DEATH OF BLURAY ?

Bubo

We are blessed to have purchased so much physical released music over the years. The 'streaming' bit does not go well for many of us out in the sticks where quality/reasonable internet is not the norm. And 'quality' (compressed to death?) reliable streaming from what I understand sometimes rotates, removing albums/titles you love...while paying monthly? We're all good here with crap intenet. And with some of today's music...go for it! 😅 yeah..and get off our property! We're not very peoply! We get into a city, we cannot wait to get right back out~ 👌 Sometimes, the supposed 'majority' can sure screw things up. Build Back Better!

• Like 3

I have drawers full of the following:

Vhs tapes

Vhs-s tapes

Vhs-Digital tapes

Sony 8 tapes

Sony Hi 8 tapes

Sony digital tapes

Sony Betacam SP tapes

Mini DV tapes

CD 's

Mini CD's

DVD's

BluRay's

8 Track tapes

Cassette tapes

Floppy discs

They will all be politely "discarded" when I go to my great reward.

JJK

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 10:26 PM, Mighty Favog said:

Gee, at this rate Beta and reel-to-reel will be back....

For pro TV broadcast use, Beta never went away, unless it's been replaced by digital recording.

1 hour ago, Islander said:

For pro TV broadcast use, Beta never went away, unless it's been replaced by digital recording.

Pretty much gone. You couldn't record full hd on tape, much less 4k video. Most movies are shot in digital as well.

Tape can still be used but

Betacam is now a digital format and tape is really going away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Pretty much gone. You couldn't record full hd on tape, much less 4k video. Most movies are shot in digital as well.

Tape can still be used but

Betacam is now a digital format and tape is really going away.

Yeah, that makes sense.  Years ago, I accompanied a buddy, who worked for TSN (The Sports Network), to a motorbike race.  I carried his big and heavy tripod, while he carried his pro Betacam.  This would have been in the late 1980s.  Man, the time flies.  Anyway, he was to cover the afternoon's races, but had only been given three 10-minute cassettes.  Obviously, he could only grab the highlights, but you often don't know which parts were the highlights until it's over and you can see the whole race, never mind several races over an afternoon.  It called for some guesswork and anticipation on his part, but with that level of involvement, it was clear that the "stick-and-ball" sports got all the coverage, with bike racing seen as a small niche event, not of large-scale interest.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 10:37 PM, sunburnwilly said:

I have several of the old desirable videophile "letter box" VHS tapes if you're interested 👍 

I was a Betamax gambler myself....   about the only thing I regrett tossing in the trash and/or gaving away were all my LP's.  No worries with tossing the 8 tracks, cassett's... but ditching the LP's and 45's left a hole in my heart and long standing regrett.

• Like 2

For various reasons, my late wife and I tossed about 300 LPs, back an the late '70s. I regret it all the time. A close friend worked at the local college radio station (before public radio really came about). They got tons of LPs every month, most of which they didn't want. I got to filter through and listen to lots of music. I had two of the first James Taylor LP on Apple Records. Both gone... and there were others. If one had foresight and space, it would have been great to just take them all and store them until the day came when even a few were valuable.

• Like 2