K-691 replacement on 510 horn

diamonddelts

23 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

I'd think twice about mounting an AXI on a 510.  Can't you buy another 691 from Klipsch?

Not a good match? I believe @MMurg has these on the 18x10's with good results and those are similar to the 510 I believe

22 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

Looking for a drop in replacement for a K-691 on a 510 horn. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

The 691 is a rebadged B&C de75 with a "hardened" diaphragm and according to the Chief can be substituted without crossover changes. The original B&C de75-8p has been discontinued but there is a couple newer options I'm just not sure how close they are to the one Klipsch used:

https://usspeaker.com/B&C-DE75PTN-1.htm

https://www.parts-express.com/B-C-DE750TN-8-2-Titanium-Horn-Driver-8-Ohm-4-Bolt-294-615?quantity=1

C001457F-30F1-4404-8F75-8E89474F5CFF.jpeg.ba4f762eeca9a749bcc3626d002f998c.jpeg

Sorry for confusion. Using a 3 way crossover from Klipsch with KT-1133 HP on 402 and K-691 on 510. I would like to keep 3 way setup but switch the K691 with another driver.

Could the Faital Pro HF-200 work as a drop in replacement on the 510? Doing some last minute tinkering before I make final decision to stay or move on to other options.

2 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Too heavy?

Looks like a 6.5lb weight difference wonder if some sort of support mechanism could be made, maybe a "Z" bracket?

AXI 2050:

Specifications: • Power handling: 150 watts RMS (AES Standard) • Impedance: 8 ohms • Frequency response: 300-20,000 Hz • Sensitivity: 108 dB 1W/1m • Dimensions: 7.8" dia. x 4.4" D • Weight: 16.5 lbs.

B&C de75-8:

Net Weight 9.9 lbs./ 4.5 kg.

40 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Looks like a 6.5lb weight difference wonder if some sort of support mechanism could be made, maybe a "Z" bracket?

AXI 2050:

Specifications: • Power handling: 150 watts RMS (AES Standard) • Impedance: 8 ohms • Frequency response: 300-20,000 Hz • Sensitivity: 108 dB 1W/1m • Dimensions: 7.8" dia. x 4.4" D • Weight: 16.5 lbs.

B&C de75-8:

Net Weight 9.9 lbs./ 4.5 kg.

Yes, I have an Axi2050 on a horn that is slightly larger than a K-510.  However, I have a steel bracket between the horn and driver supporting the weight.

Regardless, the Axi2050 is not an appropriate "drop in" replacement for the K-691 if using the existing passive crossover.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, babadono said:

@diamonddelts you have done a lot of "tinkering" to use your word with these speakers and it seems to me you were never happy. I THINK the crossover you have is for behind the movie screen applications. What have you done to correct for the boosted high end?

I am actually quite happy with my speakers at the moment.  I'm only using my prepros onboard eq to dial back some of the hf. But often times I turn the eq off. I like my treble a little hot. It's hard for me to leave things alone and it's always in my nature to see if there's any incremental increases in performance to be had. It's the reason i've owned over sixty different speakers and subwoofers.

I also routinely redo my home gym yearly. I will also update high end tvs and commercial blenders at the drop of a hat. And I've been known to redecorate a entire house because I bought one new rug. It drives my family crazy. Lol. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

I am actually quite happy with my speakers at the moment.  I'm only using my prepros onboard eq to dial back some of the hf. But often times I turn the eq off. I like my treble a little hot. It's hard for me to leave things alone and it's always in my nature to see if there's any incremental increases in performance to be had.

I'm kind of in the same boat with my custom kpt-325's behind the screen factory passive crossovers slight bass boost, minus one on the treble dial and running tube amps make them sing beautifully. I swapped out the k-48's for some nice Beyma 15's awhile back and wow what a difference mostly in the upper bass and lower midrange I wasn't expecting that but they keep up and blend with the compression drivers much better now. Of course that got me thinking about compression driver upgrades but my set up really sounds the best it ever has and I like the simplicity of passive crossovers plug and play maybe some day I'll get the itch and go active, open the door for more experiments.  

• Like 1