seen here). I am tempted to buy anything by Diana, Sarah McLachlan, kd lang, certainly Sting, Paul Simon, Tracy Chapman, Simply Red, Supertramp, Michael Franks and maybe a few others, whose names are currently mired in the crevices. How about you, whose work do you just have to have?

2.gif

This is a difficult question. By default, I like rock. Older rock. Van Halen, AC/DC, Rush(pre "Signals" Rush), Def Leppard, Ratt, Dokken... You get the idea. However, there is not much rock that I really care much about these days.

Now, in the mid 90's there was and I am sure still is a guy whose music I really did/do enjoy, he being David Arkenstone. Not rock, but rather New Age. He has some great music.

But right now? Na, I can't think if anything.

I am all about 311! I can not go a day without hearing them play. Their drummer, Chad Sexton, is totally awesome! He says he got all his motivation from being in Drum Corps too! I totally worship drum corps and for those of you who have never been to a live drum corps show you don't know what true power is!

So 311 is my band of choice. They totally jam and even though I have been told by many that their new stuff sucks...I think it totally rocks!

RJB

Pink Floyd / Roger Waters fan here. I have 15 PF albums on vinyl and several of Roger's own issues including the Amused to Death Album which I would rate as one of the best Ablums ever made.

I also own a fair amount of Queen, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, Eurythmics, Chris-de-burgh, Suzanne Vega, Jacintha, 10cc, Chicago, Beetles, Rolling Stones, The Who, UB40, Genesis and Dire Straits that spring to mind immediately.

Then there is the classical stuff. Mainly large orchestral and Operatic works. Currenty listening to Verdi's Aida on a simply sublime recording...

In my younger days i catched up all Frank Zappa, Rush (til the Signals album), Led Zeppelin, Stanley Clarke, later my favourites were Primus and Nine Inch Nails. Not fo forget as teen i collected all Beatles albums. Today nothing specific, i buy this and that.

Bernd

Don't know how many more he and she will ever put out, but they already have a large enough discography to keep me busy for years not to mention probably at the cost of a new pair of K-horns. Of course I'm talking of BB King and Lucille. 9.gif

My other must buy is short, but sadly so. He died way too young. Each time I play his CD's through the RF-7's, I gain increased appreciation for his genius. BB King in his autobiography stated of him "I loved him like a son." Rest in peace, SRV.

~shoe

The reason here can be two fold . number one you love the music and number two you respect the band and there outlook on the industry.

Reason number two is why i buy all of WIDE MOUTH MASON'S cd's. Now here is a canadian band with a ton of raw talent that has basicly told the recording industry to go pound sand. " WERE GOING TO DO IT OUR WAY , OR NO WAY AT ALL ". Now that i respect and admire from a group thats trying to make a living out of playing and composing there own music.

When recording companies force the hand of bands to produce just to meet the demands of there contract and stay within the mainstream of tiny bopper tunes just for there share of $. This sickens me and makes for some real poor music content. It's a tough world out there in music land so i take my hat off and wallet out for bands that stand up to slay the beast.

I buy anything from people who have a similar name as me, or my name completely.

I do this because I am weird... My brother's name is Patrick, jokingly named after St. Patrick, hell he has his own day!

I am named Justin. No popular historical person shares my name so I find it important to seize the people of today making history or whatever that share my name.

So, I get music from Justincase (which was my nick name, and justintime), Justin Timberlake (only his album since the others did not have justin in the title) and some others. Not many famous Justin's out there! Gotta help them out haha. I don't even listen to the cd's a lot of the time, just buy them...

Like I said, I am weird.

Learn to Google

Jus¡Ptin Saint. A.D. 100?-165.

Greek theologian who founded a school of Christian philosophy at Rome and wrote the Apology and the Dialogue.

Justin I

c.450¡V527, Byzantine emperor (518¡V27); successor of Anastasius I. He was chief of the imperial guard and became emperor when Anastasius died. Justin persecuted the Monophysites (The history of this sect and of its ramifications has been summarized under EUTYCHIANISM - the nickname somewhat unfairly given by Catholic controversialists) and maintained close relations with the Western Church. An uneducated man, he entrusted the government largely to his nephew, who eventually succeeded him as Justinian I. 1

See A. Vasiliev, Justin the First (1950).

Justin II

d. 578, Byzantine emperor (565¡V78), nephew and successor to Justinian I. He allied himself with the Turks and resumed the wars with Persia. During his reign Slavs and Avars attacked the empire, and Italy was invaded by the Lombards under Alboin. He severely persecuted the Monophysites. Subject to fits of insanity, he adopted (574) the general Tiberius as his son. Tiberius was made caesar and exercised power until he succeeded Justin (578) on the latter¡¦s death.

Not popular perhaps, but I know what you mean, I am so much better off since Colin Powell

º

2.gif