AK-2 Klipschorn adding Sequerra T1 ribbons.

Escoffee

Hello interested in thoughts on this setup. I have a pair of AK2 equipped Khorns from the mid 80s, and a pair of T1 ribbon tweeters from Sequerra.  My Khorns are spaced around 22ft away from each other and suffer a bit with imaging due to this space. I'm hoping aiming the ribbons  can help adjust some of the separation in the soundstage when sitting closer. 

Curious if there are any recommendations on hookup.  I can either jump another wire from the bass bin, leaving both the existing Klipsch tweeter and the Ribbon tweeter playing, or bypass the original tweeter and go with JUST the T1.  I realize the first option of using both tweeters may have some impact on the impedance, but I'm not sure how bad it would be.  Driving with a SONY TA-A1ES ES integrated.

Appreciate the input!

• Like 1

I don't know the distance but, could they simply be too far apart and you have a hole in center?  I think this is why PWK came up with his magic box that setup a center channel.

Would seem to me that if everything is working correctly, you wouldn't need a different/additional tweeter.  I don't however, know the optimum width of room before more width starts to create a problem.  Perhaps someone will chime in about that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Toz said:

It would boil down to whether the ribbon would have a high enough efficiency to play as loud as the rest of the speaker. That's doubtful.

Thanks for the reply! They have built in attenuators so we will see, I’ll play around with the hookup point if nobody has any suggestion

9 hours ago, Coytee said:

I don't know the distance but, could they simply be too far apart and you have a hole in center?  I think this is why PWK came up with his magic box that setup a center channel.

Would seem to me that if everything is working correctly, you wouldn't need a different/additional tweeter.  I don't however, know the optimum width of room before more width starts to create a problem.  Perhaps someone will chime in about that.

That’s definitely the issue, they are definitely too far apart for ideal imaging. Selling the wife on the k horns was hard enough, adding another speaker into the center is out of the question.   

my thought is that these tweeter/super tweeters can be aimed better at my preferred listening position.  I’ll report back

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Escoffee said:

Selling the wife on the k horns was hard enough, adding another speaker into the center is out of the question.

Lol, Amen to that  lol....  I totally understand that.

What about building false corners so you can bring them in to what works for you?  (I do presume to know her reaction already.....but felt worth mentioning)

• Like 1

Stereo creates phantom sound images , but the greater the distance between the left and right speaker ( in relation to the seating distance)the more  difficult it is to produce a realistic image . The most  accurate image is one that is derived from discrete channels where the speaker can play from its proper sound stage position  ,rather than relying on a phantom source to give  the illusion of distance and direction. 22 ft is a wide separation ,  at this distance the dreaded hole in the middle can take  effect, this effect is  actually  a serious flaw to the stereo image , but with  Valentine’s Day coming up ,could the wife really say no to a Lascala center?🤓

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Escoffee said:

Thanks for the reply! They have built in attenuators so we will see, I’ll play around with the hookup point if nobody has any suggestion

That only lowers their output.  I think that ribbons are usually not very efficient but maybe these are.  You need a very efficient tweeter to keep up with the woofer. 

Will a tweeter only fill in the gap? 

Also, how far back are you sitting?  Are you about 22' back?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

People over 30 are hard pressed to hear 6k

The other question is what valuable information would be found at those freqs. 🙄

Duke, that means we're doomed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2023 at 11:39 AM, Toz said:

It would boil down to whether the ribbon would have a high enough efficiency to play as loud as the rest of the speaker. That's doubtful.

The B&C DE250 does pretty well out to 18Kz... 108+ db. They are relatively inexpensive.

BTW, aren't these considered modifications?

I have never had my speakers more that 12 feet apart. I like the imaging better that way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies I lost track of this thread!

my seller of the ribbons fell through on ebay.

so I’m back playing with the derived center channel R+ and L+ with an older diy speaker I had.  

the hole is definitely gone but there are all sorts of time delay issues sitting closer to the center, and using a different speaker. 

I’ll look for a single Cornwall belle or lascala to give it a proper shake and try using an avr to take the center a bit.