Klipsch Takes THX

rjb294

Has anyone heard about this?

Regal Cinemas, the worlds largest cinema operator, understands exactly how important high-quality sound is to its customers. Following a comprehensive shootout, or extensive product comparison, conducted at Malcos Majestic theater in Memphis, Regal Cinemas signed an agreement with Klipsch to supply professional cinema loudspeakers for 1,500 new auditoriums across the U.S.

Has anyone been to one of these theaters? I was just wondering what the sound was like. I bet it is amazing!

RJB

----------------

On 1/3/2003 4:31:30 PM proudestmonkey wrote:

i am excited to vist one of these theaters, i wish they had a list of theaters that are klipsch equiped. i am tired of listening to jbl speakers..
----------------

What's wrong with JBL??

The theater I used to work at had JBL speakers in its THX auditorium and the sound was excellent.

One time we thought one of the tweeters had blown(actually a rat chewed through the speaker wire)so we went to switch out the mid/high compression driver on the horn. This driver weighed 25 pounds, we set it on a desk in the office and the socket wrench we used on it would flip up off of the desk and stick to the top of the driver from almost a foot away. I guess it wasn't exactly video shielded2.gif

Peace, Josh

Yeah,

I think partsexpress sells the same or a similar model compression driver.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=10520414&St=4584&St2=57720416&St3=38905918&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=7727&DID=7

The subwoofer box for this place was a concrete room you could actually walk inside, it had a number of JBL 18" woofers mounted on the front "wall" behind the screen. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be stuck in there when a movie started up with the THX trailer 14.gif

Peace, Josh

----------------

On 1/3/2003 9:06:31 PM Invidiosulus wrote:

The subwoofer box for this place was a concrete room you could actually walk inside, it had a number of JBL 18" woofers mounted on the front "wall" behind the screen. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be stuck in there when a movie started up with the THX trailer

----------------

Gee, I just can't image why2.gif

Several theaters in my area use the HPS-4000 sound system which uses Klipsch speakers. The sound is as good as anything you'll hear.

I also hear THX theater rigs using JBL and EV speakers, both sound very good.

Amd AMC's dedicated system using EVs sounds very good too.

Actually all the newer shows I go to have very good sound. But to my memory nothing I hear sounds better than the 70mm roadshow presentations of the 50s and 60s--- Ben-Hur, Spartacus, South Pacific, The Alamo, Cleopatra; stuff like that. And 3-panel Cinerama, wow! Those old Loop movie palaces had some very good sound and projection systems. You young guys will probably never see and hear the equal save for Imax. But nobody is making regular movies in Imax.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Josh---Here's a photo of a very serious theater driver, one of my Altec 288Ls. 1.4" throat, weight 30 pounds, note how small the 1" throat Altec 908 is in comparison.

This driver was designed by Jim Lansing in 1934 with a field-coil magnet as the Lansing 285 and was used in the famous MGM-Shearer Horn. After Altec bought Lansing Mfg. it was given a permanent Alnico magnet and became the 288. Later was given a ferrite magnet and improved phasing plug as 288L. This driver had a production run from 1934 to 1999.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

post-6913-13819246078838_thumb.jpg

I wrote several months back that our new Regal theater installed all Klipsch speakers. I believe the the thread I replyed to was how good was the sound at your local theater. At that time many of you thought I was off my rocker and that know one had heard that Klipsch was doing this. The sound is very very good. The other plex in our town(Brendon Theaters) uses JBL and as good as it sounds the Regal set up is much cleaner and dynamic with the Klipsch. Well I guess this proves that I am slightly sain.

JOSH

ISN'T COMMERCIAL SOUND BEAUTIFULL !!

KINDA LIKE BEING IN A CANDY SHOP

JBL DOES MAKE A REALLY NICE PRO SPEAKER.

WHAT INCIDENTALLY, WERE THEY POWERING THE

JBL SUBS/MAINS WITH IN THE THEATRE?

MCINTOSH? BRYSTON? CARVER?

THERE HAD TO BE A FAN COOLED RACK AROUND THE

BACK OF THE SPEAKERS SOMWHERE.

THE NICEST COMMERCIAL SOUND IVER HEARD SO FAR

WAS IN A CLUB(YEA , I KNOW ITS NOT A THEATRE)

WITH A MAMMOTH DANCE FLOOR USING 6 MCM TWIN 15"

BASS CABINETS, AND FOUR TWEETER HORN CABINETS