Lascala finish question

mingham

14 hours ago, Schu said:

Not sure there was a W at all on a '88 La Scala... unless it was stain

My '98 LS had a walnut stain with a lacquer finish. I would assume they were doing that earlier as well.

31 minutes ago, mingham said:

Looks like birch with a stain and lacquer.  I wouldn’t call it walnut though.  Way too orange. 

Correct   Klipsch did not  veneer the Lascala cabinets until the Lascala II , revision with the Split 2 piece MDF cabs

18 hours ago, mingham said:

What does "LS Walnut" label code denote re: the finish on 1988 Lascalas?   I thought "WL" was Walnut Lacquer and "WO" was Walnut Oiled.  They look like they have an applied surface coat as opposed to an oil finish.

the LS stands for La Scala

Picked them up today.  In person, they are clearly not walnut, but birch 7-ply with a stain.  Cabs in decent shape with minimal chips/scratching.  One big water stain, and one big scratch on a side.   I am considering veneering them with walnut.  I have done a fair bit of woodwork, finishing and veneer work in the past, and I am confident I could significantly improve the aesthetics.  I would probably do a linen/lambswool grille too, probably just up top.  Similar to what I did with the Forte IIs in the pic (I am not leaving them up there, just wanted to A/B them and didn't have room beside the Lascalas).  Just getting them set up and listening for the first time.    I know the placement is not ideal, but I really don't have many options in this room. 

Q:  Is it heresy to veneer all original classics like this?  I am torn.  It would make the wife happy...  Am I right in thinking it is more likely to hurt resale value than to help it?

Thanks for all the advice thus far.

Also, I am considering recapping or Crites/other aftermarket crossovers, etc. I am open to suggestions, but I won't ask, I will search as I am sure it has been discussed thoroughly.  I am just going to enjoy them for awhile before I do anything.

275137782_7081543678582475_1191921641219249023_n.jpg

275235376_4784443368334325_3118801012118209103_n.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Congrat! Hope you got a decent deal.

Yes, listen to them first for awhile and resist changing crossover parts for abit. That way, you should be readily able to hear any difference when you should refresh crossovers.

You will be or have already heard about needing a subwoofer also. Will be your decision ultimately...

I feel like I got a decent deal (is $2k a good deal?). 

The bass is definitely different than the Fortes.  I think since they are sitting flat on the floor, with that big flat bottom, I can feel the bass vibrations in my floor.   Probably not the best thing as I live in a townhouse, which is also why I probably won't do a sub.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mingham said:

I feel like I got a decent deal (is $2k a good deal?). 

The bass is definitely different than the Fortes.  I think since they are sitting flat on the floor, with that big flat bottom, I can feel the bass vibrations in my floor.   Probably not the best thing as I live in a townhouse, which is also why I probably won't do a sub.   

Yes you may want to put something under them to help with vibrations. They have feet but the guys here knows. Townhouse...cool!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mingham said:

"Just wondering why you’d put a pair of fortes on top of a pair of lascalas?"

I put them up there to A/B them with the LaScalas.  I know it's not ideal, but there is no room beside them.

Shame about the drink ring.  However, there are ways to remove it.  Or, you could have squares of smoked glass cut to the size of the tops of the speakers.  That would both dress them up and protect them from any future poorly considered actions by anyone.  One time when my dad visited me, he left a wet pop can on the top of one of my black La Scalas.  Fortunately, I noticed it the next day and got to work with a buffing cloth.  Half an hour later, the mark was gone, but it shows how your speakers can even be messed up by oblivious family members, the folks whom you hate to yell at.

And it's not just drinks.  People sometime put live potted plants on top of speakers, and sooner or later a spill happens.

Have you considered putting the Fortes behind/beside the sofa, to function as your Surround speakers?  They might be ideal.  Sure, that sounds decadent, but once you watch a movie that makes good use of the possibilities of surround sound, your partner might be sufficiently impressed to agree that it's a great idea, and that it makes your stereo into a luxury sound system, the envy of our friends.  That's you speaking.  When I got my lacquered walnut La Scala IIs, I didn't immediately know what to do with the older black La Scalas.  I had a pair of Heresy IIs as Surround speakers, and they did a pretty good job.  Having La Scalas as Surround speakers sounded ridiculous, but they were here, they were paid for, so what the heck?

I had to raise them about a foot, so the squawkers and tweeters could "see" over the sofa, but that was pretty easy, and those good-looking Fortes could add some magic to your movie or music video experiences.  How's that for a pitch?

As for updates/upgrades to your new-to-you La Scalas, it would be best to listen to them as they are for a few months, so that you know what you've got.  Then, you may have an idea or two about things you might like to address, and you'll be able to tell whether the change was an improvement or just a change.  And of course, make only one change at a time, or you won't know which did what.  Like what happened to me at the start of this paragraph.                               

3 hours ago, mingham said:

I put them up there to A/B them with the LaScalas.  I know it's not ideal, but there is no room beside them.

the setup is beautiful ,  the Forte sound better higher up  or laying on their side than on the floor -