What ever happend to Equalizers?

heresy2guy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit surprised by the uh, intensity this thread has generated. I mean geez, it's not like we're debating the relative merits of toobs versus solid state. (HA)

Even a very well-made recording might sound dull or bright to some people in some rooms. Is it violating some kind of golden-eared audiophile law to simply try to fix it? I'm not just talking so much about "taste", but about individual hearing function. Because just like loudspeakers, every person's auditory performance can be measured and graphed. IOW words, every individual tends to have a bit different frequency response from every other individual. Which kind of helps to explain why their are hundred and hundreds of different loudspeakers on the market, and why there is so much difference of opinion as to what is best.

A friend of mine has some speaker boxes he built using car audio 6x9's and some tweeters,

These speakers definetely sound better with his eq "adjusted"2.gif

Although he seems envious of my Klipsch.

I always leave my eq and or tone controls flat because I like the way that it sounds.

My JBL L46 speakers sound different from my Heresies, the JBL's are less bright then the heresies but I like the way they both sound.

Peace, Josh

• 3 weeks later...

Hey......I like EQ's. The Spectrum Analyzer makes my system look cool. :) It's kinda funny when I get the ooos and ahaaas from non audiophile types who really don't know. Do I actually need it? NOT! My Forte's definitely do the job quite well without it not to mention that the EQ does add noise.

The problem I've noticed with broadband eq's (the "graphic equalizer") is they may improve sound in one spot, but make it much worse in other spots in the room.

I've also noticed the cheaper ones, even when set flat, do bad things to the sound.

Setting any eq to an extreme boost is a recipie for disaster. You could be sending huge amounts of power to the speakers above or below what you can hear and never know anything is wrong until everything goes silent or buzzy.

Extreme settings can also make some amplifiers freak out as well.

Where you really need eqs though, is when you run sound reinforcement. A good parametric is a big help in taming the feedback demon.

10.gif

Heresy2guy : I have been to quite a few different venues ( concerts ) in the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium, and I am happy to say that the sound of the artists I have seen ( Steve Earle, Amanda Marshall, Chantal Kreviazuk, Colin James, Collective Soul ) have very closely matched the sound of the cd's I own. I have also seen Nazareth at a bar in town which I felt was a poor quality performance. In short, the quality of the hall has a lot to do with the sound, as well as the mix, the eq'ing etc. While I won't argue that a good eq, when properly executed will help to tame peaks in response, a person who likes to play with an eq an severly boost the treble and bass are sure torturing their equipment. I believe that this is only the point that HDBR builder was trying to make. First and foremost the room affects the perceived sound the most, follwed by the speakers themselves, then by sources, etc, etc.

Well, since having the H/K 430, I no longer feel (personally) that my system is in need of an EQ because I just love the sound that now comes from my Heresys. Of course, I do have the treble and bass settings adjusted (positively of course) but I have no need for the "countour" or loudness button to be activated for the H/K is practically a bass monster. With my old Technics, the sound was lousey (to me) no matter what I did to the tonal adjustments but now with the H/K I get EXACTLY the kind of sound I like, for which, I am grateful to those here on the forum (particularly HDBRbuilder) who recommened the piece.

Tone controls are EQ and every preamp I've liked over the years has had them. In my current system and room I have the tone controls set "flat" unless I am listening to old 78 rpm records, but in other environments and with other speakers I have used them to very good effect. I once lived in a room that was 35 feet square with concrete walls and a 25 foot ceiling--I had to back off on the bass "tone" controls a click or two just to make the damn thing listenable. Never did sound "right." It was just an impossible room, but the tone controls, or "EQ" did help!

Is there a place for EQ? Sure, but I doubt you'd ever need more than the "tone controls" that come with a nice vintage preamp and adding a separate unit, most of which are mass-market dreck that can only foul up the signal, would be a mistake 99.9% of the time.

Allan and I have been around this block before.... I have tone controls on all my old stuff. All my modern gear is without it. And I am thankful. Especially when you get in the SET range, even having a Balance pot is noticable. All I have in my main system is a TKD attenuator with individual resistors for the volume control and that's it. I took the Noble balance pot out and it helped a bit. Ditto moving the Noble volume to the used pile and moving to the TKD attenuator.

But I see where a lot of people do like them. I just never use mine, even on the vintage gear. Backing the bass down would be a help...but most people TURN UP THE TONE controls for that BOOST like a boom box in heat....

kh

Yep. Just about every time I've used tone controls it has been to BACK OFF on the bass controls. Never once did boosting the bass do anything but screw things up (I feel the same way about most subwoofers too). And I have never had to adjust the treble controls at all unless listening to pre-RIAA recordings which ALWAYS need a treble boost.