Making rear port a front port klf20

Got_Horns

I have a pair of very nice condition klf20s.  I need them to be right next to a wall and was wondering the best way to do this. 

I don't really want to drill and patch because their great original condition.  Although I don't see myself ever selling these so...? 

Would a pvc port wrap around, sound just as good?  Or something else? Up for suggestions.  Thanks

3 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I’d just leave them as-is.

But then I can't push them up against the wall?....I have them 10" away but need them as close as possible.

I'm either going to drill a front port or PVC pipe wrapped around to the front.  Or perhaps someone has another suggestion.

Mods if this is the wrong forum please move. 

Hi @Got_Horns

You can close the rear vents and make 2 vents under the speaker, then put a stand or spikes to raise it. It may be necessary to change the length of the tubes a little, but for that it will be necessary to experiment.

You can even make a foot that sends the wave forward and will be less sensitive to the back wall.

Screenshot-2022-06-29-at-14.59.40.png

Everything is invisible except the new foot or the spikes: if you're a good handyman, it can fit perfectly. The only drawback is that the speaker will be 1 or 1 1/2 inches higher.

the result may look like the one on the right or the one on the left

127504327_2970530959715527_3033217821035

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Hi @Got_Horns

You can close the rear vents and make 2 vents under the speaker, then put a stand or spikes to raise it. It may be necessary to change the length of the tubes a little, but for that it will be necessary to experiment.

You can even make a foot that sends the wave forward and will be less sensitive to the back wall.

Everything is invisible except the new foot or the spikes: if you're a good handyman, it can fit perfectly. The only drawback is that the speaker will be 1 or 1 1/2 inches higher.

Thank you ❤️ this was exactly what I was looking for. 

6 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Hi @Got_Horns

That stand on the left is the one that I want to get for my KG-3.5. I want it 99% semi attached to the speaker cabinet.  Any takes?

Sell them and find some Epic CF-3's which are front ported.  Problem solved!  lol  I had the same issue with KLF-30's and their rear ports not allowing them to work like I needed them to in our last house.  The dual 10" CF-3's sounded night and day better than the dual 12" KLF-30's in that particular room.  But I agree completely that rear ported or rear passives do sometimes make it tough to sound right in some rooms where you just can't, or don't want to for aesthetic reasons, have them so close to a wall.

@Got_Horns       the only way around your problem is to create space between the wall and the ports .

move the speakers as far out as you can  from the wall   / 6  to 8  inches , then make a  sealed opening  in the wall , behind the speaker's ports  , let's  say   a 1 foot high x 1 foot deep  box    ( IF the wall is sheetrock with NO pipes or electrical ) 

18 to 20 inches of  space between the ports and the recessed  wall should be ample enough  to allow the ports to work , and , no need to touch the cabinets   .

15 minutes ago, OO1 said:

@Got_Horns       the only way around your problem is to create space between the wall and the ports .

move the speakers as far out as you can  from the wall   / 6  to 8  inches , then make a  sealed opening  in the wall , behind the speaker's ports  , let's  say   a 1 foot high x 1 foot deep  box    ( IF the wall is sheetrock with NO pipes or electrical ),-

18 to 20 inches of  space between the ports and the recessed  wall should be ample enough  to allow the ports to work , and , no need to touch the cabinets   .

Good suggestion, but it's in an RV...I'm not drilling holes in the outside wall. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Hi @Got_Horns

I have Martin DJango XLs that are ported this way.  I put a solid wood plate below them as a stand as my room needs the bass extension.  The OP does not want to cut the speakers so this really isn't an option. 

To answer the question, if he extends the port as a wrap around, it will change the tuning.  I'm with @wuzzzer, leave them alone. 

The thing that was not mentioned is that if the speakers are right against the wall, there will be reflections from the drivers.  Not optimal at all. 

• Like 1

If you are willing to move the ports to the front, I would get a calculator the can give you the correct rectangular/slot and put it in the front. But you are messing with Klipsch's design at this point. I've never liked ports on the back (or passives), but I'm certainly not an engineer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

If you are will to move the ports to the front, I would get a calculator the can give you the correct rectangular/slot and put it in the front. But you are messing with Klipsch's design at this point. I've never liked ports on the back (or passives), but I'm certainly not an engineer.

I think I'm going to do the wrap around and see how it sounds.. it's not in an optimal position now, so it might be an improvement.  If that doesn't work, I really like the down firing port.  Increasing the height of speaker would probably be beneficial anyway..

If you are willing to cut the bottom of the speakers, you can cut a large hole and build a short base with a front firing slot port.  Put a plug in the rear port and if you ever sell them, you can just include a base (piece of wood) with some feet from Partsexpress that can be attached to the bottom if someone wants the rear firing ports.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If you are willing to cut the bottom of the speakers, you can cut a large hole and build a short base with a front firing slot port.  Put a plug in the rear port and if you ever sell them, you can just include a base (piece of wood) with some feet from Partsexpress that can be attached to the bottom if someone wants the rear firing ports.

I like, where this is going...

7 hours ago, CCG said:

This is an interesting topic. I was actually panning to modify my kg-3.5 to a more added chamber  to increase the volume and switching the front to a back firing port. 

Why in the world would you make it rear ported?  Excuse my ignorance, but I don't see any advantage.  Only a disadvantage.