Progress report on my La Scalas

Dave MacKay

I got your back bro.....  now you know who to reach out to for spousal advice when you bring your first pair of Jubilee's home....

Full disclosure:  Said spousal advice might be to seek a competent divorce attorney.....

• Thanks 1

Hey Dave,

I can echo what everybody else have said, outstanding job on your Scalas and THTLP subs!

Personally doing this restoration should give a high level of pride of ownership, which will make your system sound even better. 😎

Way to show that Canuck power. 👏👏

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 8:10 PM, Dave MacKay said:

I'm still ROTFLMAO 😄

My wife has been wanting to hire a decorator to choose new paint colours because the current colours (i.e., my choices) are hopelessly old and dated. With glee, I showed her this post. She just shook her head. I'm not sure, but in my mind I think this means I'm +1.

You may hear occasional references to Smurf Scalas.  Yes, somebody once did paint a pair of La Scalas Smurf Blue, and there have been lots of other surprising ideas as well.  I recall seeing a pair of mirror-covered Scalas, which looked pretty good in their way.  I don’t know whether that would make them seem more obtrusive in the room, or maybe a bit harder to see instead.  The lighting would probably make all the difference in that case.

Dave, your blonde La Scalas look great (yes, that’s what many Birch Raw speakers get called; people love the look.  There’s even a blonde MCM around!), and nobody would suggest making them any other colour, but the black ones, which are in the majority, don’t get that respect, so some owners feel no inhibitions about expressing their creativity on their speakers.

Hmm, this is making me wonder if I should paint my Birch Black Surround Scalas with Vanta Black, so they’d really look invisible behind the sofa.  Or maybe those big black Black Holes would have irresistible visual gravity, pulling your eyes inexorably toward them, making them even more noticeable.  La Scalas are fun to think about as well as listen to!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 8:03 AM, MookieStl said:

That looks great Dave. Beautiful room that I am sure sounds as good as it looks. Keep up the good work! I think it still might need a little more cow bell. You should be able to fit another set of LS in that room. the furniture may have to go but.......... It's a fun ride, but you have to know when to get off. Some never figure it out!

image.thumb.jpeg.47475593710861b8f9d44d652d936a3f.jpeg

Hey, that's a nice looking THTLP laying down on the left there.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Islander said:

Dave, your blonde La Scalas look great (yes, that’s what many Birch Raw speakers get called

Interestingly, that's what mine had been dubbed before I refinished them.

When a neighbour was helping me move them around, he dubbed the Raw Birch La Scalas "the blondes" on account of their colour and of how much attention I was paying to them. 😄

Before I settled on veneering them in Sapele, I considered both Birch and Anigre veneers so that the speakers could retain their nickname. However, I wasn't keen on the grain of the birch veneer and the Anigre veneer that my supplier had wasn't very appealing so that I ended up going with the Sapele.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 5:42 PM, codewritinfool said:

Hey, that's a nice looking THTLP laying down on the left there.

Recognize it?

That's how I knew Dave's setup would sound so nice. Your THTLP worked great with my 4 LS! I can only imagine two subs and two LS.

• Like 1