AK-2 Klipschorn adding Sequerra T1 ribbons.

Escoffee

54 minutes ago, Escoffee said:

Any thoughts of a KG4 for a center channel matching the K horn? wonder how the voicing is.

Kg series 2 way, not Heritage however, I like the hf horn and has decent bass. May work fine, keyword... May.

For HT, it should work in a pinch. Stereo, not used. A rear passive Radiator will want at least 6 inches to breathe

Edited by billybob

I bought my Khorns in 1976, and then a Belle in 1979 to solve exactly this problem. I made one of PWK's 2PH3 center channel boxes with a high precision (3 turns full on/off) potentiometer so the center channel volume could be dialed in a little better. I had the Khorns more than 28' apart. There's really no solving this problem with Khorns, or almost all other speakers. To overcome this, one really needs to use a true point source linear phase speaker system. (not sure I can mention other manufacturer names on here anymore but Claude J1 knows what I'm talking about) You won't need a center speaker. There will be no "hole in the middle". But stereo being what it is, the optimal listening area will probably also be more narrow. For me, I don't care. I'm the only ONE listening 99.99% of the time.

On 2/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

FWIW I was just reading the old Dope from Hope articles last night.  They say to only use a La Scala or Belle. i.e. keep it all horn loaded with the center channel. 

This is really good advice, Klipschorn with Lascala center is a formidable combination ,everything else is a compromise 🤓

On 2/11/2023 at 9:00 AM, Escoffee said:

so I’m back playing with the derived center channel R+ and L+ with an older diy speaker I had.  

the hole is definitely gone but there are all sorts of time delay issues sitting closer to the center, and using a different speaker. 

I’ll look for a single Cornwall belle or lascala to give it a proper shake and try using an avr to take the center a bit. 

Buy a used THX rated surround receiver

Onkyo Integra and Pioneer cranked them out for a long time

$200 should get you a totl with high quality DAC chips built in.

Any Rev of Heresy on a coffee table or end table from Ikea for $9 on sale

should eliminate the void and timing issues.

Set up the AVR receiver for 3 front and subs and go from there.

Buy a mic from parts express if you don't have one.

Others on here know more than me about how to set up the mic.....

My 2 cents.....

• Moderators
On 2/11/2023 at 9:00 AM, Escoffee said:

Apologies I lost track of this thread!

my seller of the ribbons fell through on ebay.

so I’m back playing with the derived center channel R+ and L+ with an older diy speaker I had.  

the hole is definitely gone but there are all sorts of time delay issues sitting closer to the center, and using a different speaker. 

I’ll look for a single Cornwall belle or lascala to give it a proper shake and try using an avr to take the center a bit. 

The preferred option for center Ch. for stereo is the La Scala. PWK covers this in two Dope from Hopes. The sound of this system, on a 25’ wall, is mind blowing. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 3:06 PM, Escoffee said:

Any thoughts of a KG4 for a center channel matching the K horn? wonder how the voicing is.

Klipschorn and Lascala are unique speakers, they will reach out and touch you with a powerful clean impactful wave of sound, they provide impressive qualities that other speakers simply can’t compete with. The effect is a liveliness and energy presence that is different from what other speakers can offer . Lascala / Klipschorn provide a truly distinctive experience in home sound reproduction, I believe these speakers to be in a class of their own , they play big and powerful, and reserve the ability to shake your core and emotions with tremendous impact and clarity, there’s not much out there that can stand toe to toe with these awesome speakers. They belong together as a formidable front stage trio. 🤓